• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Killed with pellet gun

Badger Johnson

I feel for these dumb kids. We shot each other with our pellet guns and BB guns all the time back in the day. You wear a layer or two of heavy denim.

Shouldn't be brought to trial. After all who tries to kill someone with one shot...of a pellet gun...in the back. I mean sure it can happen. If the guy shot him three times in the temple, I'd be less charitable. He'll get suspended sentence if it does, community service and some PTSD.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Personally, I think that if it's not meant to be shot at someone then it shouldn't be shot at someone. I am willing to bet thatthe instructions say not to point it at people. I learned my four basic rules with a BB gun. Don't point a gun at something you don't wish to destroy.

We don't know a lot about the circumstances so the charge may be valid. If it really was an accident I am sure the charges will be lowered.

A sad and avoidable situation.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Considering that some of the pellet guns nowadays are every bit as powerful as a .22 rifle, it is entirely stupid to point one at anything you do not wish to kill. There are all sorts of videos on the 'net about hunting with pellet guns. Apparently, they are very effective.

Just one off-the-wall question, but I wonder if alcohol may have been involved.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Considering that some of the pellet guns nowadays are every bit as powerful as a .22 rifle, it is entirely stupid to point one at anything you do not wish to kill. There are all sorts of videos on the 'net about hunting with pellet guns. Apparently, they are very effective.

Just one off-the-wall question, but I wonder if alcohol may have been involved.

There is reference to drugs and the gun is described as a "high powered pellet gun".

Badger Johnson

Personally, I think that if it's not meant to be shot at someone then it shouldn't be shot at someone. I am willing to bet thatthe instructions say not to point it at people. I learned my four basic rules with a BB gun. Don't point a gun at something you don't wish to destroy.

We don't know a lot about the circumstances so the charge may be valid. If it really was an accident I am sure the charges will be lowered.

A sad and avoidable situation.

I'm not really commenting on the incident just musing about the preliminary factoids...

/disclaimer for using a humorous incident to reply to a comment not the tragedy...

However, this reminds me of an incident where we were eating holiday dinner at the parent's house, and I asked my 7 yo daughter a question with a twinkle in my eye. My 80 yo Dad butted in while she was 'thinking' and answered the question. We all looked at him and he looked puzzled, like 'wut?'.

So I said "We KNOW you know where babies come from DAD..." (eye rolling commenced).

If only kids would read instructions.

HandyHamlet

This story must be fake... Everyone here knows that only a .45 will drop a guy with one shot.

{sarcasm off}

HKcarrier

I don't know the circumstances of the shooting, and of course it is INCREDIBLY stupid to point ANY gun at another person.... but let's be realistic here... likely drunk, definately college aged kids... and they are often up to jackassery... probably thought it was a funny thing to shoot his buddy in the back (I know soooooo many people who used to have BB gun wars back in the day before paintball guns and airsoft) and I think the second degree murder charge is pretty ridiculous. Ok, so let's ruin TWO lives from this tragedy...

I think that intent must be proven in order for this to be murder... if he intended to harm the dude, fine... murder... but more likely it was negligent homicide or manslaughter... He definately needs a WHOLE lot of house arrest, community service, and probation... but hopefully not prison....

PT111

The article doesn't give very much detail into what happened other than he died from a pellet gun shot so I can't give any real opinion on what the shooter should be charged with. However I don't think that because it was a pellet gun rather than a .22, .45 or 30-06 should have a lot of bearing on the charges. I learned long ago that pellet guns could cause serious damage when a friend of mine had a pellet embedded in his calf resting against the bone in his leg. I also had a friend missing an eye because of a BB gun war. BB and Pellet guns are not toys.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The article doesn't give very much detail into what happened other than he died from a pellet gun shot so I can't give any real opinion on what the shooter should be charged with. However I don't think that because it was a pellet gun rather than a .22, .45 or 30-06 should have a lot of bearing on the charges. I learned long ago that pellet guns could cause serious damage when a friend of mine had a pellet embedded in his calf resting against the bone in his leg. I also had a friend missing an eye because of a BB gun war. BB and Pellet guns are not toys.

Always knew in the back of my mind that momma was right on that one. Just never actually heard of it really happening. :(

Oramac

There is reference to drugs and the gun is described as a "high powered pellet gun".

From the media who also says that anything that remotely looks like a gun is an AK47. I'm surprised they didn't say it was an AK47 pellet gun. Point being, the media saying it's a high powered gun doesn't mean much.

That being said, IMO there isn't enough info in the story to make a valid argument either way (guilty or not guilty).

PT111

Always knew in the back of my mind that momma was right on that one. Just never actually heard of it really happening. :(

Yup, happened back in the late 50's. Had another one that was hit in the mouth but he was able to spit the BB out. ;) As for me I almost lost one due to a Pine Cone war but just suffered a cut on the eyelid and another time a wasp stung me on the eyeball in addition to about 50 other stings on my head. So when I am asked didn't you do so-and-so when you were young I answer Yep and that it why I am against you doing it. :D:monkey:banana:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
As much as we all agree that the death is a tragedy, the law is pretty clear on the difference between manslaughter and murder. And there are other crimes that might better fit the circumstances. http://law.onecle.com/michigan/750-michigan-penal-code/index.html

It seems that the prosecutor is going for the highest possible charge in order to have room to adjust downwards if circumstances and the evidence warrant such. In any case we all seem to agree that stupid people were doing stupid things (and that when some of us were younger we did things just as stupid, if not more stupid, and by sheer luck avoided a tragic outcome).

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
It seems that the prosecutor is going for the highest possible charge in order to have room to adjust downwards if circumstances and the evidence warrant such.

In my view, this approach is a gross violation of one's integrity with respect to the sound and proper administration of our system of justice. Go for the most appropriate charge and support it with the evidence that supports it. Plea bargaining was intended to facilitate the system of justice, not to allow a prosecutor to file outlandish and false charges just to gain the upper hand.

Badger Johnson

In my view, this approach is a gross violation of one's integrity with respect to the sound and proper administration of our system of justice. Go for the most appropriate charge and support it with the evidence that supports it. Plea bargaining was intended to facilitate the system of justice, not to allow a prosecutor to file outlandish and false charges just to gain the upper hand.

Both you and I know that there is no 'justice' in the legal system. As a judge/lawyer once told me about recovering damages and stuff when a guy ran into my ex wife's rear end 'that's why they call them victims', because you don't get 'made whole' again.

The legal system is designed to do one thing. To buy houses, cars, yachts and big screen TVs for lawyers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Both you and I know that there is no 'justice' in the legal system. As a judge/lawyer once told me about recovering damages and stuff when a guy ran into my ex wife's rear end 'that's why they call them victims', because you don't get 'made whole' again.

The legal system is designed to do one thing. To buy houses, cars, yachts and big screen TVs for lawyers.

Show us a better way if you please.