• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Acme Bowl in Tukwila

briehl12

Anyone have any interactions at Acme Bowl? I did not see rules or regs for that place, and contacted the manager who said he was the GM and due to WSLCB they are "off limits" Let me know thanks.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
due to WSLCB they are "off limits" Let me know thanks.

Unless its a 21 and older bowling alley then the GM's statement is not correct and probably a misunderstanding on his part. I'll echo never to call ahead...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Anyone have any interactions at Acme Bowl? I did not see rules or regs for that place, and contacted the manager who said he was the GM and due to WSLCB they are "off limits" Let me know thanks.

The GM is mistaken and incorrect. The 'bar' portion of ACME Bowl has WSLCB signs restricting firearms in the 'bar' portion only. (9.41.300)

(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;

The remainder of the establishment CC/OC is not illegal.

Why would you ever ask? Did you call and ask if wearing pink socks was legal? Go about your daily business in a legal and confident fashion. If you have not read 9.41.300 yet then DO SO NOW! 300 spells out where it is illegal to carry a firearm per the RCW.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Unless its a 21 and older bowling alley then the GM's statement is not correct and probably a misunderstanding on his part. I'll echo never to call ahead...

I have no idea where one would come to the conclusion of "Unless its a 21 and older bowling alley" has nothing to do with the restriction of firearms.
WSLCB is the only ones that can designate an area as being off limits to those under 21 years of age.
Being a private business they can restrict possession.

9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places
(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;

We keep seeing this type of endeavor by some who want to make private entities accept possession of firearms when the best we can do is ask and or try to educate and sway their position.
It is not a bad thing to call ahead and then choose to go or not or modify carry and hope there is no signage prohibiting firearms as it could serve as requirement to allow entry and it becoming a trespass issue.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
My daughter is on a HS bowling team, so I OC at Aztec and Tumwater lanes all the time. If I come in after my daughter starts, when the manager sees me she says oh she's on lane #. So there is no problem with these two. But as stated a private business can make their own rules. You just have to stay out of a 21 and older area.

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I have no idea where one would come to the conclusion of "Unless its a 21 and older bowling alley" has nothing to do with the restriction of firearms.
WSLCB is the only ones that can designate an area as being off limits to those under 21 years of age.
Being a private business they can restrict possession.

9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places
(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

We keep seeing this type of endeavor by some who want to make private entities accept possession of firearms when the best we can do is ask and or try to educate and sway their position.
It is not a bad thing to call ahead and then choose to go or not or modify carry and hope there is no signage prohibiting firearms as it could serve as requirement to allow entry and it becoming a trespass issue.

I apologize for not being more specific and call out the 21 and older sections designated by the WSLCB as restricted to minors and further for not providing RCW 9.41.300 for the OP to investigate further on there own. I was on my phone and fell victim of giving a quick non-complete response in between activities.

Metalhead47

In case you haven't noticed by now, calling ahead to exercise your rights is considered a cardinal sin by many around here ;)

FMCDH

Or if don't want to call, be sure to have a plan B if your turned away for OC and you wont (or cant) conceal or lock your firearm in a car.

Sometimes, we just have to say "thank you, but I will take by business elsewhere" and actually mean it.

No Guns = No Money cards may also be in order for such visits. :D

Last edited:

briehl12

I know dumb to ask but somehow we got onto the topic, after mentioning my sons birthday. He wants to have a bowling party. The GM making the reservations asked me what we had planned on doing that day, and I told him going to the range.... From that, his response was do not bring any weapons in we are no firearms per WSLCB. I asked where I could find that info, and he stated its posted everywhere. Thats why I asked No Firearms??:confused: WSLCB does not enforce unless its a bar. I was more curious if anyone had any dealings with them. I guess I will find out when we go.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I know dumb to ask but somehow we got onto the topic, after mentioning my sons birthday. He wants to have a bowling party. The GM making the reservations asked me what we had planned on doing that day, and I told him going to the range.... From that, his response was do not bring any weapons in we are no firearms per WSLCB. I asked where I could find that info, and he stated its posted everywhere. Thats why I asked No Firearms??:confused: WSLCB does not enforce unless its a bar. I was more curious if anyone had any dealings with them. I guess I will find out when we go.

This is my take as some have stated earlier, the GM is incorrect applying no weapons to areas other then prohibited by law and the WSLCB only designates the bar area as being off limits.
If there is no signage at the bowling alley prohibiting firearms then it would not be a requirement of entry but the bowling alley still can tell one to leave for what ever reason they choose so for your son, I would conceal carry and enjoy the night with the kids.

Last edited:

FMCDH

Allow me to translate, what the general manager ACTUALLY is trying to say is...

We don't want our patrons carrying weapons due to the perceived liability it may bring, and it may scare other customers, but I cant tell you that outright for fear of loosing a customer so I will use the guise of a law that doesn't actually apply to your situation to dissuade you in the hopes that you don't have enough knowledge about it to question it.

What hes failing to mention is if his entire establishment falls under RCW 9.41.300 (1) (d), your under 21 son wouldn't be able to have his birthday party there either. In summary, he is wrong and hes lying to you or he doesn't know any better. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

My guess is, hes lying to prevent confrontation.

Last edited:

hermannr

Just don't carry beyond the 21 and over only sign at the bar>>>>sounds simple to me. The liquor control board can say nothing about the bowling ally.. You might want to point that out to the GM.

As someone else stated, if the whole place was 21 and over only, you couldn't take you kids there either

amlevin

They probably ban firearms so that a pissed off bowler doesn't start shooting at that last pin that won't fall.

Bowling pins make great targets although I haven't heard of any being shot in an actual bowling alley, yet;)

Even if the WSLCB signs don't hold any weight, private property rights do. I the manager doesn't want guns on the premises he can send you out the door.