• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving from South Carolina to AZ

gunslinger493

I will be moving from Charleston SC to Phoenix within a month.
My question is can I use my SC concealed weapons permit to get a an AZ permit. How long would that take.
South Carolina does have a training requirement (8 hours classroom, shooting test).
Also I given to understand that there is no limit to the length of bladed weapon that can also be carried, theoretically, I could carry my sword as well?

Thanks in advance for any information.

GWbiker

My question is can I use my SC concealed weapons permit to get a an AZ permit. How long would that take.
South Carolina does have a training requirement (8 hours classroom, shooting test).
Also I given to understand that there is no limit to the length of bladed weapon that can also be carried, theoretically, I could carry my sword as well?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Everything you need to know about Arizona CCW permit and carry laws is at this link...

http://www.azdps.gov/services/concealed_weapons/

AZkopper

1st--no permit is needed to open carry.
2nd--no permit is needed to conceal carry if you are over 21.
3rd--permits are only needed if you enter an establishment that serves alcohol and does not ban weapons alltogether.
4th--AZ has complete preemption on gun laws.

Other often asked question answers:
1. you may carry loaded.
2. you may carry with 'one in the pipe'.

Open carry is not uncommon, and OCers are not generally harassed in AZ.

carsontech

Activist Member
In my best Napoleon Dynamite voice... "Luckyyy!"

Congrats on the move to a state that doesn't infringe on your right to carry as much as the others. Now if "they" could only get rid of the "perks" that are given to permit holders, such as only being able to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol, concealed, with a carry permit.

Last edited:

azcdlfred

My question is can I use my SC concealed weapons permit to get a an AZ permit.
When the CCW laws were updated last year, a provision was added that you qualify for an AZ permit if your current permit has a training or testing requirement.

Like someone else mentioned, contact DPS for the specifics.

Fred

JesseL

We have statewide knife law preemption and no state laws regarding blade length, switchblades, or anything of that sort. I believe you could legally carry your sword.

See ARS 13-3120:
13-3120. Knives regulated by state; state preemption; definitions

A. Except as provided in subsections C and D, a political subdivision of this state shall not enact any ordinance, rule or tax relating to the transportation, possession, carrying, sale, transfer, purchase, gift, devise, licensing, registration or use of a knife or knife making components in this state.

B. A political subdivision of this state shall not enact any rule or ordinance that relates to the manufacture of a knife and that is more prohibitive than or that has a penalty that is greater than any rule or ordinance that is related to the manufacture of any other commercial goods.

C. This section does not prohibit a political subdivision of this state from enacting and enforcing any ordinance or rule pursuant to state law, to implement or enforce state law or relating to imposing any privilege or use tax on the retail sale, lease or rental of, or the gross proceeds or gross income from the sale, lease or rental of, a knife or any knife components at a rate that applies generally to other items of tangible personal property.

D. This section does not prohibit a political subdivision of this state from regulating employees or independent contractors of the political subdivision who are acting within the course and scope of their employment or contract.

E. A political subdivision's rule or ordinance that relates to knives and that is inconsistent with or more restrictive than state law, whether enacted before or after the effective date of this amendment to this section, is null and void.

F. For the purposes of this section:

1. "Knife" means a cutting instrument and includes a sharpened or pointed blade.

2. "Political subdivision" includes any county, city, including a charter city, town, municipal corporation or special district, any board, commission or agency of a county, city, including a charter city, town, municipal corporation or special district or any other local public agency.

gunslinger493

Thanks everyone

Thank you for the information everybody.
My job interview in on Thursday the 5th, they are flying me out there, so I very positive about my prospects!
I will be joining ACDL as soon as I move!

Has anyone heard anything, good or bad about S&S firearms in Phoenix. I here they are very good SIG dealer and I am in the market for SIG P220.