Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions on a 9mm?

opinions on a 9mm?

hey all since my P7 is getting older and parts are starting to break i want to replace it im looking for reccomendations for a 9mm. my only requirements are
    1. easily availible holsters
    2. easily operated left handed
    3. prefer full size weapon
    4. prefer to spend no more then $650 including ffl transfer fees(if applicable)

right now im looking at a glock 17 M&P 9 and M9, feel free to add in a pistol that you reccomed that isnt one of those 3

merry christmas
    joe
    Last edited by jwinkeler; 12-25-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp.

I cant comment on holster availability for Walthers, but the new PPQ which works with the P99 pistols seems to be a real nice shooter from what I'm hearing, one of the best box stock triggers and resets out there. I love my glock 19 gen4 and would have done the 17 but already have a full size 9mm. I would probably go the glock route, not fancy but neither are mules!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by jwinkeler View Post
    hey all since my P7 is getting older and parts are starting to break i want to replace it im looking for reccomendations for a 9mm. my only requirements are
    1. easily availible holsters
    2. easily operated left handed
    3. prefer full size weapon
    4. prefer to spend no more then $650 including ffl transfer fees(if applicable)

right now im looking at a glock 17 M&P 9 and M9, feel free to add in a pistol that you reccomed that isnt one of those 3

merry christmas
    joe
    Get a FNP FN9 not an FNX 9 available at buds guns for great pricing and is possibly the best 9mm out there straight out of the box

Don't get a glock.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am8qmOJ6j0g
    Last edited by EXTREMEOPS1; 12-26-2011 at 12:22 AM.
    "There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.

M&p is the best choice

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Never had any problems out of my Glocks. Go for the G17 or G19. My EDC used to be a 19 until I switched to my 30. The .45 is where my love lies now.
    "Ever notice once in a while you come across somebody you shouldn't have f***ed with......That's me." -Clint Eastwood "Gran Torino"

Quote Originally Posted by EXTREMEOPS1 View Post
    Get a FNP FN9 not an FNX 9 available at buds guns for great pricing and is possibly the best 9mm out there straight out of the box

Don't get a glock.....

Why not a Glock?

I would go for the glock 17 or 19.

I use a Don Hume holster, it works out good for me even in the summer, just were a baggy t shirt. $30.00

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...products_id=35

I had not shot my XDm compact 9mm in about two months. Took it to the range on Friday and snapped off a full 13 round mag, iron sights, and ALL the rounds went inside the 10 ring, two-handed, unsupported, 10 yards. I was a bit amazed. Apparently the size, weight, geometry are all perfect for me. It was so easy it felt like 'whoa, guess I don't need to go to the range anymore' (in a sense).

Idea is it's the gun you shoot well. If it had a slightly better trigger, I think I'd be an Annie Oakley or something, heh.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Quote Originally Posted by EXTREMEOPS1 View Post

Don't get a glock.....

I will say that if you want to find a holster for the FN 9 series guns, you will be looking for a while, they are few and far between.
    I do like those guns as well, but for concealable accurate pistols I would do the Glock, or the M&P, I just like glocks trigger better.

Tim

Activist Member
    The M9 is a good choice. It has ambidextrous an ambidextrous safety lever and you can switch the mag ejection to left handed. There is also the 92G which is the same gun that is decock only with no safety. Probably more holsters exist for the M9 than any gun other than the 1911.

You can get flush fit 18 round Mecgar mags, or 20 round Mecgar mags that barely stick out.

I can't really speak for the competition, but it is often the case that polymer framed semi-autos are very sensitive to limp-wristing. Many think I'm crazy when I want a gun that works regardless of how well I hold it, and say, well just hold the gun right and it works, but I figure I might not have the convenience of a perfect grip and stance when I'm trying to defend my life from the guy that is actively trying to beat me to death.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 12-26-2011 at 11:52 AM.

You should find a range that rents guns. Try out all the guns on your list. Only you will know what works for you.
    With that said I carry a Glock 17 Gen 4 and love it. Only modification I have added are night sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    I had not shot my XDm compact 9mm in about two months. Took it to the range on Friday and snapped off a full 13 round mag, iron sights, and ALL the rounds went inside the 10 ring, two-handed, unsupported, 10 yards. I was a bit amazed. Apparently the size, weight, geometry are all perfect for me. It was so easy it felt like 'whoa, guess I don't need to go to the range anymore' (in a sense).

Idea is it's the gun you shoot well. If it had a slightly better trigger, I think I'd be an Annie Oakley or something, heh.
    +1 on the XDM, plus you don't need to convert the magazine release for left handed, it already has a release on both sides. Don't need to worry about the safety being on the wrong side either as the safety is a grip safety similar to the beavertail on a 1911. The 13 rounds Badger mentions is the smaller of the 2 magazines the XDM 9 Compact comes with, the larger one holds 19 rounds.

And, of course, there is the added goodies in the box such as magazine holster, loader, slide lock with 2 keys (not sure of the technical term but it is a metal loop that goes through the ejection port and out the bottom of the grip to a padlock.

Any of the XDMs are nice firearms and right there in the price range you mentioned.

Wait, you're wanting to replace a P7 because it's breaking? Get that thing fixed! It's practically a collector's item!

If you don't want to carry it any more, that's totally understandable, as I'd say finding parts for that gun aren't easy or cheap.

And iff you don't want it, give it to me lol. The H&K P7 is one of those guns that I really want, but know I'll never be able to buy unless I get really lucky.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by jwinkeler View Post
    my P7 is getting older and parts are starting to break
    I have to ask what the heck are you doing to it to cause it to break?
    I have a P7M8 that I bought almost 20yrs ago and it's still running strong, it ate nothing but Nato spec and +P ammo.

Send it to H&K and have it fixed, imho.

If you just want another gun, I can always understand that but keep the H&K.
    Last edited by Marco; 12-30-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    Wait, you're wanting to replace a P7 because it's breaking? Get that thing fixed! It's practically a collector's item!

If you don't want to carry it any more, that's totally understandable, as I'd say finding parts for that gun aren't easy or cheap.

And iff you don't want it, give it to me lol. The H&K P7 is one of those guns that I really want, but know I'll never be able to buy unless I get really lucky.
    haha sorry i dont plan to get rid of it and agent i dont have a clue, since mine is getting old i plan to carry it on fancier? (the word im looking for escapes me at the moment) occasions and yea ill probably send her to H&K
    Last edited by jwinkeler; 12-31-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp.

Another +1 on the xdm. Beautiful guns and it even comes with a paddle holster!

I own a glock 19 And never had a problem with it

Not really sure about holsters but what about a baby eagle? they come in a 9mm and are around 510 bucks I own the lager version
    and haven't had any issues with it.

9mm.... save the money, throw eggs instead..

I am sure there are a whole lot of dead people that wish it was an egg that hit them in place of that 115 , 124 , or 147 gr. 9MM.

I like .45acp myself but also own 9mm .

True enough, but Im sure there almost as many dead folks who wish they'd been throwing eggs instead of counting on those 9's to save them...

+ another one forr xdm compact...I love mine... s&w mp has ambi sliide release I think which would b good for u

Anyone who says the 9mm is not an effective self-defense round is either trying to sell you something bigger, or they are just plain ignorant.

Modern self-defense ammo has brought the 9mm into VERY respectable performance ranges for self-defense. HydraShoks, PDX-1, or any of the other well-known, commercial self-defense ammo is LIGHT-YEARS ahead of the standard-issue FMJ NATO ammo upon which most "old timers", LEOs and military folk base their "knowledge" on 9mm effectiveness.

Smaller bullet weight combined with MUCH higher velocity and VERY advanced "expanding projectile" designs combine to provide a VERY effective anti-personnel round in modern 9mm self-defense ammo, especially when used in a full-sized handgun.

And this is coming from a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 guy who carries NOTHING but .45acp (sometimes I carry a Glock 36). I have owned 9mm handguns before, and have found them to be every bit as reliable and accurate (and CONSIDERABLY cheaper to shoot) than the "big guns" like .45acp, 44 Magnum, or .357 Magnum.

Don't listen to the anti-9mm hype.

If you want a 9mm, get one--and put good ammo in it. You'll be OK.
    Last edited by Dreamer; 01-02-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Anyone who says the 9mm is not an effective self-defense round is either trying to sell you something bigger, or they are just plain ignorant.

Modern self-defense ammo has brought the 9mm into VERY respectable performance ranges for self-defense. HydraShoks, PDX-1, or any of the other well-known, commercial self-defense ammo is LIGHT-YEARS ahead of the standard-issue FMJ NATO ammo upon which most "old timers", LEOs and military folk base their "knowledge" on 9mm effectiveness.

Smaller bullet weight combined with MUCH higher velocity and VERY advanced "expanding projectile" designs combine to provide a VERY effective anti-personnel round in modern 9mm self-defense ammo, especially when used in a full-sized handgun.

And this is coming from a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 guy who carries NOTHING but .45acp (sometimes I carry a Glock 36). I have owned 9mm handguns before, and have found them to be every bit as reliable and accurate (and CONSIDERABLY cheaper to shoot) than the "big guns" like .45acp, 44 Magnum, or .357 Magnum.

Don't listen to the anti-9mm hype.

If you want a 9mm, get one--and put good ammo in it. You'll be OK.
    This is dead on true but I would suggest against using thre Federal HydraShok. Three of the top loads in 9mm are the Federal HST in all four of its configurations (especially the 147gr +P), the Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP (Law Enforcement use, #53617), and the Winchester Ranger 127gr RA9TA +P+ load. There are a bunch of other loads that are also high quality and worth considering, but these three seem to have excellent street records. Before using the RA9TA Ranger load, be certain your gun will handle the pressure. This is a VERY high pressure load coming in at around 42,000 psi.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Relax, ladies, it was mostly in jest, and sarcasm.

That said though, my own experiences-plus other experiences I have witnessed-in the real world, where people wear clothing and arent made of ballistic gelatin, the results of 9mm use-regardless of make/type/weight/ of ammo, have been far less than impressive. Enough so, that I would not voluntarily/willingly rely on such for defensive use, and would not, in good conscience, suggest to someone that they should make use of it, either.
    Last edited by j4l; 01-02-2012 at 01:08 PM.

I'm a Lefty and I've been VERY happy with my Springfield Armory XD-9.

I live in Warrenton and would be more than happy to meet you so that you can give it a try at the range. PM me if interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast