• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

opinions on a 9mm?

hobie16

+ another one forr xdm compact...I love mine... s&w mp has ambi sliide release I think which would b good for u

Dreamer

Anyone who says the 9mm is not an effective self-defense round is either trying to sell you something bigger, or they are just plain ignorant.

Modern self-defense ammo has brought the 9mm into VERY respectable performance ranges for self-defense. HydraShoks, PDX-1, or any of the other well-known, commercial self-defense ammo is LIGHT-YEARS ahead of the standard-issue FMJ NATO ammo upon which most "old timers", LEOs and military folk base their "knowledge" on 9mm effectiveness.

Smaller bullet weight combined with MUCH higher velocity and VERY advanced "expanding projectile" designs combine to provide a VERY effective anti-personnel round in modern 9mm self-defense ammo, especially when used in a full-sized handgun.

And this is coming from a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 guy who carries NOTHING but .45acp (sometimes I carry a Glock 36). I have owned 9mm handguns before, and have found them to be every bit as reliable and accurate (and CONSIDERABLY cheaper to shoot) than the "big guns" like .45acp, 44 Magnum, or .357 Magnum.

Don't listen to the anti-9mm hype.

If you want a 9mm, get one--and put good ammo in it. You'll be OK.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Anyone who says the 9mm is not an effective self-defense round is either trying to sell you something bigger, or they are just plain ignorant.

Modern self-defense ammo has brought the 9mm into VERY respectable performance ranges for self-defense. HydraShoks, PDX-1, or any of the other well-known, commercial self-defense ammo is LIGHT-YEARS ahead of the standard-issue FMJ NATO ammo upon which most "old timers", LEOs and military folk base their "knowledge" on 9mm effectiveness.

Smaller bullet weight combined with MUCH higher velocity and VERY advanced "expanding projectile" designs combine to provide a VERY effective anti-personnel round in modern 9mm self-defense ammo, especially when used in a full-sized handgun.

And this is coming from a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 guy who carries NOTHING but .45acp (sometimes I carry a Glock 36). I have owned 9mm handguns before, and have found them to be every bit as reliable and accurate (and CONSIDERABLY cheaper to shoot) than the "big guns" like .45acp, 44 Magnum, or .357 Magnum.

Don't listen to the anti-9mm hype.

If you want a 9mm, get one--and put good ammo in it. You'll be OK.

This is dead on true but I would suggest against using thre Federal HydraShok. Three of the top loads in 9mm are the Federal HST in all four of its configurations (especially the 147gr +P), the Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP (Law Enforcement use, #53617), and the Winchester Ranger 127gr RA9TA +P+ load. There are a bunch of other loads that are also high quality and worth considering, but these three seem to have excellent street records. Before using the RA9TA Ranger load, be certain your gun will handle the pressure. This is a VERY high pressure load coming in at around 42,000 psi.

j4l

Relax, ladies, it was mostly in jest, and sarcasm. :rolleyes:

That said though, my own experiences-plus other experiences I have witnessed-in the real world, where people wear clothing and arent made of ballistic gelatin, the results of 9mm use-regardless of make/type/weight/ of ammo, have been far less than impressive. Enough so, that I would not voluntarily/willingly rely on such for defensive use, and would not, in good conscience, suggest to someone that they should make use of it, either.

Last edited:

jsfrederick

I'm a Lefty and I've been VERY happy with my Springfield Armory XD-9.

I live in Warrenton and would be more than happy to meet you so that you can give it a try at the range. PM me if interested.

berngren

You should try all the different types of 9mm that you like. It's not about shooting because it's a Glock, MP9, or etc. It's about what feel comfortable for you, and what you could handle in the time of emergency. There are many different types of 9's out there. You have to select what you are going to feel comfortable with in the time of that emergency. I don't say buy the cheapest firearm. By a reliable one that will be suitable for you. I have handle, shot, and owned most of the popular 9's out there. (Glock, M&P, FN, SIG, HK, ETC..) I find most of them are reliable. It's a choice of make, reliability, steel or plastic materials. I own SIG 226 (40/357 SIG), SIG 229 40cal, SIG 250 40 compact, SIG 250 fullsize 9mm, and FN 5.7. I like to shoot them all, and can rely on any of them for self defense. I can carry any of them conceal. Out of all of them, FN 5.7 is my favorite, then the SIG 250 9MM. I practice the most with them.

Narrow your search down to what meet your criteria. Ensure you can handle it. Buy it! Practice! Practice! Practice until you and the firearm are one. Good Luck on your choice.

jwinkeler

I'm a Lefty and I've been VERY happy with my Springfield Armory XD-9.

I live in Warrenton and would be more than happy to meet you so that you can give it a try at the range. PM me if interested.

jsfrederick Thank you for the offer i greatly appreciate it and thank you everyone for the input, Friday I bought an M&P over the XD because the grip angle felt better, thanks for the ideas on ammunition Aswell
And happy new years for all!
Joe

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

jsfrederick Thank you for the offer i greatly appreciate it and thank you everyone for the input, Friday I bought an M&P over the XD because the grip angle felt better, thanks for the ideas on ammunition Aswell
Joe

If you want some info about how to make your new M&P's trigger better, PM me and I'd be happy to help you along with tips and ideas.

09jisaac

Joe

It seems like there is much love for the M&P, and I would have to agree with them.

DeeGee

hey all since my P7 is getting older and parts are starting to break i want to replace it im looking for reccomendations for a 9mm. my only requirements are
1. easily availible holsters
2. easily operated left handed
3. prefer full size weapon
4. prefer to spend no more then $650 including ffl transfer fees(if applicable)

right now im looking at a glock 17 M&P 9 and M9, feel free to add in a pistol that you reccomed that isnt one of those 3

merry christmas
joe

An HK P30 is one of the best guns ever made. There was a crazy endurance test on pistol-training.com where one was fired 92,000 times with something like 9 cleanings. CRAZY!! It doesn't meet your $650 criteria but it'll be a pistol that will not need to be replaced from getting worn out or breaking. I carry one in .40 s&w and love it.

Good luck.

SGB

M&P 9c

f0dxlc.jpg

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran

Joe
Congrats on the new purchase!

Buying a gun is a lot like buying shoes... Just because it is a great shoe doesn't mean it is great for your foot. In the same sense, gun has gotta fit your hand comfortably.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
hey all since my P7 is getting older and parts are starting to break i want to replace it im looking for reccomendations for a 9mm. my only requirements are
1. easily availible holsters
2. easily operated left handed
3. prefer full size weapon
4. prefer to spend no more then $650 including ffl transfer fees(if applicable)

right now im looking at a glock 17 M&P 9 and M9, feel free to add in a pistol that you reccomed that isnt one of those 3

merry christmas
joe

My wife carries a Sig sp2022 that shoots great, works left or right (she is right handed but shoots better left, more hand strength in her left hand), and picked up a paddle holster for it pretty easy. I use a Ruger p95 that works in either hand as well, but you have to go with a generic holster for it since it has an odd profile/protrusion on the left side that I've only ever seen with this gun. I spent $400, or thereabouts, on each of them.

Glock19fan

Relax, ladies, it was mostly in jest, and sarcasm. :rolleyes:

That said though, my own experiences-plus other experiences I have witnessed-in the real world, where people wear clothing and arent made of ballistic gelatin, the results of 9mm use-regardless of make/type/weight/ of ammo, have been far less than impressive. Enough so, that I would not voluntarily/willingly rely on such for defensive use, and would not, in good conscience, suggest to someone that they should make use of it, either.

There are plenty of good 9mm rounds out there that make it nearly just as good as the 40 and 45, and there are plenty of reports of bad guys taking multiple rounds of 40, and 45, and still living to make it another day. There seems to be a misconseption that the 45 ACP will pick a man up an throw him 10 feet and end the fight with one shot if even a poor one. Case in point, I shot a 30-40 lb coyote about a month ago with my 30-06 at a range of about 25 yards using reloads topped with 150gr Hornday SSTs at a chronoed 2975 fps and with nearly 3000 ft lbs of energy. Shot placement was good just behind the shoulder and guess what, it ran about 30 yards before dropping. By all means it should been DRT as his whole lower chest cavity was gone and I think that the 30-06 is a little more powerful than most 9, 40s, and 45s.
A couple of things come to mind with this as its always a hot topic, they are bullet construction, penetration, placement and the state of mind of the intended target. With a good bonded JHP in 9mm you will get good expansion, and at least 12-16 inches of penetration. At the end of the day bullet placemet is going to trump all. I will take the extra money that I will save with a 9mm over the others and buy more bullets, which in turn means more pracitice, better profiencey which generally will make you a better shot.
Do I think that the 9mm is the best, no I dont, but neither is the 40, and 45. Any high power rifle is much better such as an AR-15, but who is going to carry one of those around all of the time? Handguns give LEOs more time to try to get to something more powerfull like their rifles.
I say choose a sensible cartridge for personal protection, one that you can shoot well, top it off with a good bonded JHP, go practice and the odds will be in your favor.

E.J.

Last edited: