• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

opinions on a 9mm?

jwinkeler

hey all since my P7 is getting older and parts are starting to break i want to replace it im looking for reccomendations for a 9mm. my only requirements are
1. easily availible holsters
2. easily operated left handed
3. prefer full size weapon
4. prefer to spend no more then $650 including ffl transfer fees(if applicable)

right now im looking at a glock 17 M&P 9 and M9, feel free to add in a pistol that you reccomed that isnt one of those 3

merry christmas
joe

Last edited:

tim12232

I cant comment on holster availability for Walthers, but the new PPQ which works with the P99 pistols seems to be a real nice shooter from what I'm hearing, one of the best box stock triggers and resets out there. I love my glock 19 gen4 and would have done the 17 but already have a full size 9mm. I would probably go the glock route, not fancy but neither are mules!

Tim

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
hey all since my P7 is getting older and parts are starting to break i want to replace it im looking for reccomendations for a 9mm. my only requirements are
1. easily availible holsters
2. easily operated left handed
3. prefer full size weapon
4. prefer to spend no more then $650 including ffl transfer fees(if applicable)

right now im looking at a glock 17 M&P 9 and M9, feel free to add in a pistol that you reccomed that isnt one of those 3

merry christmas
joe
Get a FNP FN9 not an FNX 9 available at buds guns for great pricing and is possibly the best 9mm out there straight out of the box

Don't get a glock.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am8qmOJ6j0g

Last edited:

G30Mike

Never had any problems out of my Glocks. Go for the G17 or G19. My EDC used to be a 19 until I switched to my 30. The .45 is where my love lies now. :cool:

cazman1954

Badger Johnson

I had not shot my XDm compact 9mm in about two months. Took it to the range on Friday and snapped off a full 13 round mag, iron sights, and ALL the rounds went inside the 10 ring, two-handed, unsupported, 10 yards. I was a bit amazed. Apparently the size, weight, geometry are all perfect for me. It was so easy it felt like 'whoa, guess I don't need to go to the range anymore' (in a sense).

Idea is it's the gun you shoot well. If it had a slightly better trigger, I think I'd be an Annie Oakley or something, heh.

tim12232

Get a FNP FN9 not an FNX 9 available at buds guns for great pricing and is possibly the best 9mm out there straight out of the box

Don't get a glock.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am8qmOJ6j0g

I will say that if you want to find a holster for the FN 9 series guns, you will be looking for a while, they are few and far between.
I do like those guns as well, but for concealable accurate pistols I would do the Glock, or the M&P, I just like glocks trigger better.

Tim

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
The M9 is a good choice. It has ambidextrous an ambidextrous safety lever and you can switch the mag ejection to left handed. There is also the 92G which is the same gun that is decock only with no safety. Probably more holsters exist for the M9 than any gun other than the 1911.

You can get flush fit 18 round Mecgar mags, or 20 round Mecgar mags that barely stick out.

I can't really speak for the competition, but it is often the case that polymer framed semi-autos are very sensitive to limp-wristing. Many think I'm crazy when I want a gun that works regardless of how well I hold it, and say, well just hold the gun right and it works, but I figure I might not have the convenience of a perfect grip and stance when I'm trying to defend my life from the guy that is actively trying to beat me to death.

Last edited:

N605TW

Activist Member
You should find a range that rents guns. Try out all the guns on your list. Only you will know what works for you.
With that said I carry a Glock 17 Gen 4 and love it. Only modification I have added are night sights.

scouser

I had not shot my XDm compact 9mm in about two months. Took it to the range on Friday and snapped off a full 13 round mag, iron sights, and ALL the rounds went inside the 10 ring, two-handed, unsupported, 10 yards. I was a bit amazed. Apparently the size, weight, geometry are all perfect for me. It was so easy it felt like 'whoa, guess I don't need to go to the range anymore' (in a sense).

Idea is it's the gun you shoot well. If it had a slightly better trigger, I think I'd be an Annie Oakley or something, heh.

+1 on the XDM, plus you don't need to convert the magazine release for left handed, it already has a release on both sides. Don't need to worry about the safety being on the wrong side either as the safety is a grip safety similar to the beavertail on a 1911. The 13 rounds Badger mentions is the smaller of the 2 magazines the XDM 9 Compact comes with, the larger one holds 19 rounds.

And, of course, there is the added goodies in the box such as magazine holster, loader, slide lock with 2 keys (not sure of the technical term but it is a metal loop that goes through the ejection port and out the bottom of the grip to a padlock.

Any of the XDMs are nice firearms and right there in the price range you mentioned.

SovereignAxe

Wait, you're wanting to replace a P7 because it's breaking? Get that thing fixed! It's practically a collector's item!

If you don't want to carry it any more, that's totally understandable, as I'd say finding parts for that gun aren't easy or cheap.

And iff you don't want it, give it to me lol. The H&K P7 is one of those guns that I really want, but know I'll never be able to buy unless I get really lucky.

Marco

my P7 is getting older and parts are starting to break

I have to ask what the heck are you doing to it to cause it to break?
I have a P7M8 that I bought almost 20yrs ago and it's still running strong, it ate nothing but Nato spec and +P ammo.

Send it to H&K and have it fixed, imho.

If you just want another gun, I can always understand that but keep the H&K.

Last edited:

jwinkeler

Wait, you're wanting to replace a P7 because it's breaking? Get that thing fixed! It's practically a collector's item!

If you don't want to carry it any more, that's totally understandable, as I'd say finding parts for that gun aren't easy or cheap.

And iff you don't want it, give it to me lol. The H&K P7 is one of those guns that I really want, but know I'll never be able to buy unless I get really lucky.

haha sorry i dont plan to get rid of it and agent i dont have a clue, since mine is getting old i plan to carry it on fancier? (the word im looking for escapes me at the moment) occasions and yea ill probably send her to H&K

Last edited:

darby

Not really sure about holsters but what about a baby eagle? they come in a 9mm and are around 510 bucks I own the lager version
and haven't had any issues with it.

j4l

True enough, but Im sure there almost as many dead folks who wish they'd been throwing eggs instead of counting on those 9's to save them...:rolleyes: