• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gig Harbor Costco

Zdoom

So when I was shopping at the gig harbor Costco had an employee come up and worn me that the new manager "Hates Guns" and to not be surprised if I was asked to leave. He was very cool and was a little upset about her attitude. Asked him if he knew what the corporate policy was and he did not. On the way out I grabbed a pamphlet that had the membership conditions in it, and there is still nothing in there about firearms. I know I have never had an issue with this Costco but if the new manager has it out for open carry wanted to let you all know about it. Hope that you all had a nice holiday.

Also no one approached me about my carrying but the one employee warning me about the manager.

decklin

Costco's corporate policy is no firearms. It is not listed in the member's agreement. Alot of members on here, myself included, have been through this with Costco before. Employees there told me to just conceal. Out of sight, out of mind sort of thing. I no longer have a Costco membership. When it expired I went and got Sam's Club. If you don't already have a CPL you should get one. It helps when you go to places like this.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Costco's corporate policy is no firearms. It is not listed in the member's agreement. Alot of members on here, myself included, have been through this with Costco before. Employees there told me to just conceal. Out of sight, out of mind sort of thing. I no longer have a Costco membership. When it expired I went and got Sam's Club. If you don't already have a CPL you should get one. It helps when you go to places like this.

Copy that! All of it.

hermannr

I disagree that Costco has an anti-carry policy. If they did it would be in the membership agreement. If it is not in the membership agreement, it is unenforcable.

If you are talking about that secretaries email that is circulating in the net...secretaries do not make policy decisions.

It is my thought that they actually have no policy as concerns carry. It is most definately not stated one way or another in the membership agreement.

massivedesign

If it is not in the membership agreement, it is unenforcable.

Yhea... Go ahead and try that, let us know how it works out for you. Private property is private property, they are allowed to "Refuse Service to anybody, for any reason". Now, since it is not written in the terms of your membership, you may get a refund of your membership fees if you cancel because of it. If they ask you to leave, you have to leave. Refuse and you can/will be trespassed.

ManInBlack

Yhea... Go ahead and try that, let us know how it works out for you. Private property is private property, they are allowed to "Refuse Service to anybody, for any reason". Now, since it is not written in the terms of your membership, you may get a refund of your membership fees if you cancel because of it. If they ask you to leave, you have to leave. Refuse and you can/will be trespassed.

This.

ghosthunter

I dont know why Costco keeps coming up it has been hammered to death on this forum. They do not allow guns in Costco. If they see your gun you will be asked to leave. They will refund your membership no problem. Many members of this board have been contacted at Costco. It is a done deal. Period. they do not have to post it or have it writtend down it is private property and it has been well established their policy is no guns in their stores any where.

Last edited:

purlrider

I dont know why Costco keeps coming up it has been hammered to death on this forum. They do not allow guns in Costco. If they see your gun you will be asked to leave. They will refund your membership no problem. Many members of this board have been contacted at Costco. It is a done deal. Period. they do not have to post it or have it writtend down it is private property and it has been well established their policy is no guns in their stores any where.

I have a cat like you...wound just a little tight. We sometimes forget the First Amendment or just wanting to dialog amongst comrades.

ahh but am I going to get spanked for this.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

For the record, I have yet to have any issue at all open carry at Costco in Woodinville. Been there about 20 times. Perhaps that will change but not yet...

deanf

If it is not in the membership agreement, it is unenforcable(sic).

There is also no Costo membership agreement rule against going naked in the store. It's a private club, so it's not against the law, right? So I guess Costco couldn't "enforce" asking you to leave for going naked?

Zdoom

There is also no Costo membership agreement rule against going naked in the store. It's a private club, so it's not against the law, right? So I guess Costco couldn't "enforce" asking you to leave for going naked?[/COLOR]

Actually the first item listed under general policies Is that "shirts and shoes are required" so you can only go half naked:p

I was just trying to bring it to the attention of the people that shop there, as i have never had an issue there before and did not want people to start having problems at that Costco.

sirpuma

This is the Costco I was kicked out of for OC. Also the reason we dropped our Costco membership in lieu of a Sam's Club membership. I had OCd there for a little over a year and had OCd for several years at the Costco in south Seattle without issue. Then one day in Gig Harbor I ended up stopping and talking with an employee about OC because he was curious about the laws when the manager (a black gentleman at the time) came up and told me that it was against membership rules and corporate policy. I asked for a copy of that policy but he couldn't provide it to me at the time. He said I would have to leave so I said I'd have to find my wife and leave our shopping cart full of stuff where it was at. He said I could finish my shopping. So we did and then never went back. I gave him my email and a few weeks later I got an email stating that firearms weren't permitted at all. Of course how do they stop people from CCing?

When we got our Sam's Club membership I expressly told them that this was why we were willing to drive to Auburn from Port Orchard. Because Sam's Club won't bat an eye with my OC.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

It's basically up to the manager of each store because there is no corporate policy. Obviously if the manager asks you to leave you have to. The only Costco I've had issue with is Lacey. Federal Way, Puyallup, and Tacoma have all been a non issue. It is NOT a CORPORATE WIDE POLICY. It's just up to the manager because corporate is silent on the issue. If I can OC in three out of four Costcos, I'm going to.

country.hacker

It's basically up to the manager of each store because there is no corporate policy. Obviously if the manager asks you to leave you have to. The only Costco I've had issue with is Lacey. Federal Way, Puyallup, and Tacoma have all been a non issue. It is NOT a CORPORATE WIDE POLICY. It's just up to the manager because corporate is silent on the issue. If I can OC in three out of four Costcos, I'm going to.

For what it's worth, over here on the dry side of the state, I've carried openly in the North Spokane Costco half-a-dozen times and never had anyone blink an eye. Anecdotal, sure, and I'm sure it's up to the local managers if they enforce the policy, YMMV, etc.

Badger Johnson

He said I could finish my shopping. So we did and then never went back. I gave him my email and a few weeks later I got an email stating that firearms weren't permitted at all. Of course how do they stop people from CCing?
(bold mine)

This is what is just so retarded. If you were doing a dangerous activity, harmful, whatever, why would he allow you to finish shopping. That's proof that it's not a problem. I think I would have been tempted (in my youth) to spend several hours just browsing and shopping, -with manager approval-.

Now if one had been doing something actually dangerous, like operating a chainsaw indoors, or juggling bowling balls (hyperbole for effect), do you think the manager would have said 'OK finish your shopping?'. (rhetorical question)

Sheesh.

dogdays

Never had a problem with OC in Costco's in Tucson. I have been going there for years. At one time an assistant manager stopped me and asked what I was carrying? I think it depends on the Manager and there thoughts on OC vs CC. It also helps to live in a state that is tolerant of weapons,

DocWalker

OC all the time (for the last 2 years) at the Boise Idaho COSTCO without problems. Of course here in Idaho the number of people that are armed is larger than the number of potential victims walking around.

I agree it is all on the local manager, so if your manager is a Kalifornia transplant you are screwed.

5918mike

(bold mine)

This is what is just so retarded. If you were doing a dangerous activity, harmful, whatever, why would he allow you to finish shopping. That's proof that it's not a problem. I think I would have been tempted (in my youth) to spend several hours just browsing and shopping, -with manager approval-.

Now if one had been doing something actually dangerous, like operating a chainsaw indoors, or juggling bowling balls (hyperbole for effect), do you think the manager would have said 'OK finish your shopping?'. (rhetorical question)

Sheesh.

Who said that was his reason? From the experiences I have had and read about, the biggest reason businesses do not want open carry is that is upsets or makes other customers nervous, it causes a scene. I am not saying it's valid anymore than the danger argument but they would rather lose a single customer than have a store full of upset customers who start calling the police, this is how many look at the situation.

sudden valley gunner

Who said that was his reason? From the experiences I have had and read about, the biggest reason businesses do not want open carry is that is upsets or makes other customers nervous, it causes a scene. I am not saying it's valid anymore than the danger argument but they would rather lose a single customer than have a store full of upset customers who start calling the police, this is how many look at the situation.

Note definition number two... of rationalization...(not critizing you, but using your post as way to make another point)
process of rationalizing: the process of rationalizing something, or an instance of rationalizing something

defense mechanism: in psychoanalytic theory, a defense mechanism whereby people attempt to hide their true motivations and emotions by providing reasonable or self-justifying explanations for irrational or unacceptable behavior

I find that the highlighted portion of what you said is the rationalization many use, not a true reason. I OC in Costco at least a few times a week in Bellingham and never have a problem. I OC in Banks, grocery shopping and don't seem to cause panic or nervousness.

Now there are the rare hoplophobic person who gets nervous around someone carrying a gun. But there are also homophobes who get nervous when a gay person is in the store, there are also xenophobes who get nervous when someone who doesn't share the same ethnic background share the same shopping space, there are women who are afraid of men..elderly afraid of teenagers, people who don't like bikers, punk rockers, gothers, etc. would they be asked to leave?

These are arguments we can use to defend the natural fundamental right to be armed. Something I have successfully used to destroy some unreasonable rationalizations like the one you pointed out.

By the way I have carried in Bellingham Costco countless times I go there at least twice a week. Our Costco has become so crazy, they pretty much have posted a full time cop right outside the doors. And I OC right past him/her often with a smile and a nod or wave.

PistolPackingMomma

Now there are the rare hoplophobic person who gets nervous around someone carrying a gun. But there are also homophobes who get nervous when a gay person is in the store, there are also xenophobes who get nervous when someone who doesn't share the same ethnic background share the same shopping space, there are women who are afraid of men..elderly afraid of teenagers, people who don't like bikers, punk rockers, gothers, etc. would they be asked to leave?

Unfortunately, the common response is that some of the above are a protected class, and alas, our rights don't qualify for the same kind of consideration. Grrrrr.