Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Gig Harbor Costco

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gig harbor
    Posts
    25

    Gig Harbor Costco

    So when I was shopping at the gig harbor Costco had an employee come up and worn me that the new manager "Hates Guns" and to not be surprised if I was asked to leave. He was very cool and was a little upset about her attitude. Asked him if he knew what the corporate policy was and he did not. On the way out I grabbed a pamphlet that had the membership conditions in it, and there is still nothing in there about firearms. I know I have never had an issue with this Costco but if the new manager has it out for open carry wanted to let you all know about it. Hope that you all had a nice holiday.

    Also no one approached me about my carrying but the one employee warning me about the manager.

  2. #2
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    574
    Costco's corporate policy is no firearms. It is not listed in the member's agreement. Alot of members on here, myself included, have been through this with Costco before. Employees there told me to just conceal. Out of sight, out of mind sort of thing. I no longer have a Costco membership. When it expired I went and got Sam's Club. If you don't already have a CPL you should get one. It helps when you go to places like this.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran Bookman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    1,433
    Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    Costco's corporate policy is no firearms. It is not listed in the member's agreement. Alot of members on here, myself included, have been through this with Costco before. Employees there told me to just conceal. Out of sight, out of mind sort of thing. I no longer have a Costco membership. When it expired I went and got Sam's Club. If you don't already have a CPL you should get one. It helps when you go to places like this.
    Copy that! All of it.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke


    "I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

  4. #4
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,343
    Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    Costco's corporate policy is no firearms. It is not listed in the member's agreement. Alot of members on here, myself included, have been through this with Costco before. Employees there told me to just conceal. Out of sight, out of mind sort of thing. I no longer have a Costco membership. When it expired I went and got Sam's Club. If you don't already have a CPL you should get one. It helps when you go to places like this.
    I disagree that Costco has an anti-carry policy. If they did it would be in the membership agreement. If it is not in the membership agreement, it is unenforcable.

    If you are talking about that secretaries email that is circulating in the net...secretaries do not make policy decisions.

    It is my thought that they actually have no policy as concerns carry. It is most definately not stated one way or another in the membership agreement.

  5. #5
    Regular Member massivedesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Olympia, Washington, USA
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    If it is not in the membership agreement, it is unenforcable.
    Yhea... Go ahead and try that, let us know how it works out for you. Private property is private property, they are allowed to "Refuse Service to anybody, for any reason". Now, since it is not written in the terms of your membership, you may get a refund of your membership fees if you cancel because of it. If they ask you to leave, you have to leave. Refuse and you can/will be trespassed.
    www.WaGuns.org

    Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,560

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by massivedesign View Post
    Yhea... Go ahead and try that, let us know how it works out for you. Private property is private property, they are allowed to "Refuse Service to anybody, for any reason". Now, since it is not written in the terms of your membership, you may get a refund of your membership fees if you cancel because of it. If they ask you to leave, you have to leave. Refuse and you can/will be trespassed.
    This.

  7. #7
    Regular Member ghosthunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    MOUNT VERNON, Washington, USA
    Posts
    281
    I dont know why Costco keeps coming up it has been hammered to death on this forum. They do not allow guns in Costco. If they see your gun you will be asked to leave. They will refund your membership no problem. Many members of this board have been contacted at Costco. It is a done deal. Period. they do not have to post it or have it writtend down it is private property and it has been well established their policy is no guns in their stores any where.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; 12-27-2011 at 01:44 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member purlrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Dalles
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I dont know why Costco keeps coming up it has been hammered to death on this forum. They do not allow guns in Costco. If they see your gun you will be asked to leave. They will refund your membership no problem. Many members of this board have been contacted at Costco. It is a done deal. Period. they do not have to post it or have it writtend down it is private property and it has been well established their policy is no guns in their stores any where.
    I have a cat like you...wound just a little tight. We sometimes forget the First Amendment or just wanting to dialog amongst comrades.

    ahh but am I going to get spanked for this.
    Don't be angered by their ignorance. Be polite, your carrying a gun.

    PR

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I dont know why Costco keeps coming up it has been hammered to death on this forum. They do not allow guns in Costco. If they see your gun you will be asked to leave. They will refund your membership no problem. Many members of this board have been contacted at Costco. It is a done deal. Period. they do not have to post it or have it writtend down it is private property and it has been well established their policy is no guns in their stores any where.
    For the record, I have yet to have any issue at all open carry at Costco in Woodinville. Been there about 20 times. Perhaps that will change but not yet...
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N47 12 x W122 10
    Posts
    1,657
    If it is not in the membership agreement, it is unenforcable(sic).


    There is also no Costo membership agreement rule against going naked in the store. It's a private club, so it's not against the law, right? So I guess Costco couldn't "enforce" asking you to leave for going naked?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gig harbor
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    There is also no Costo membership agreement rule against going naked in the store. It's a private club, so it's not against the law, right? So I guess Costco couldn't "enforce" asking you to leave for going naked?[/COLOR]
    Actually the first item listed under general policies Is that "shirts and shoes are required" so you can only go half naked

    I was just trying to bring it to the attention of the people that shop there, as i have never had an issue there before and did not want people to start having problems at that Costco.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    899
    This is the Costco I was kicked out of for OC. Also the reason we dropped our Costco membership in lieu of a Sam's Club membership. I had OCd there for a little over a year and had OCd for several years at the Costco in south Seattle without issue. Then one day in Gig Harbor I ended up stopping and talking with an employee about OC because he was curious about the laws when the manager (a black gentleman at the time) came up and told me that it was against membership rules and corporate policy. I asked for a copy of that policy but he couldn't provide it to me at the time. He said I would have to leave so I said I'd have to find my wife and leave our shopping cart full of stuff where it was at. He said I could finish my shopping. So we did and then never went back. I gave him my email and a few weeks later I got an email stating that firearms weren't permitted at all. Of course how do they stop people from CCing?

    When we got our Sam's Club membership I expressly told them that this was why we were willing to drive to Auburn from Port Orchard. Because Sam's Club won't bat an eye with my OC.
    Last edited by sirpuma; 12-27-2011 at 05:03 PM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,320
    It's basically up to the manager of each store because there is no corporate policy. Obviously if the manager asks you to leave you have to. The only Costco I've had issue with is Lacey. Federal Way, Puyallup, and Tacoma have all been a non issue. It is NOT a CORPORATE WIDE POLICY. It's just up to the manager because corporate is silent on the issue. If I can OC in three out of four Costcos, I'm going to.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cusick, Washington, USA
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    It's basically up to the manager of each store because there is no corporate policy. Obviously if the manager asks you to leave you have to. The only Costco I've had issue with is Lacey. Federal Way, Puyallup, and Tacoma have all been a non issue. It is NOT a CORPORATE WIDE POLICY. It's just up to the manager because corporate is silent on the issue. If I can OC in three out of four Costcos, I'm going to.
    For what it's worth, over here on the dry side of the state, I've carried openly in the North Spokane Costco half-a-dozen times and never had anyone blink an eye. Anecdotal, sure, and I'm sure it's up to the local managers if they enforce the policy, YMMV, etc.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by sirpuma View Post
    He said I could finish my shopping. So we did and then never went back. I gave him my email and a few weeks later I got an email stating that firearms weren't permitted at all. Of course how do they stop people from CCing?
    (bold mine)

    This is what is just so retarded. If you were doing a dangerous activity, harmful, whatever, why would he allow you to finish shopping. That's proof that it's not a problem. I think I would have been tempted (in my youth) to spend several hours just browsing and shopping, -with manager approval-.

    Now if one had been doing something actually dangerous, like operating a chainsaw indoors, or juggling bowling balls (hyperbole for effect), do you think the manager would have said 'OK finish your shopping?'. (rhetorical question)

    Sheesh.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

    Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hereford, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    9
    Never had a problem with OC in Costco's in Tucson. I have been going there for years. At one time an assistant manager stopped me and asked what I was carrying? I think it depends on the Manager and there thoughts on OC vs CC. It also helps to live in a state that is tolerant of weapons,

  17. #17
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    OC all the time (for the last 2 years) at the Boise Idaho COSTCO without problems. Of course here in Idaho the number of people that are armed is larger than the number of potential victims walking around.

    I agree it is all on the local manager, so if your manager is a Kalifornia transplant you are screwed.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    (bold mine)

    This is what is just so retarded. If you were doing a dangerous activity, harmful, whatever, why would he allow you to finish shopping. That's proof that it's not a problem. I think I would have been tempted (in my youth) to spend several hours just browsing and shopping, -with manager approval-.

    Now if one had been doing something actually dangerous, like operating a chainsaw indoors, or juggling bowling balls (hyperbole for effect), do you think the manager would have said 'OK finish your shopping?'. (rhetorical question)

    Sheesh.
    Who said that was his reason? From the experiences I have had and read about, the biggest reason businesses do not want open carry is that is upsets or makes other customers nervous, it causes a scene. I am not saying it's valid anymore than the danger argument but they would rather lose a single customer than have a store full of upset customers who start calling the police, this is how many look at the situation.

  19. #19
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    15,222
    Quote Originally Posted by 5918mike View Post
    Who said that was his reason? From the experiences I have had and read about, the biggest reason businesses do not want open carry is that is upsets or makes other customers nervous, it causes a scene. I am not saying it's valid anymore than the danger argument but they would rather lose a single customer than have a store full of upset customers who start calling the police, this is how many look at the situation.

    Note definition number two... of rationalization...(not critizing you, but using your post as way to make another point)
    1.
    process of rationalizing: the process of rationalizing something, or an instance of rationalizing something

    2.
    defense mechanism: in psychoanalytic theory, a defense mechanism whereby people attempt to hide their true motivations and emotions by providing reasonable or self-justifying explanations for irrational or unacceptable behavior


    I find that the highlighted portion of what you said is the rationalization many use, not a true reason. I OC in Costco at least a few times a week in Bellingham and never have a problem. I OC in Banks, grocery shopping and don't seem to cause panic or nervousness.

    Now there are the rare hoplophobic person who gets nervous around someone carrying a gun. But there are also homophobes who get nervous when a gay person is in the store, there are also xenophobes who get nervous when someone who doesn't share the same ethnic background share the same shopping space, there are women who are afraid of men..elderly afraid of teenagers, people who don't like bikers, punk rockers, gothers, etc. would they be asked to leave?

    These are arguments we can use to defend the natural fundamental right to be armed. Something I have successfully used to destroy some unreasonable rationalizations like the one you pointed out.

    By the way I have carried in Bellingham Costco countless times I go there at least twice a week. Our Costco has become so crazy, they pretty much have posted a full time cop right outside the doors. And I OC right past him/her often with a smile and a nod or wave.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post


    Now there are the rare hoplophobic person who gets nervous around someone carrying a gun. But there are also homophobes who get nervous when a gay person is in the store, there are also xenophobes who get nervous when someone who doesn't share the same ethnic background share the same shopping space, there are women who are afraid of men..elderly afraid of teenagers, people who don't like bikers, punk rockers, gothers, etc. would they be asked to leave?
    Unfortunately, the common response is that some of the above are a protected class, and alas, our rights don't qualify for the same kind of consideration. Grrrrr.

  21. #21
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    15,222
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    Unfortunately, the common response is that some of the above are a protected class, and alas, our rights don't qualify for the same kind of consideration. Grrrrr.
    Yep you are absolutely right it is the common response by those who need to be educated on what a fundamental right is.

    Personally I think the government has no authority to protect classes of people on private property. I would rather know which stores discriminate against my friends and family so I would not spend my money there and encourage everyone I know to do the same.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Olympia
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I disagree that Costco has an anti-carry policy. If they did it would be in the membership agreement. If it is not in the membership agreement, it is unenforcable.

    If you are talking about that secretaries email that is circulating in the net...secretaries do not make policy decisions.

    It is my thought that they actually have no policy as concerns carry. It is most definately not stated one way or another in the membership agreement.

    They can't possibly put everything on there...I mean is there anything about women breast feeding their babies? Bottom line: if you are asked to leave then comply. Don't try to play shithouse lawyer then get in a world of hurt legally and financially. The manager on duty is at the helm and what he/she says is "law" within those four walls. 1)Leave 2) Call corporate office to aire your grievances and seek clarification on policy. It's that simple folks.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Note definition number two... of rationalization...(not critizing you, but using your post as way to make another point)
    1.
    process of rationalizing: the process of rationalizing something, or an instance of rationalizing something

    2.
    defense mechanism: in psychoanalytic theory, a defense mechanism whereby people attempt to hide their true motivations and emotions by providing reasonable or self-justifying explanations for irrational or unacceptable behavior


    I find that the highlighted portion of what you said is the rationalization many use, not a true reason. I OC in Costco at least a few times a week in Bellingham and never have a problem. I OC in Banks, grocery shopping and don't seem to cause panic or nervousness.

    Now there are the rare hoplophobic person who gets nervous around someone carrying a gun. But there are also homophobes who get nervous when a gay person is in the store, there are also xenophobes who get nervous when someone who doesn't share the same ethnic background share the same shopping space, there are women who are afraid of men..elderly afraid of teenagers, people who don't like bikers, punk rockers, gothers, etc. would they be asked to leave?

    These are arguments we can use to defend the natural fundamental right to be armed. Something I have successfully used to destroy some unreasonable rationalizations like the one you pointed out.

    By the way I have carried in Bellingham Costco countless times I go there at least twice a week. Our Costco has become so crazy, they pretty much have posted a full time cop right outside the doors. And I OC right past him/her often with a smile and a nod or wave.
    I agree with what you are saying.

  24. #24
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovenox View Post
    They can't possibly put everything on there...I mean is there anything about women breast feeding their babies? Bottom line: if you are asked to leave then comply. Don't try to play shithouse lawyer then get in a world of hurt legally and financially. The manager on duty is at the helm and what he/she says is "law" within those four walls. 1)Leave 2) Call corporate office to aire your grievances and seek clarification on policy. It's that simple folks.
    Or just get a Sam's Club Card.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  25. #25
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    15,222
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Or just get a Sam's Club Card.
    Good luck in Whatcom they banned any more "box" stores from opening, I'd love to get a Sam's card.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •