• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stolen or not?

amlevin

Edited to add: Pawn shops that also deal in guns are the most common to have these arrangements from my experience.

That "arrangement" that Pawn Shops have is usually spelled out in local laws and provisions of their license. In many jurisdictions they have to report their "purchases" and perhaps "pawns" within a given time period to the Police Department.

Most jurisdictions also have "Second Hand Dealer Licenses" which may contain similar provisions for highly sensitive items like firearms.

Not an arrangement, but usually a requirement.

FMCDH

That "arrangement" that Pawn Shops have is usually spelled out in local laws and provisions of their license. In many jurisdictions they have to report their "purchases" and perhaps "pawns" within a given time period to the Police Department.

Most jurisdictions also have "Second Hand Dealer Licenses" which may contain similar provisions for highly sensitive items like firearms.

Not an arrangement, but usually a requirement.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Citizens should have access to this database too to check for FTF sales in my opinion.

amlevin

Just an aside to the conversation but we can now add another Police Officer's gun to those on the street. An Auburn officer lost not only his firearm but his uniform as well while in Tacoma dining out. Just following "Chief K's" lead although the chief actually held on to his uniform :)

kparker

amlevin,

Actually, it's a Washington State law that pawn shops and second hand dealers report all sales and it's *always* requirement. The local jurisdiction's options extend only to the manner of reporting. However this is all after the fact; I'm not aware of any formal state system for them to inquire about prospective purchases.

Mark Whatsitworthtou

yes you call.

I purchase alot of old motorcycles ( pre mandated title bikes ) I always go directly home and call in to leo. we have a working relationship that if the ites stolen it gladly goets to the rightful owners and we nab the son of a gun that I received it from.

J1MB0B

Since I typically install two wheels on my handgun and ride it to the corner store for a soda, I find this post very helpful for the next motorgun I plan purchase. Thanks

XD45PlusP

You guys are funny every pawn shop in washington state participates in LEADS and runs every gun. Also ever hear of the 30 day wait for any gun before being put out on the counter or wall of a gunshop that they take in regardless of it being pawned, sold, or consignment. Its the law..... Don't have time to look it up now, but I will later.

Oh and I usually call Snohomish County Firearms Unit and ask them to see if its stolen. Never had them say no.......

XD

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

You guys are funny every pawn shop in washington state participates in LEADS and runs every gun. Also ever hear of the 30 day wait for any gun before being put out on the counter or wall of a gunshop that they take in regardless of it being pawned, sold, or consignment. Its the law..... Don't have time to look it up now, but I will later.

Oh and I usually call Snohomish County Firearms Unit and ask them to see if its stolen. Never had them say no.......

XD

Cite please

J1MB0B

I called the state police, the sheriff, several dealers and a few pawn shops to see if they could run it. Either they lied to me or just didn't like me, but all of them told me no, the fuzz told me I would have to bring it in person. I ended up asking a buddy with access to the law enforcement data base to run it for me.