• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bowling or pool anyone

boyscout399

A reply

Norman,

As an avid outdoorsman, NRA member and gun owner, I respect your organization and its principals. Understand that no one is disputing the fact that your members are upstanding citizens and responsible firearms carriers. It is your right and choice to carry firearms openly in public despite what other people think. It is my right and choice, as a business owner, to allow guns in my establishment or not. Obviously, since we are a family recreation center, we do not permit firearms. I would think you would understand that.
This isn’t a matter of discrimination; it’s a matter of principal. If you can’t go anywhere as a group without your firearms that’s up to you. We would be happy to host your group but the guns would have to stay in the vehicles or at home. I ask you if you think a family bowling next to you would feel comfortable seeing guns in our center? Your organization may not care, but I do. Subjecting any of our customers to such an uncomfortable and controversial issue would be foolish from a business standpoint.
If our competition allows guns, and you guys can’t recreate without them, then they may be a better fit for your organization. I hope you understand our position.

Respectfully,

Tim Corley
President
Bowl New England, Inc.

And my response:
Tim,

From my experience carrying for the past 4 years I have found that the overwhelming majority of businesses allow us without question. I have also found that the overwhelming majority of customers at those businesses have told us that they feel safer not less safe when we are there. I respect your right to refuse our business. I just believe that it's not in your best interest as a business at all. Knowing that you are a gun free establishment makes you a target for crime. With instances of robbery on the rise, I think it would be wise to rethink your position and show people that your business would not be a target for crime because you support everyone's God given right to self defense. It's your property to do with what you wish. We will gladly take our business elsewhere and I will encourage my friends and family not to frequent your establishment.

Norman

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You all know the lay of your land and the people there far better than I could possibly guess.

That said - let me describe how we have handled this in my "neck of the woods":

We do NOT call or write and ask for permission, not ever.

We select an establishment and test the waters with 2 or 3 of our number. If all goes well, we tell the manager that we'd like to have a group of people get together one evening in about a month - do we need to make reservations, how should that be handled? Notice I presume that there are going to be no problems. On a one-to-one, face-to-face basis, the manager can see we are carrying and that we are the good guys.

If there are any objections, they can be addressed then in a cordial manner. We never refer to no signs, or why run good business away - that is argumentative in his place of business. What we do point out is that criminals do not openly carry, that people like to see us and I offer references of places we have been and our acceptance there. Then I suggest that he perhaps think about it and contact other businesses from our references and we'll talk again soon. I leave him with the impression that I respect him and any decision he might make.

Works for us - hopefully your mileage will not vary too much.

jonjon_jon

I agree with Grapeshot. Mistakes were made, we handled this poorly. In my opinion we should back off and let the dust settle and not push managements decision. In time we can approch them again if we don't back them into corner.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I agree with Grapeshot. Mistakes were made, we handled this poorly. In my opinion we should back off and let the dust settle and not push managements decision. In time we can approch them again if we don't back them into corner.

Don't think "mistakes" is the word I'd use. It is all part of a learning curve of what works best in your area.

We've earned our fair share of lumps and bruises along the way too. Trying hard to not repeat them and profit by what has been experienced. Heck, I even go so far as to take my hat off when talking to a manager type - curtious and shows respect, they can see my eyes better and gives their security cam a good view of my face + BGs don't do that. So body language is a tool that can be weilded effectively too.

Just sharing thoughts.