• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what states allow carrying in schools? (K-12)

bmwguy11

What states allow licensed CCW holders to carry in K-12 schools? I know there's a handful I just can't find the info on it.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Validate the null hypothesis; H[sub]0[/sub]="There are states that have not suffered school shootings."

protias

UT is the only one I know off hand. There are a few others, but I don't recall.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
States where carrying in K-12 schools is legal

There are several states where individuals licensed to carry concealed weapons may lawfully carry in primary and secondary schools. New Hampshire has no state law restricting or prohibiting carrying on school property. Delaware has only a "sentencing enhancement" statute for violations of other weapons laws committed in a "Safe School and Recreation Zone". Del. Code Title 11, § 1457. Alabama, California, Oregon, and Utah have laws prohibiting carrying on school property that fully exempt individuals licensed to carry concealed weapons. See Ala. Code §13A-11-72(e); Cal. Penal Code § 626.9(l); Ore. Rev. Stat. § 166.370(3)(d); Utah Code §§ 76-10-505.5(3)(a) and 523(2). In addition, Rhode Island also prohibits carrying on school property but exempots individuals who are exempt from certain other gun laws, see R.I. Gen. Law § 11-47-60, which is ambiguous as to whether licensed individuals may carry on school property. Finally, Colorado generally prohibits carrying on school property but fully exempts concealed handgun permit holders for non-public schools but limits the CHP exemption for public schools to carrying in a vehicle. See Colo. Rev. Stat. §§ 18-12-105.5 and 18-12-214(3).

BigTzzy

In Kansas you may carry in any school that is not properly posted.

HERE is a link to the Kansas statues regarding Concealed Carry. The appropriate statue for places that may be off limits for concealed carry is 75-7c10.

Notice that the requirement for the list of places to be off limits is "Provided that the premises are conspicuously posted in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the attorney general as premises where carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited".

Mike

Site Co-Founder
There are several states where individuals licensed to carry concealed weapons may lawfully carry in primary and secondary schools. New Hampshire has no state law restricting or prohibiting carrying on school property. Delaware has only a "sentencing enhancement" statute for violations of other weapons laws committed in a "Safe School and Recreation Zone". Del. Code Title 11, § 1457. Alabama, California, Oregon, and Utah have laws prohibiting carrying on school property that fully exempt individuals licensed to carry concealed weapons. See Ala. Code §13A-11-72(e); Cal. Penal Code § 626.9(l); Ore. Rev. Stat. § 166.370(3)(d); Utah Code §§ 76-10-505.5(3)(a) and 523(2). In addition, Rhode Island also prohibits carrying on school property but exempots individuals who are exempt from certain other gun laws, see R.I. Gen. Law § 11-47-60, which is ambiguous as to whether licensed individuals may carry on school property. Finally, Colorado generally prohibits carrying on school property but fully exempts concealed handgun permit holders for non-public schools but limits the CHP exemption for public schools to carrying in a vehicle. See Colo. Rev. Stat. §§ 18-12-105.5 and 18-12-214(3).

Thanks Jim, it's on John's list to make a map showing states where folks can carry on K-12 school grounds - Virginia also allows CHP holders to carry in their vehicles on K-12 school grounds. Va. Code § 18.2-308.1.C(vii).

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Good information. Arizona allows a firearm to be in the vehicle

Arizona allows a firearm to be in the vehicle on school grounds if the firearm is unloaded and hidden. Here is a link to the Arizona DPS web site that mentions it. I do not have access to the ARS code, but I have read it, I do not remember the code number.

It is not 13-2911.

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Questions/#32

Yooper

Here in MI we can carry concealed on the property if we remain in the vehicle while picking up or dropping off a student. CC is prohibited otherwise. OC is prohibited, BUT OC by a person in possession of a permit is allowed. Make sense?

paul@paul-fisher.com

What states allow licensed CCW holders to carry in K-12 schools? I know there's a handful I just can't find the info on it.

To pick a nit, we (WI) can open, conceal or whatever in Kindergarten only schools in WI. The WI GFSZ defines schools as grades 1-12 and the Federal GFSZ law points to the state definition.

MKEgal

Yeah, and if anyone ever gets caught doing that, they'll have the antis on the phone / email to their legislators so fast...
Not to mention the legal costs to defend onesself for doing something perfectly within the law.
:rolleyes: :cuss:

Why can't we (& other unenlightened states) look to places which don't limit civil rights & see that blood does not run in the hallways, etc.?

BTW, Jim @ WVCDL, very useful information. Thanks for putting it together.

Last edited:

MKEgal

Herr Heckler Koch said:
Validate the null hypothesis; H[sub]0[/sub]="There are states that have not suffered school shootings."
Plankton said:
Could you not respond in Ruling Class jibberish? Please?
You could Google or Wiki the term, instead of being upset that someone knows more than you.
(OTOH, it isn't nice - or effective communication - to consistently talk way above the level others are comfortable with. ahem, Doug... You're all welcome to figuratively slap me upside the head if I get out of hand.)
((That means you can't really hit me, but are welcome to PM or yell, depending on the situation.))

This page has a funny & pretty simple explanation & example:
your null hypothesis – the assertion that the things you were testing (i.e. rates of alien activity and sock loss) are not related and your results are the product of random chance events.

A bit more technical here:
The null hypothesis is a hypothesis which the researcher tries to disprove, reject or nullify.
The 'null' often refers to the common view of something, while the alternative hypothesis is what the researcher really thinks is the cause of a phenomenon.
An experiment conclusion always refers to the null, rejecting or accepting H[sub]0[/sub] rather than H[sub]1[/sub].

Wikipedia (link above) gets more technical:
The null hypothesis typically corresponds to a general or default position. ...
Hypothesis testing works by collecting data and measuring how likely the particular set of data is, assuming the null hypothesis is true.
If the data-set is very unlikely... the experimenter rejects the null hypothesis concluding it (probably) is false.

As an aside, Doug, thanks for showing me how to do super & sub scripts!
But your H[sub]0[/sub] isn't right.
I think it should be more like "laws restricting average citizens from possessing firearms near a school or on school property result in fewer school shootings."
That seems to be the default position "thinking" of the vast majority of the population. :uhoh:

(I think it's also pretty easy to disprove, though most states don't seem to get the message.)