• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Spokane Best Buy

Cubex DE

Working my shift in Loss Prevention today, and I saw another OC'er come in the store, carrying his child and accompanied by a few other people. On his way out, I shook his hand and thanked him for carrying (standard response to OC) and he said "You're on the OC forums, aren't you?" Why yes, I am.

I really hoped he would post so I could reply, but I guess he didn't get around to it so I will just say this:

My job as Loss Prevention is twofold: deter/prevent shoplifting, and maintain safety for both customers and employees. Customers who OC help me accomplish both, making my job easier. I will always appreciate OC'ers in the store, and I will do whatever I can to make sure you have a good experience so you will come back again.

So to that guy: thanks again for OC'ing and I hope to see you again! And that goes for the rest of you too!

On a side note, I pointed him out to a brand rep that was checking out and she was surprised that she hadn't noticed... she had just talked to him! I gave her my 15-second spiel on OC before she went out the door :D

Best Buy makes me say this: my views do not necessarily represent the views of Best Buy. I'm speaking for myself.

country.hacker

Hey Cubex! That was me, I would have posted sooner but we live an hour out of town, had to get dinner on as soon as we got home, and now I just finished putting the girls to bed and am sitting down at the computer. Firstly thanks for having such a great attitude, after we got out the doors my wife threw her hands up and exclaimed "Favorite Best Buy employee EVER!" :) Thankfully I haven't had a whole lot of negative encounters (Other than the Ice Palace at Riverfront Park) but getting such positive feedback is really nice.

Thanks for sharing your perspective on legal carry! Hopefully will be able to get to know you at a meetup sometime.

Cubex DE

Hopefully will be able to get to know you at a meetup sometime.

Unfortunately I am transportation-impaired, and the STA doesn't allow any firearms on the bus lines, so I haven't been to a meetup yet. I could always go to one I suppose, but I wouldn't be able to OC, and I don't have a CPL yet so I couldn't conceal on the way there and then switch to OC after getting off the bus.

While I was typing this, I had a thought: ever notice that we OC'ers are way more careful about obeying the law, and knowing exactly what it says, than the people who get upset by OC?

phoneguy

Unfortunately I am transportation-impaired, and the STA doesn't allow any firearms on the bus lines, so I haven't been to a meetup yet. I could always go to one I suppose, but I wouldn't be able to OC, and I don't have a CPL yet so I couldn't conceal on the way there and then switch to OC after getting off the bus.

While I was typing this, I had a thought: ever notice that we OC'ers are way more careful about obeying the law, and knowing exactly what it says, than the people who get upset by OC?

Hello Cubex, what is STA bus lines? Is it a public bus service?
Any way did a little research on the bus lines.
Yes you can open carry your fire arm.

Carrying any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article or material likely to cause harm to others except that nothing herein shall prevent a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not otherwise prohibited by law (RCW 9.91.025/SMC 10.10.100);

There it is in plain site " that is not otherwise prohibited by law "

Just make sure you have your CPL with you. and your good to go.

Last edited:

country.hacker

Unfortunately I am transportation-impaired, and the STA doesn't allow any firearms on the bus lines, so I haven't been to a meetup yet.

Depending on where you're at in town I'm sure we could arrange to pick you up, my problem is that I work weekends so any time the guys get together for coffee on Saturday morning I'm never available. Maybe after the New Year we'll plan something out that most of us can get to, dinner in the evening or something.

ever notice that we OC'ers are way more careful about obeying the law, and knowing exactly what it says, than the people who get upset by OC?

I'd imagine it has a lot to do with the fact that there's so many people out the ignorant of what the law says, we have to be extra prepared to counter their ignorance. I will say I am finding myself more and more interested in all legislation that's currently going through the various legislative organizations, so many these days are degrading our freedoms a little bit at a time.

country.hacker

Spokane Transit Authority. They run the bus lines here in Spokane, and they have posted signs in every bus that say "NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS OF ANY KIND."

Found a post from an OCDO member that claims the STA was being retrained to honor state law, maybe they just haven't taken the signs down? Maybe it's time to stage an OC meetup where we all ride the bus around town! ;-)

hermannr

Spokane Transit Authority. They run the bus lines here in Spokane, and they have posted signs in every bus that say "NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS OF ANY KIND."

Illegal sign. Spokane does not have the athority to prohibit firearms on the transit system just like they cannot prohibit (but they do) in their parks.

Thor80

Illegal sign. Spokane does not have the athority to prohibit firearms on the transit system just like they cannot prohibit (but they do) in their parks.

You can ask Bennie, they dont succeed.. :eek: I dont go to the parks much myself, missed the BBQ at Manito.

To Cubex, I'm a valley dweller, been oc to the Valley BB. Maybe one of these days when I need something electronic like I'll head up your way. Anyway like Country said if you want to hit up a meet, (need another one, last time it was just Snarly and I) just let one of us know and I'm sure someone would come and get ya! :)

-Thor

Lammo

The signs lie. The actual rules are accurate and up to date at the STA web site: http://www.spokanetransit.com/about-sta/view/rules-of-conduct/

See Article III, Section A, Rules 7 & 13.

As I'm sure others have noted, you do have to have a CPL if you are going to carry loaded but their official policy conforms to the law in this state.

Metalhead47

I'll echo what everyone else has said. Being a public agency, they can't prohibit lawful weapons, state preemption, 9.41.300, yadda yadda. What they like to do out here is post these snide little signs that prohibit unlawful weapons. Y'know, to make such things illegaler:rolleyes: (is that even a word Lammo?)

Cubex DE

I'll echo what everyone else has said. Being a public agency, they can't prohibit lawful weapons, state preemption, 9.41.300, yadda yadda. What they like to do out here is post these snide little signs that prohibit unlawful weapons. Y'know, to make such things illegaler:rolleyes: (is that even a word Lammo?)

Thanks for all the clarification. Still, I'm afraid that some uninformed driver would stop me and tell me to get off the bus, or refuse to move until I did so or the wonderful SPD arrived on scene. I don't want to have to give a lesson on the law just so I can ride a crappy bus :p

Jayd1981

Thanks for all the clarification. Still, I'm afraid that some uninformed driver would stop me and tell me to get off the bus, or refuse to move until I did so or the wonderful SPD arrived on scene. I don't want to have to give a lesson on the law just so I can ride a crappy bus :p

If the bus driver is uninformed, then someone needs to. Why shouldn't it be you? Stand up for yourself and what you know is right. Honestly, it can be a very good feeling when you succeed in correcting authority that KNOW they are in the right.

Cubex DE

If the bus driver is uninformed, then someone needs to. Why shouldn't it be you? Stand up for yourself and what you know is right. Honestly, it can be a very good feeling when you succeed in correcting authority that KNOW they are in the right.

I suppose. I guess I just don't see riding the bus as a great reward for all that effort :D

Metalhead47

I suppose. I guess I just don't see riding the bus as a great reward for all that effort :D

Then how 'bout maintaining the right to defend yourself against those types you see on the bus as a "reward?"

Speaking as a driver, that's unlikely, but not impossible. As long as you are polite & respectful, but firm. For one, you CAN'T be told to get off, or trespassed, being as it's public property and you're doing nothing illegal or against agency policy (since the agency can't have a policy that's against state law). More than likely, the driver won't want to go thru the trouble of calling in a supervisor, police (IF they even show up), loosing his break, ticking off his passengers, then having to fill out paperwork when he gets off. Unless he's the power tripping sort, in which case he needs to be brought down a peg or two any way.

If you won't take this relatively minor amount of effort to defend your rights, then when will you?

Like the forum motto says, a right unexercised is a right lost.

Lammo

Illegaler is a sicker bird than an illegal. That or something that is double secret against the law. :)

Cubex DE

Is there any chance that the "Rules of Conduct" document is available on the bus itself, or that I can get a pamphlet from them with that information? That would make it easy to just show it to the driver if he said anything.

EDIT: Never mind, the website has an email address where you can submit a request for a physical copy to be mailed to you: jwatson@spokanetransit.com

EDIT2: I got a response back in 20 minutes flat! My copy is in the mail.

It's interesting that those signs are still up. How can we get them taken down so there's no confusion?

Last edited:

country.hacker

Is there any chance that the "Rules of Conduct" document is available on the bus itself, or that I can get a pamphlet from them with that information? That would make it easy to just show it to the driver if he said anything.

EDIT: Never mind, the website has an email address where you can submit a request for a physical copy to be mailed to you: jwatson@spokanetransit.com

It's interesting that those signs are still up. How can we get them taken down so there's no confusion?

You can also print it out here.

As far as getting the signs removed, I'd suggest contacting the STA ombudsman Susan Millbank at smillbank@spokanetransit.com. I'm sending her one right now asking for the signs to be removed, although as I've never ridden the bus I don't know how much good my word will be. :)

Cubex DE

As far as getting the signs removed, I'd suggest contacting the STA ombudsman Susan Millbank at smillbank@spokanetransit.com. I'm sending her one right now asking for the signs to be removed, although as I've never ridden the bus I don't know how much good my word will be. :)

Perfect, I just sent off an email as well. Hopefully others will do the same and we can get those signs updated/removed.