Thread: I need help!

I need help!

Happy new year everybody, I am going to sell a hand gun to a friend,and I don't know how to do it,what do I ned to do, when I lived in Washington state I sold a gun to a friend and I was require to write a note,noting the name of buyer and time and day and sign by both of us, but here in Idaho I am not sure, and I need your help, do I need to go to a police station and tell them?,please let me know,the sale is next tuesday.HELP,HELP,HELP.

PM sent.

All the Idaho gun laws seem to be here http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH33.htm . Nothing about needing a permission slip to sell your private property, or about guns being registered.

If you are really worried, you might write out a bill of sale saying (your name) sells a handgun (make, model, serial number) to (your friend's name) for ($ agreed on). If you are really paranoid you could add that the sale is "as is, as found, with no implied warranty". You and your friend each get a copy. Problem with bills of sale is you have to file them somewhere, and then remember where you filed them. Nice thing about them is you can give a copy to the insurance company to prove how much you spent, so they can figure out how much to depreciate it on any loss claim.

Question for the uninformed - was that a Washington State requirement or did someone in a gun shop tell you about writing out a note (a bill of sale)? BTW, the bill of sale you describe sounds pretty worthless as it does not describe the item being sold or how much money changed hands.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Speaking of a Bill of Sale, here is an excellent one written by a fellow forum member, User, who also happens to be an attorney.

http://virginialegaldefense.com/Stuf...ransferBOS.PDF
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I just sold a couple of guns to a couple of different friends. You don't have to do anything except take the money and hand them the gun. That being said I would never sell a gun to someone I didn't know unless I wrote their information down just incase the cops show up at my door saying it was used in a crime.

Last I check Idaho was still a free state in a semi-free country and selling private property is nobody's buisness but your own.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    Problem with bills of sale is you have to file them somewhere, and then remember where you filed them.
    I'd scan it into a PDF, keep it on my computer & the original in the safe w/ the other bang toys. (Or if I had such a thing, in a safe-deposit box.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    I just sold a couple of guns to a couple of different friends. You don't have to do anything except take the money and hand them the gun. That being said I would never sell a gun to someone I didn't know unless I wrote their information down just incase the cops show up at my door saying it was used in a crime.

Last I check Idaho was still a free state in a semi-free country and selling private property is nobody's buisness but your own.
    May she stay forever free!

Quote Originally Posted by ISRAEL View Post
    Happy new year everybody, I am going to sell a hand gun to a friend,and I don't know how to do it,what do I ned to do, when I lived in Washington state I sold a gun to a friend and I was require to write a note,noting the name of buyer and time and day and sign by both of us, but here in Idaho I am not sure, and I need your help, do I need to go to a police station and tell them?,please let me know,the sale is next tuesday.HELP,HELP,HELP.
    Hej Isreal!

You were misled in WA. You do not need to do anything beyond coming to an agreement as to the price and exchanging money and merchandise. It is exactly the same in ID. You need to do nothing. It is a good idea to know who you are selling to, but you do not necessarily need to.

The one assumption I am making here is that you know your "friend" is not a felon.(or should I say a prohibited person)...OK? That is it

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Hej Isreal!

You were misled in WA. You do not need to do anything beyond coming to an agreement as to the price and exchanging money and merchandise. It is exactly the same in ID. You need to do nothing. It is a good idea to know who you are selling to, but you do not necessarily need to.

The one assumption I am making here is that you know your "friend" is not a felon.(or should I say a prohibited person)...OK? That is it
    I know my friend since I move into Boise in 1995.

Activist Member
    I like that Bill of Sale paper! Wish I had that particular version back when I sold a couple of pistols. I feel better when I have paperwork that states legal terms and such for the sale. I think every state should have a standard Bill of Sale paper for people who sell privately. Personally I think this way there is ALWAYS a paper trail for the weapon.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!