Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: North Spokane Best Buy

  1. #1
    Regular Member Cubex DE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    111

    North Spokane Best Buy

    Working my shift in Loss Prevention today, and I saw another OC'er come in the store, carrying his child and accompanied by a few other people. On his way out, I shook his hand and thanked him for carrying (standard response to OC) and he said "You're on the OC forums, aren't you?" Why yes, I am.

    I really hoped he would post so I could reply, but I guess he didn't get around to it so I will just say this:

    My job as Loss Prevention is twofold: deter/prevent shoplifting, and maintain safety for both customers and employees. Customers who OC help me accomplish both, making my job easier. I will always appreciate OC'ers in the store, and I will do whatever I can to make sure you have a good experience so you will come back again.

    So to that guy: thanks again for OC'ing and I hope to see you again! And that goes for the rest of you too!

    On a side note, I pointed him out to a brand rep that was checking out and she was surprised that she hadn't noticed... she had just talked to him! I gave her my 15-second spiel on OC before she went out the door

    Best Buy makes me say this: my views do not necessarily represent the views of Best Buy. I'm speaking for myself.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cusick, Washington, USA
    Posts
    64
    Hey Cubex! That was me, I would have posted sooner but we live an hour out of town, had to get dinner on as soon as we got home, and now I just finished putting the girls to bed and am sitting down at the computer. Firstly thanks for having such a great attitude, after we got out the doors my wife threw her hands up and exclaimed "Favorite Best Buy employee EVER!" :-) Thankfully I haven't had a whole lot of negative encounters (Other than the Ice Palace at Riverfront Park) but getting such positive feedback is really nice.

    Thanks for sharing your perspective on legal carry! Hopefully will be able to get to know you at a meetup sometime.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Cubex DE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by country.hacker View Post
    Hopefully will be able to get to know you at a meetup sometime.
    Unfortunately I am transportation-impaired, and the STA doesn't allow any firearms on the bus lines, so I haven't been to a meetup yet. I could always go to one I suppose, but I wouldn't be able to OC, and I don't have a CPL yet so I couldn't conceal on the way there and then switch to OC after getting off the bus.

    While I was typing this, I had a thought: ever notice that we OC'ers are way more careful about obeying the law, and knowing exactly what it says, than the people who get upset by OC?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    Unfortunately I am transportation-impaired, and the STA doesn't allow any firearms on the bus lines, so I haven't been to a meetup yet. I could always go to one I suppose, but I wouldn't be able to OC, and I don't have a CPL yet so I couldn't conceal on the way there and then switch to OC after getting off the bus.

    While I was typing this, I had a thought: ever notice that we OC'ers are way more careful about obeying the law, and knowing exactly what it says, than the people who get upset by OC?
    Hello Cubex, what is STA bus lines? Is it a public bus service?
    Any way did a little research on the bus lines.
    Yes you can open carry your fire arm.


    Carrying any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article or material likely to cause harm to others except that nothing herein shall prevent a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not otherwise prohibited by law (RCW 9.91.025/SMC 10.10.100);

    There it is in plain site " that is not otherwise prohibited by law "

    Just make sure you have your CPL with you. and your good to go.
    Last edited by phoneguy; 12-27-2011 at 12:38 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Cubex DE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by phone guy View Post
    Hello Cubex, what is STA bus lines? Is it a public bus service?
    Spokane Transit Authority. They run the bus lines here in Spokane, and they have posted signs in every bus that say "NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS OF ANY KIND."

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cusick, Washington, USA
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    Unfortunately I am transportation-impaired, and the STA doesn't allow any firearms on the bus lines, so I haven't been to a meetup yet.
    Depending on where you're at in town I'm sure we could arrange to pick you up, my problem is that I work weekends so any time the guys get together for coffee on Saturday morning I'm never available. Maybe after the New Year we'll plan something out that most of us can get to, dinner in the evening or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    ever notice that we OC'ers are way more careful about obeying the law, and knowing exactly what it says, than the people who get upset by OC?
    I'd imagine it has a lot to do with the fact that there's so many people out the ignorant of what the law says, we have to be extra prepared to counter their ignorance. I will say I am finding myself more and more interested in all legislation that's currently going through the various legislative organizations, so many these days are degrading our freedoms a little bit at a time.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cusick, Washington, USA
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    Spokane Transit Authority. They run the bus lines here in Spokane, and they have posted signs in every bus that say "NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS OF ANY KIND."
    Found a post from an OCDO member that claims the STA was being retrained to honor state law, maybe they just haven't taken the signs down? Maybe it's time to stage an OC meetup where we all ride the bus around town! ;-)

  8. #8
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    Spokane Transit Authority. They run the bus lines here in Spokane, and they have posted signs in every bus that say "NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS OF ANY KIND."
    Illegal sign. Spokane does not have the athority to prohibit firearms on the transit system just like they cannot prohibit (but they do) in their parks.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Thor80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Spokane County, WA
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Illegal sign. Spokane does not have the athority to prohibit firearms on the transit system just like they cannot prohibit (but they do) in their parks.
    You can ask Bennie, they dont succeed.. I dont go to the parks much myself, missed the BBQ at Manito.

    To Cubex, I'm a valley dweller, been oc to the Valley BB. Maybe one of these days when I need something electronic like I'll head up your way. Anyway like Country said if you want to hit up a meet, (need another one, last time it was just Snarly and I) just let one of us know and I'm sure someone would come and get ya!

    -Thor

  10. #10
    Regular Member Lammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    Spokane Transit Authority. They run the bus lines here in Spokane, and they have posted signs in every bus that say "NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS OF ANY KIND."
    The signs lie. The actual rules are accurate and up to date at the STA web site: http://www.spokanetransit.com/about-...es-of-conduct/

    See Article III, Section A, Rules 7 & 13.

    As I'm sure others have noted, you do have to have a CPL if you are going to carry loaded but their official policy conforms to the law in this state.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

  11. #11
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    Spokane Transit Authority. They run the bus lines here in Spokane, and they have posted signs in every bus that say "NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS OF ANY KIND."

    I'll echo what everyone else has said. Being a public agency, they can't prohibit lawful weapons, state preemption, 9.41.300, yadda yadda. What they like to do out here is post these snide little signs that prohibit unlawful weapons. Y'know, to make such things illegaler (is that even a word Lammo?)
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Cubex DE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    I'll echo what everyone else has said. Being a public agency, they can't prohibit lawful weapons, state preemption, 9.41.300, yadda yadda. What they like to do out here is post these snide little signs that prohibit unlawful weapons. Y'know, to make such things illegaler (is that even a word Lammo?)
    Thanks for all the clarification. Still, I'm afraid that some uninformed driver would stop me and tell me to get off the bus, or refuse to move until I did so or the wonderful SPD arrived on scene. I don't want to have to give a lesson on the law just so I can ride a crappy bus :P

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    Thanks for all the clarification. Still, I'm afraid that some uninformed driver would stop me and tell me to get off the bus, or refuse to move until I did so or the wonderful SPD arrived on scene. I don't want to have to give a lesson on the law just so I can ride a crappy bus :P
    If the bus driver is uninformed, then someone needs to. Why shouldn't it be you? Stand up for yourself and what you know is right. Honestly, it can be a very good feeling when you succeed in correcting authority that KNOW they are in the right.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Cubex DE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayd1981 View Post
    If the bus driver is uninformed, then someone needs to. Why shouldn't it be you? Stand up for yourself and what you know is right. Honestly, it can be a very good feeling when you succeed in correcting authority that KNOW they are in the right.
    I suppose. I guess I just don't see riding the bus as a great reward for all that effort

  15. #15
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    I suppose. I guess I just don't see riding the bus as a great reward for all that effort
    Then how 'bout maintaining the right to defend yourself against those types you see on the bus as a "reward?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    Thanks for all the clarification. Still, I'm afraid that some uninformed driver would stop me and tell me to get off the bus, or refuse to move until I did so or the wonderful SPD arrived on scene. I don't want to have to give a lesson on the law just so I can ride a crappy bus :P
    Speaking as a driver, that's unlikely, but not impossible. As long as you are polite & respectful, but firm. For one, you CAN'T be told to get off, or trespassed, being as it's public property and you're doing nothing illegal or against agency policy (since the agency can't have a policy that's against state law). More than likely, the driver won't want to go thru the trouble of calling in a supervisor, police (IF they even show up), loosing his break, ticking off his passengers, then having to fill out paperwork when he gets off. Unless he's the power tripping sort, in which case he needs to be brought down a peg or two any way.

    If you won't take this relatively minor amount of effort to defend your rights, then when will you?

    Like the forum motto says, a right unexercised is a right lost.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    I suppose. I guess I just don't see riding the bus as a great reward for all that effort
    Rosa Parks did see the reward.
    Live Free or Die!

  17. #17
    Regular Member Lammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    I'll echo what everyone else has said. Being a public agency, they can't prohibit lawful weapons, state preemption, 9.41.300, yadda yadda. What they like to do out here is post these snide little signs that prohibit unlawful weapons. Y'know, to make such things illegaler (is that even a word Lammo?)
    Illegaler is a sicker bird than an illegal. That or something that is double secret against the law. :-)
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

  18. #18
    Regular Member Cubex DE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    111
    Is there any chance that the "Rules of Conduct" document is available on the bus itself, or that I can get a pamphlet from them with that information? That would make it easy to just show it to the driver if he said anything.

    EDIT: Never mind, the website has an email address where you can submit a request for a physical copy to be mailed to you: jwatson@spokanetransit.com

    EDIT2: I got a response back in 20 minutes flat! My copy is in the mail.

    It's interesting that those signs are still up. How can we get them taken down so there's no confusion?
    Last edited by Cubex DE; 12-27-2011 at 07:50 PM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cusick, Washington, USA
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubex DE View Post
    Is there any chance that the "Rules of Conduct" document is available on the bus itself, or that I can get a pamphlet from them with that information? That would make it easy to just show it to the driver if he said anything.

    EDIT: Never mind, the website has an email address where you can submit a request for a physical copy to be mailed to you: jwatson@spokanetransit.com

    It's interesting that those signs are still up. How can we get them taken down so there's no confusion?
    You can also print it out here.

    As far as getting the signs removed, I'd suggest contacting the STA ombudsman Susan Millbank at smillbank@spokanetransit.com. I'm sending her one right now asking for the signs to be removed, although as I've never ridden the bus I don't know how much good my word will be. :-)

  20. #20
    Regular Member Cubex DE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by country.hacker View Post
    As far as getting the signs removed, I'd suggest contacting the STA ombudsman Susan Millbank at smillbank@spokanetransit.com. I'm sending her one right now asking for the signs to be removed, although as I've never ridden the bus I don't know how much good my word will be. :-)
    Perfect, I just sent off an email as well. Hopefully others will do the same and we can get those signs updated/removed.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammo View Post
    Illegaler is a sicker bird than an illegal. That or something that is double secret against the law. :-)
    Enlighten us O lawyerly one, exactly what is the semantical difference between illegal and unlawful? According to my ever accurate iPhone spelling corrector, illegal is actually a word.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  22. #22
    Regular Member bmg50cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WA - North Whidbey/ Deception Pass
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    illegal is actually a word.
    However...

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    illegaler
    is not a word...
    Last edited by bmg50cal; 12-27-2011 at 08:21 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by bmg50cal View Post
    However...



    is not a word...
    According to the silly state agencies that seek to ban that which is already illegal it is


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  24. #24
    Regular Member bmg50cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WA - North Whidbey/ Deception Pass
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    According to the silly state agencies that seek to ban that which is already illegal it is


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I take great schadenfreude at the condition of their education.

    "Illegaler" is the "dumberest" word ever!!!

  25. #25
    Regular Member SnarlyWino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, United States
    Posts
    375
    Cubex,

    Sorry I found this thread so late, you have obviously discovered that there is actually no issue carrying on the STA bus. I just wanted to confirm that by saying that I and others on this forum have OC'd on the STA lines countless times without hassle in the last two years. The drivers are very informed of the law and the signs are meant to communicate that no illegal weapons are allowed on the bus. They do not communicate that very well, they do help an ignorant public feel warm and cozy.

    So to this I say, Keep Calm and Carry On... the STA bus anywhere you want to go. Afterall, it is "how a great city moves".

    Hope to see you at a meetup soon.

    Ryan
    Keep Calm and Carry On,

    Snarly

    Pro Deo, Pro Familia, Pro Patria

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •