Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting range/ Gun store will not allow carry

Shooting range/ Gun store will not allow carry

So I finally made it to the Blu Core shooting range on the corner of Wadsworth and Jewell. That's the one that used to be Lakewood Family, and K2 before that.

There are signs all over the parking lot and outside of the building that say ALL GUNS BROUGHT INTO THE RANGE MUST BE SECURED IN A CASE. Now I can almost understand this safety precaution. I'm not sure I would like to have everyone walking into my store with an AR in thier hands and not know how to practice good muzzle control.

My rifle was on a sling, over my shoulder. I didn't bring a case. I went to the door anyway. When I opened the door they assured me that I must trun around and not be allowed in unless it was cased. When I explained that I didn't have one, they said they would be happy to sell me one.

Then they said that even the handgun on my hip would have to be unloaded and cased. I wanted to be clear about their requirements, so I clarified, "A holster doesn't count as a case?" "No, it does not." Then he said, "We even require our concealed carrier customers to unload and case before they come in. Otherwise I'd have to draw down on everyone that walked in the door."

So, I can't give you a review of thier range. I left without using it. I have no idea how thier prices stack up against other shops, I never saw any of them. I can't tell you what products they sell there. I left.

I have called them to confirm that they will not allow individuals the right to defend themselves while on thier property. They were very polite about it on the phone but yes that is the policy. You can contact them yourself as well.

Blu Core contact information: http://www.blucoreshootingcenter.com/contact.htm
    303-988-5587

"We even require our concealed carrier customers to unload and case before they come in. Otherwise I'd have to draw down on everyone that walked in the door."
    Really?

Wonder how they'd respond to a cop, in uniform, on duty, coming in to investigate a complaint of a threat of death or serious bodily harm having been made.

Seriously, anybody that paranoid needs to be working at just about any place except a place that deals with firearms.

And just how do they know which of their customers are carrying concealed, if the customers are indeed carrying concealed?

Some might and , while going and . But I think your response was by far better - just walk out and let everyone else know that not only do the proprieters not want or business, but that they are making dangerous threats to the safety of anyone who sets foot in there.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Yeah, that sounds like a silly policy. I never understand ranges that trust you to shoot at the range but won't let you carry into the range or store. It's as if you magically can't do any harm on the actual range, but if you carry in the store you'll kill everyone. Riddle me that one.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I regret spending my hard earned $$$ to become a member at BC. I got into trouble there for OC'ing my holstered sidearm. The guy there even went as far as tapping my sidearm with his finger which is a big mistake. The customer next to me had his CCW and was concealing when he went to get some range time. They even told him he could not conceal there. Their signs at the time said must be "cased or holstered." If you look at the signs closely, you can see the "holstered" part is painted over. Needless to say, I'm not renewing my membership nor supporting a business who doesn't respect my rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Keens View Post
    I regret spending my hard earned $$$ to become a member at BC....
    Is there a membership agreement? There's a good chance they might be in violation of it, or you can argue enough of it for a refund. In either case, they need to hear WHY you will not be renewing.
    Last edited by MAC702; 12-28-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Then he said, "We even require our concealed carrier customers to unload and case before they come in. Otherwise I'd have to draw down on everyone that walked in the door."
    Wait a minute. So the owner's two options, as he sees them, are either to ban carry and have a terse but polite conversation informing violators of his rules, or to allow carry and draw down on all of his carrying customers? Does...not...compute...

Blu Core's owner sounds like a real loon.

I wouldn't go there anymore.

Hell, go out to the Pawnee grasslands and shoot for free and OC anything you want legally.

There are some spots off of Rt 14 you can shoot nearly 500 yards.
    Another option is the Roosovelt National Forest west of Ft. Collins.
    I used to hike those parts with my M4 slung across my chest and my Sig on my side.
    Last edited by Sig229; 12-28-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

And the part I really don't understand is that according to the website, the place is owned and operated by former SEALS. To think that they are afraid of guns that aren't in cases... I think that makes me a little concerned about thier PTSD.

there is a similar gun store in goldsboro nc

big, and i mean huge signs, by their doors stating no weapons allowed in their store/range unless unloaded or cased. i asked if they meant ccw and was told yes...they also teach ccw classes.

i just spent 1.5K in the last month on firearms and not one penny at this store...

wabbit
    Last edited by ncwabbit; 12-28-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Wow thanks for the info. Im not taking my business there, ever.

If you really want a shooting range, the Silver Bullet shooting range is in the general area. Its expensive but they didnt care that the gun I would be shooting was loaded and concealed. I walked in there with only a few targets and ear/eye protection so it was obvious the gun was under my shirt.

I would never spend a penny at a place like this. Many, many other choices in CO, so why patronize an anti-freedom business?
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Believe it or not this place is not alone in these kinds of policies. A gun store/range near me(not CO) also doesn't like any form of loaded carry in their store, and also teaches CCW classes. They don't go quite so far as to require everything cased though.

Other stores/ranges that wont let you open carry/ccw

Firing line wont let you nor cherry creek res.

firing line? really...

when i personally asked the various members of the staff and finally the sales manager about their sign, i was told it was not meant for cc holders...they did quantify that statement by saying they didn't want me flashing my firearm around and not pull it until i was in the range lane...

really miss gang there as well as the range...good group of ppl...

wabbit

I definitely will not give them my business or send any their way. Thanks for letting us know.

As to the Firing Line. Their sign bothers me also. It states "No Loaded Firearms". I guess somehow it is safer to have customers standing in the parking lot unloading their weapons than to have them left in a secure holster. I was OC'ing one day when I stopped by there. I unloaded but reholstered and went in. I thought the guy behind the counter was going to pop a vessel.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

I was OC'ing my usual Kimber, cocked-and-locked, at a range one day for a rifle competition. The sidearm never left my side. The match director asked me to remove the magazine, though. So I reached around my back and took the magazine out of my holstered cocked-and-locked .45. Believe it or not, that satisfied him! I thought he was smarter than that...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    Believe it or not this place is not alone in these kinds of policies. A gun store/range near me(not CO) also doesn't like any form of loaded carry in their store, and also teaches CCW classes. They don't go quite so far as to require everything cased though.
    The store your talking about wouldn't by chance be located in Morgantown, WV would it?
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Yeah, that sounds like a silly policy. I never understand ranges that trust you to shoot at the range but won't let you carry into the range or store. It's as if you magically can't do any harm on the actual range, but if you carry in the store you'll kill everyone. Riddle me that one.
    +1

I refuse to support businesses who refuse to support our Constitutional rights.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Cased firearms at shooting range policy.

Actually, those signs are up for a reason. It's not only for the safety of employees but for fellow shooters as well. If you don't abide by the posted signs then you could be charged with trespassing. Scenario (which has happened), somebody comes in the door with a loaded weapon in holster, sling or hand and has intent to rob the place or possibly commit murder. Would you, a customer, want that to happen? That is why employees AND uniformed officers are allowed to open carry on the premises. At BC you are allowed to CCW on the premises but if you want to use that firearm on the range you must case it. The reason is to avoid AD's on the line while unholstering. Also, you CAN draw from OWB holster with permission from the range master. They will ask you to clear it and perform a DRY draw to make sure presentation is safe and finger is at rest before firing. These rules and policies are not in place to piss off people. They are enforced for EVERYONE'S safety. So don't take it personally. If other ranges don't have a similar policy or enforce them, they are sitting ducks and have less time to react to deadly situations.

If you can't respect a business policy especially when firearms is the nature of the business then don't waste your time. When you walk in the door with a weapon on your back admitting you read the signs, what do you expect to happen? People need to take it seriously.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvguns View Post
    If you don't abide by the posted signs then you could be charged with trespassing. Scenario (which has happened), somebody comes in the door with a loaded weapon in holster, sling or hand and has intent to rob the place or possibly commit murder. Would you, a customer, want that to happen?
    And you honestly believe that someone who would come in with the intent to use a weapon in a violent felony would abide by the posted signs?

Bye, troll.

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    And you honestly believe that someone who would come in with the intent to use a weapon in a violent felony would abide by the posted signs?

Bye, troll.
    I can see you know how to read. I'm not on here to argue with those who can't respect policy. If you don't understand it that's your problem.

Sincerely,

Troll

If that is their policy, I will certainly take it seriously and abide by them by NOT entering their store, PERIOD.

I frequent 2 gun stores locally, one in IN, one in MI, neither of which have ANY problem with my carrying openly OR concealed.

They both understand that I enter their premises as a customer, obviously interested in guns, and the safest place for MY gun is in it's holster.

A store that sells guns is no different than any other store, food, gas, flowers, etc. If they don't want me there because I'm carrying, I won't walk through the door. Just like any other store, they run the risk of being robbed. What would be your attitude about a gas station attendant who draws down on every customer that carry's openly into their premises?!?!

If there is a range, then there needs to be a "safe area", or a barrel full of sand, someplace designated for clearing a weapon prior to stepping up to the line or entering the range area. The range I attend on a weekly basis has a safe area for this purpose, clearing any weapons before the days activities start.

Policies are good, IF their intent is safety. But it sounds to me that their intent is CONTROL, control which denies patrons the right to self defense.

[/QUOTE]If there is a range, then there needs to be a "safe area", or a barrel full of sand, someplace designated for clearing a weapon prior to stepping up to the line or entering the range area. The range I attend on a weekly basis has a safe area for this purpose, clearing any weapons before the days activities start.

Policies are good, IF their intent is safety. But it sounds to me that their intent is CONTROL, control which denies patrons the right to self defense.[/QUOTE]

The line is the "safe Area", always pointed down range , finger off trigger until ready to fire. There will always be that one shooter "assuming" it's cleared....AD

Having control is VERY good safety. Youre not being denied self defense at all. If you CCW, you always have that right.

Pretty sad there are soo many gun enthusiasts who can't think critically and understand policies. I tried to clear it up and hope some of you do get it. As for the rest, I'm glad I don't have to shoot next to you since you don't want to follow the range rules.

All in all I guess that means more range time for me at an awesome facility since a lot of people want to cry over casing their firearms for 10 minutes.

You rock BluCore. Don't ever stop.

All in all I guess that means more range time for me at an awesome facility since a lot of people want to cry over casing their firearms for 10 minutes.

You rock BluCore. Don't ever stop.
    More importantly, it means more money for a facility that understands that such a policy does nothing to improve safety, is based on typical, spurious anti-gun thinking, and represents an unnecessary, albeit legal, intrusion by a private property owner on an inalienable right. Intelligent gun owners understand this and will go elsewhere, leaving you to shoot with sheep. Enjoy.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    More importantly, it means more money for a facility that understands that such a policy does nothing to improve safety, is based on typical, spurious anti-gun thinking, and represents an unnecessary, albeit legal, intrusion by a private property owner on an inalienable right. Intelligent gun owners understand this and will go elsewhere, leaving you to shoot with sheep. Enjoy.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
    Haha oh that's funny, intelligent gun owners. You say that after JamesB did what he did? Actually I'm happy to support a facility that ENFORCES safety. Your spurious statements are quite humorous. I said you can CCW at BC. If you wish to use it, it must be cased. If you are smart you could case your CCW and use a back up as a CC. So there for your right to carry is not alienated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast