• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

mcl.. 28.425f ticket

rvd4now

what if im stop less say in the parking lot of wallmart for open carrying

does this apply

28.425f Concealed pistol license; possession; disclosure to police officer; violation; penalty; seizure; forfeiture; "peace officer" defined.
Sec. 5f.

(1) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that pistol in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

(2) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a peace officer upon request by that peace officer:

(a) His or her license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) His or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card.

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.

say i have a bug in the car.. now when i say im stoped im comming from inside the store and am walking to my car

lapeer20m

the problem is that it is a poorly written law. The mcl is written from the perspective of a traffic stop. If you are stopped while driving your vehicle, and you are carrying a pistol in the vehicle under authority of your cpl, then you would be required to disclose.

In the scenario you present, I would say that you would NOT be required to disclose if you are stopped while walking outside of a store and happen to have a concealed pistol in your vehicle. What if you are walking to the store, and your vehicle is 20 miles away (with a loaded pistol inside) would you still be required to disclose? [rhetorical question]

When in doubt, it is ok to disclose.

If you actually got a ticket for this, I would contact attorney Dean Greanblat (sp?) and not talk about it on the web.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

For your bolded #3 above, this only applies when you are CARRYING, which the CPL allows "on or about your person". When you are not in your vehicle, it would be considered STORED and certainly hope securely.

IANAL!

Onnie

what if im stop less say in the parking lot of wallmart for open carrying

does this apply

28.425f Concealed pistol license; possession; disclosure to police officer; violation; penalty; seizure; forfeiture; "peace officer" defined.
Sec. 5f.

(1) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that pistol in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

(2) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a peace officer upon request by that peace officer:

(a) His or her license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) His or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card.

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.

say i have a bug in the car.. now when i say im stoped im comming from inside the store and am walking to my car

Open carrying and you have a cpl (you should if on Walmart Property since they have a liquor license), you are not carry concealing, therefor you do not have to disclose you are armed. he can see your gun. But you may be asked to show your cpl because of the liquor licenses to prove you have a cpl and are in compliance of the law. This law is about carrying concealed and you are not.

Take it away from Walmart and in a place where no liquor license is issued.

Lets say a public Park, you are at the slide, with your kids, you car is 100 yards away. You need no CPL. If a cop comes up to you, you are still within the the law. Even if the interaction is official, you are not required to show your CPL even if asked you are open carrying. If concealed, that is a total different story and you best disclose.

as far as the Car is concerned in Walmart's parking lot or at you local public park cpl or not, he has no idea what car is yours, assuming he was not following you and knows what car you came out of, why give him fodder for ammunition to use against you. If asked which car is yours change the subject or deflect the question. He would have to have probable cause to go in the car, why give it to him.

I view the Notification requirement to inform the officer you are carrying concealed is to inform the officer you are ARMED and MAYBE dangerous

that's my 2 cents worth, but with any stop YOU MUST do what YOU MUST do and not what I think you should do, IMO

Last edited:

xd shooter

If you are not personally IN the vehicle, then you are not in possession of the gun in the vehicle.

Therefore, no need to disclose. No I do not have a cite, my opinion only. :)

xd shooter

Onnie, A business having a liquor license does NOT prevent you form Carrying Concealed in Michigan.

28.425o Premises on which carrying concealed weapon prohibited; “premises” defined;
exceptions to subsection (1); violation; penalties

d) A bar or tavern licensed under the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1101
to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass
and consumed on the premises.

I'm not aware of any Wal-marts that sell by the glass and allow you to drink on the premises. If you know of one, Please let us know!

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Onnie, A business having a liquor license does NOT prevent you form Carrying Concealed in Michigan.

I'm not aware of any Wal-marts that sell by the glass and allow you to drink on the premises. If you know of one, Please let us know!

It's not even sell by glass and drink on premises. I'd have to be a bar or tavern which Walmart is def not that and Walmart definitely is not considered a place where their is consumption on premises.

lapeer20m

Onnie is correct. You two missed the point. You may not open carry on the premesis of any establishment that has a liquor license without a cpl. This includes walmart or a gas station that sells beer. Firearms cannot be possessed on the premises, even if they have a license and don't actually sell alcohol (unless you meet one of the exceptions: cpl, owner, employee...)

750.234d

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Onnie is correct. You two missed the point. You may not open carry on the premesis of any establishment that has a liquor license without a cpl. This includes walmart or a gas station that sells beer. Firearms cannot be possessed on the premises, even if they have a license and don't actually sell alcohol (unless you meet one of the exceptions: cpl, owner, employee...)

750.234d

Nonetheless he still does not need to provide CPL and tell he is carrying because there is a gun in the car and he is on the premises of a place with a liquor license.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator

750.234d

In simpler words, if you were on their property, and had a gun in your car, and no CPL, your butt is butter.

Whether they actually sell is beside the point.

xd shooter

What he wrote can be read 2 ways, I understand now what he probably meant, that if Open Carrying, One SHOULD (actually BETTER) have a CPL in any store with a liquor license.

I read it that one should be Open Carrying if in a store with a liquor license...:)

stainless1911

Banned
If he's there he MUST have a CPL, or permission from the owner. (best if in writing)

50.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 234d.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

(d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

Last edited:

Bronson

This is only my opinion based on some things I've read but since I can't find the cites and/or I am too lazy to look them up right now I'm sticking with this being just my opinion.

It depends on how close I am to my car. If I standing next to my vehicle I would disclose the BUG in the car. If I'm across the parking lot I wouldn't.

Bronson

Onnie

Nonetheless he still does not need to provide CPL and tell he is carrying because there is a gun in the car and he is on the premises of a place with a liquor license.

The question was put forth as walking in the parking lot of Walmart open carrying. If approached by a cop YES in my opinion you do need to show your CPL, if asked. it would be a lawful request since one needs a CPL to carry on Walmarts property because they sell liquor

if walmart gave permission and you have no cpl, show him your authorization
if no CPL or no authorization, bye bye!

I took the question as a customer visiting walmart

use MCL cited above

as far as it the gun in the car, why even bring it up, if ask by the cop deflect the question or refuse to answer, he will need probable cause to search the car, and you carrying a weapon in Walmarts parking lot is not IMO probable cause

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

The question was put forth as walking in the parking lot of Walmart open carrying. If approached by a cop YES in my opinion you do need to show your CPL, if asked. it would be a lawful request since one needs a CPL to carry on Walmarts property because they sell liquor

if walmart gave permission and you have no cpl, show him your authorization
if no CPL or no authorization, bye bye!

I took the question as a customer visiting walmart

use MCL cited above

as far as it the gun in the car, why even bring it up, if ask by the cop deflect the question or refuse to answer, he will need probable cause to search the car, and you carrying a weapon in Walmarts parking lot is not IMO probable cause

I disagree because I look at it differently. If you or anyone else chooses to because you are at a place where a CPL is needed and you want to ID yourself that's your choice. I do not think you are legally required to though. Just like you cannot be pulled over simply to check if you have a DL.

Yance

The thing about that is however, if the police officer has probable cause, they can stop you. If the officer approaching you knows the laws and the areas listed in MCL 750.234d he would be under the impression, and have probable cause to believe, you are violating MCL 750.234d until you can provide evidence that you are exempt.

I would even go as far as to say, if the officer saw you in your yard OC..then get into your car on your property (still legal cause its your property) but then drive away from your property it would give them reason to stop you because without already knowing if you are exempt under MCL 750.231a he would have reason to believe you are breaking the law.

Last edited: