• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Helping at risk communities

Utah CCW Training

Due to hate crime attacks against the LGBT community, I have been motivated to provide discounted Utah CFP Classes at the Utah Pride Center. The classes are held at a safe and familiar venue for the community. Since announcing these classes in the media, there have not been any further reports of hate crimes that I am aware of. Not saying these classes have anything to do with that, but it’s a nice thought!

The amount of support from fellow instructors has been fantastic! One of the additional classes a fellow instructor will be bringing in will be the Refuse to be a Victim class. Are there any other suggestions for classes that we can bring to at risk communities to help show our support?

The next Concealed Carry class at the Pride Center will be January 21st from 9 am - 1pm. The class is $40.00 per student. The class is open to anyone interested learning about the Utah laws, gun safety, concealment & non-lethal self defense tactics. Please sign up at scott@utahccwtraining.com to reserve your seat in the class.

Dreamer

I am not a "member" of the GLBT community, but I heartily salute your efforts to reach out to them with CC training. You should also contact the folks at "Pink Pistols"--a GLBT Gun Rights website.

Self defense is a human right, and EVERY human being should have access to quality training. Hate crimes are an especially wicked form of personal attack, and training people in the GLBT community to defend themselves AND promoting 2A Rights with their community is a GREAT tactic to expand the ranks of folks who support RKBA. Many GLBT folk have unfortunately been made all-too-familiar with the SERIOUS need for instantly available self defense. Kudos to you for helping them take personal responsibility for their personal safety!

sraacke

I am not a "member" of the GLBT community, but I heartily salute your efforts to reach out to them with CC training. You should also contact the folks at "Pink Pistols"--a GLBT Gun Rights website.

Self defense is a human right, and EVERY human being should have access to quality training. Hate crimes are an especially wicked form of personal attack, and training people in the GLBT community to defend themselves AND promoting 2A Rights with their community is a GREAT tactic to expand the ranks of folks who support RKBA. Many GLBT folk have unfortunately been made all-too-familiar with the SERIOUS need for instantly available self defense. Kudos to you for helping them take personal responsibility for their personal safety!

Dreamer,
See the third post in this thread.

Utah CCW Training

Thank you for the support! As an instructor and as a veteran, I think its important for us to pass the skills we have learned to those who need it most. My wife and I started Utah CCW Training to pass on our joy of shooting as well as the 2nd Amend rights. After reading the news reports of the attacks on people in the LGBT community in Salt Lake City, I couldn't sit by and do nothing about it. It would be great to see fellow instructors continue this in other states as well. Its easy for people to stereotype us for the gun nuts we are, but I take it as a compliment.

SFCRetired

Outstanding!!

I am not a member of that particular community, but have known quite a few. Almost all of them were just like the members of this forum in that they wanted to be left alone to pursue "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Some of them, for what it is worth, were some of the finest soldiers I ever had the privilege of serving with.

Was told many years ago, don't remember by whom, that those who are angered the most by, and who threaten most frequently, the LGBT community members are the ones most unsure of their own sexual identity and who have, in fact, the strongest latency issues.

Utah CCW Training

Outstanding!!

I am not a member of that particular community, but have known quite a few. Almost all of them were just like the members of this forum in that they wanted to be left alone to pursue "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Some of them, for what it is worth, were some of the finest soldiers I ever had the privilege of serving with.

Was told many years ago, don't remember by whom, that those who are angered the most by, and who threaten most frequently, the LGBT community members are the ones most unsure of their own sexual identity and who have, in fact, the strongest latency issues.

SFC, Thank you for your service! You have some very good points here and I have heard the same as well.

okboomer

And some of us just don't understand why some folks treat other folks differently just because of their preferance, skin color, religion, etc. I try to base my response to folks on what I OBSERVE of their behavior. If someone wants to "act the fool" I am perfectly happy to let them do that as the entertainment factor for me has grown over the years :lol:

Gil223

Not from what I'm reading on several psychology sites. But, I really don't know as I'm not a psychiatrist, psychologist, nor do I feel threatened by the LGBT community.

Training specifically designed for the LGBT community, along with "hate crimes", implies that the members of that community are "different" from the mainstream population... which doesn't strike me as quite PC. The crime should be in the act itself, as it is for all others protected by our Constitution, not the thought behind it.

As for the position of practitioners of psychiatry: "The DSM 4th Edition (DSM-IV) was published in 1994, followed in 2000 by the DSM IV, Text Revision, or DSM-IV-TR. These editions include "transvestic fetishism" and "gender identity disorder" (GID) as disorders." The previous full edition, DSM-III, published in 1974 had completely removed homosexuality in all its variations as a "mental disorder". Now, since nobody else has asked, and I was faulted for something similar, is this a thread on OC... or CC for the LGBT community? (And I don't find it necessary to precede my post with a disclaimer of membership in the LGBT... although I'm not.) ;)

Last edited:

KBCraig

Training specifically designed for the LGBT community, along with "hate crimes", implies that the members of that community are "different" from the mainstream population... which doesn't strike me as quite PC.
Any effective training is tailored to the audience, and it must take into account more than just physical limitations. Attitudes, prejudices, and political affiliations can vary from one self-identified group to another, and effective communication shouldn't stomp on anyone's toes.

Daylen

I'm calling BS on the homosexual community being "targeted" any more than the rest of the populace. Unless a good citation can be provided I'll take it as a sign that I'm correct.

Dreamer

I'm calling BS on the homosexual community being "targeted" any more than the rest of the populace. Unless a good citation can be provided I'll take it as a sign that I'm correct.

I doubt that you have actually done any real research into this topic or you would not make such an easily disprovable statement. It took me less than 15 minutes of rudimentary Goggle-Fu to completely shoot down your biased opinion with stats from our own government...

Although the FBI's UCR from 2010 states that in the "hate crime" category, race and religion are the more frequent motivator for hate crimes:
  • 48.2 percent were victims of an offender’s bias against a race.
  • 18.9 percent were victims of an offender’s bias against a religion.
  • 18.6 percent were victims of an offender’s bias against a particular sexual orientation.
  • 13.7 percent were victims of an offender’s bias against an ethnicity/national origin.
  • 0.6 percent were victims of an offender’s bias against a disability.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/hate-crime/2010/narratives/hate-crime-2010-victims

"minority races" make up nearly 40% of the US population, whereas LGBT people are only about 7% on average of the US population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_sexual_orientation

So if nearly HALF the hate crimes are race-biased (which would include Whites, NOT just "minorities"), but nearly 20% were sexual orientation biased, this means that a MUCH higher percentage of LGBT people are being targeted, on average for hate crimes than any other "target group".

The statistics pretty much bear this out, and you are incorrect in your assumptions.

I humbly submit that you need to re-calibrate the "truthyness" of your own personal biases and prejudices, now that you actually have the REAL statistics from a "good citation"...

Have a nice day...

Last edited:

Dreamer

Training specifically designed for the LGBT community, along with "hate crimes", implies that the members of that community are "different" from the mainstream population... which doesn't strike me as quite PC.

They ARE different, at least with regards to the statistical probability that they will be the victim of a random crime of violence perpetrated by a stranger, compared to the general population. The FBI's UCR pretty much bears this out.

Due to the fact that LGBT folk are statistically more probable to be violently attacked than the general population, their self-defense training SHOULD be different, because their threat level is statistically MUCH higher. Tailoring a course for the LGBT community is the RESPONSIBLE and sensible thing to do, and any competent instructor would do the research to determine their needs before assembling such a course.

Of course, armchair bigots aren't constrained by things like facts, the needs of paying clients, or their reputation among the community at large like State-certified CC instructors are...

Last edited:

Utah CCW Training

Dreamer, you've shown a very true statement. The FBI stats do break it down by race, religion and orientation. Most of the hate crimes are not reported or proven and become classified as another crime. From my experince, I cater to the students at the Pride Center more by teaching how to control emotion, anger management, conflict threats/conflict avoidance and I spend more time on non-lethal force and how to apply non-lethal tools in these classes more so than any other class. How many other instructors do you know that recommend small air horn's or multi-stage flashlights to their students to carry instead of their CW when they are out for a night on the town? The issues the LGBT community faces is different from I personally would see day in and day out. I'm not sure who has learned more from the CWP classes I've taught at the center, me or the students.

OC for ME

Really rough and unscientific ciphering for hate crimes by demographic.

Based on the 2010 Census, FBI data, and numbers from Gallup:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/6961/what-percentage-population-gay.aspx

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/hate-crime/2010/narratives/hate-crime-2010-victims (Table 1)

Victim’s demographic:

Sexual orientation: (5.5% population, averaging the 3 to 8 percent used by Gallup)
male homosexual: 8,347,973
female homosexual: 8,633,032

anti-male: 57.3% of 1528 = 875
or 0.01049% of the estimated male population.

anti-homosexual (total homosexual population): 27.5% of 1528 = 420
or 0.00248% of the estimated total homosexual population.

anti-female: 11.8% of 1528 = 180
or 0.00209% of the estimated female population.

sum of the above: 96.6% of 1528 = 1,476
or 0.00063% of the estimated total US population over 16.

Race:
white - 223,553,265: 17.7% of 3,949 = 699
or 0.000313% of the estimated white population.

black - 38,929,319: 70.0% of 3,949 = 2764
or 0.007101% of the estimated black population.

Asian- 15,214,265: 5.1% of 3,949 = 201
or 0.00132% of the estimated Asian population.

Religion:
christian - 240,821,520: 7.2% of 1,552 = 112
or 0.00004% of the estimated christian population.

Jews- 5,275,000: 67.0% of 1,552 = 1,040
or 0.00034% of the estimated Jewish population.

Muslim- 4,000,000 (averaging several estimates): 12.7% of 1,552 = 197
or 0.00006% of the estimated Muslim population.

So....a black, male, Jewish, homosexual, 2A supporter....