• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question in concern about open carrying....

lucky13

Hey there, Im Andrew I have an important question upon open carrying? Ok I know Ky is gold star state for open carry.. But I just turned 18 yesterday does this mean I can go out and about with my revolver on my side in plain view and not get anything but look downs? Or do I have to have a permit to do so? I live in manchester if that helps

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey there, Im Andrew I have an important question upon open carrying? Ok I know Ky is gold star state for open carry.. But I just turned 18 yesterday does this mean I can go out and about with my revolver on my side in plain view and not get anything but look downs? Or do I have to have a permit to do so? I live in manchester if that helps

Responding with the assumption that you are not an otherwise restricted person and that you do not carry where not legal, basically yes that is the case.

Kentucky is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is constitutionally protected with court precedent and law enforcement is aware of its legality.
http://opencarry.org/ky.html

Do strongly encourage that you learn the laws and conduct yourself responsibly. Recommend a good retention holster and a pleasant demeanor. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

While I understand this tongue-in-cheek response, a new poster deserves a little more patience than an old hand might be awarded. Might be better to invite him to a local meet n' greet - a lot more questions can be fielded in shorter order in such a setting. We were all new and green once. :D

neuroblades

While I understand this tongue-in-cheek response, a new poster deserves a little more patience than an old hand might be awarded. Might be better to invite him to a local meet n' greet - a lot more questions can be fielded in shorter order in such a setting. We were all new and green once. :D

I couldn't have said it better myself, Grapeshot!.

neuroblades

Where is the next Kentucky Meet n' Greet?! I'll be there!

We had been trying to get one setup for Eastern Ky. that would be in the Huntington WV area but thus far, not many folks seem interested enough to attend. There had been some folks from Southern Ohio that had one for the Northern Kentucky., Southern Ohio & Southern Indiana area but that was too far to drive for just a few hours M&G.

Sadly it seems that M&G's never seem to work out unless there's some gun group backing it.

09jisaac

We had been trying to get one setup for Eastern Ky. that would be in the Huntington WV area but thus far, not many folks seem interested enough to attend. There had been some folks from Southern Ohio that had one for the Northern Kentucky., Southern Ohio & Southern Indiana area but that was too far to drive for just a few hours M&G.

Sadly it seems that M&G's never seem to work out unless there's some gun group backing it.

I'm in if you set a time and date....

neuroblades

Kentucky Meet & Greet

OK, this is the topic heading for that thread, keep a watch out on it for more info as I gather a few more people. I'll be directing those in the WV area to keep an eye on it as well. I doubt we'll have alot of folks but it would be great to have a M&G for the Eastern Kentucky/Western WV area, even if we have to take it to the Huntington area! *LOL*

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?97700-OC-Meet-amp-Greet-in-Huntington-WV

Last edited:

09jisaac

I honestly figured he would only make a few posts and never come back. That is the only thing that bothers me, every newbie want to come here, make a duplicate thread of EXACTLY the same thing, and to never be seen from again. These people with 300+/- post who don't bother to use the search is alright with me, I don't like the search so I just guess that there isn't a thread about what what I am wanting and make it, I assume they do too. But these single question people has got to KNOW that there has to be at least one more thread about what they're wanting and they come here, post the question and only a few more times and then they're never heard from again.

DrakeZ07

I'll join if I can get a date and time 2 weeks in advance
Not to steal from Neuro's recruitment for his event thingy~ But since you're in Lexington, Autoxr, and myself are working out a lil shoot and OC thing at the shooting range in Bath county, Clear Creek range, either this weekend or next, haven't got a solid date and time yet, bring snacks, and drinks, rifle and a pistol, I got food covered. Your welcome to tag along, as it's much closer than WVA :p

Just pop on over; http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?98004-Clear-Creek-Shooting-Range-Salt-Lick-KY

Last edited:

Johnburns15

Not to steal from Neuro's recruitment for his event thingy~ But since you're in Lexington, Autoxr, and myself are working out a lil shoot and OC thing at the shooting range in Bath county, Clear Creek range, either this weekend or next, haven't got a solid date and time yet, bring snacks, and drinks, rifle and a pistol, I got food covered. Your welcome to tag along, as it's much closer than WVA :p

Just pop on over; http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?98004-Clear-Creek-Shooting-Range-Salt-Lick-KY

Let me know a date and I'll see what I can get worked out lol

KYGlockster

Activist Member

Completely agreed!, the only way to get newcomers interested and wanting to hang around is by answering their questions and being courteous. If we attack newcomers with ill remarks, they would certainly think we are not the friendly bunch of gun owners MOST of us want to be portrayed as. I do recall a recent post where you slammed the search bar issac, because of what a mess it is. If you don't like it, should anyone else have to? Personally I never use it, and frankly, a newcomer would be hard pressed to even realize
what the little tiny white bar with a magnifying glass is. I never paid any attention to it until someone made a rude comment to me about it.

However, to answer your question new guy, you most assuredly can openly carry you revolver pretty much anywhere. I suggest you look up KRS chapters 237 and 527 on the state legislature webpage, these are firearm laws, and arrest laws for firearm violations. To sum up the basics, you can't carry within 1,000ft of a school zone, meaning any school district owned property, and k-12 schools. You can't carry in a bar, or any place that serves alcohol by the drink with a loaded firearm, unless that place makes over 50% if it's annual income from food sales, places like TGI Fridays, Red Lobster, Texas Road House, Etc., you can carry loaded in those restaraunts, and others like them. If you are going
into a place with a no firearm sign on the door, you can ignore the sign and still enter the premises, however, if you are asked to leave, you must leave, or you can be arrested for criminal trespass. In krs 237.110, it states places off limits, however most of these places are only off limits with concealed firearms. The places you CAN carry openly, but NOT concealed are police/sheriff departments, any meeting of a governing body of a city or county, or any meeting of the general assembly. Colleges and universities can ban deadly weapons, however you can carry at these places and not be charged with a crime, but you would certainly experience some issues that you wouldn't want to experience, if you are a student at the college and carry, they can sanction you, or you could lose your right to attend the college altogether, so I would not risk carrying at a college openly, at least until this unconstitutional ban is fought in court. Please don't take my word as law, I
suggest you research everything I have told you, and print it out if possible. Also check into the supreme court case Holland Vs Commonwealth, and I suggest memorizing every law that applies to firearms, in case you need that information one day. The most important KRS you should study on first is 65.870, 237.104, 237.106, parts of 237.110, and 244.125. While your in your vehicle, you can place your revolver on the dash, or in any factory installed storage compartment, as long as it's enclosed, like glove compartment, consoles, etc.. You can find all the KRS at http://lrc.ky.gov/krs/titles.htm, enjoy, learn, and carry on. You probably should check out krs chapter 503 as well, it has Ky's self defense laws, like our castle doctrine, and stand your ground laws. If I've missed anything, help me out folks..

Last edited:

09jisaac

Completely agreed!, the only way to get newcomers interested and wanting to hang around is by answering their questions and being courteous. If we attack newcomers with ill remarks, they would certainly think we are not the friendly bunch of gun owners MOST of us want to be portrayed as. I do recall a recent post where you slammed the search bar issac, because of what a mess it is. If you don't like it, should anyone else have to? Personally I never use it, and frankly, a newcomer would be hard pressed to even realize
what the little tiny white bar with a magnifying glass is. I never paid any attention to it until someone made a rude comment to me about it.

I still don't use the search bar, one of my links was two threads down from this one, and the other two was only a couple pages back. And he isn't a newcomer, he is a one time user only, it took him more time to sign up for an account than what he used it.

When it is a topic that could be in the general discussion, the social lounge or a state forum I don't mind someone missing it and don't say anything to anyone. Like I have said before, the search on this site is soo bad, but it was already answered in a thread two under his. This is super specific and yet very generic. Being someone over the age of 18 and less than 21 and a Kentucky resident that likes guns? We have plenty and I don't have any problems with them. Look how many times this question has been asked (I EVEN ASKED IT), have I said anything to anyone for posting a genuine question before? No, but this one had the answer literally right there VVVV

I have noticed that most people who don't bother to read at least the 1st page of the forum to see that their question is there (usually if you want to know something you're not the only one) don't stick around too long. They just want to know one thing and only one.

If he comes back I will apologize for all of this ^^^. But until then I will stick by what I have said.

Johnburns15

I still don't use the search bar, one of my links was two threads down from this one, and the other two was only a couple pages back. And he isn't a newcomer, he is a one time user only, it took him more time to sign up for an account than what he used it.

When it is a topic that could be in the general discussion, the social lounge or a state forum I don't mind someone missing it and don't say anything to anyone. Like I have said before, the search on this site is soo bad, but it was already answered in a thread two under his. This is super specific and yet very generic. Being someone over the age of 18 and less than 21 and a Kentucky resident that likes guns? We have plenty and I don't have any problems with them. Look how many times this question has been asked (I EVEN ASKED IT), have I said anything to anyone for posting a genuine question before? No, but this one had the answer literally right there VVVV

I have noticed that most people who don't bother to read at least the 1st page of the forum to see that their question is there (usually if you want to know something you're not the only one) don't stick around too long. They just want to know one thing and only one.

If he comes back I will apologize for all of this ^^^. But until then I will stick by what I have said.

I agree. I've seen the same. There will be a post on a subject, then someone else will ask the exact question being discussed in the post right below there's. But then again. Alot of people don't even take the time to search or even browse previous posts, they ask a question, log off before they get an answer and are never heard from again. Lol