• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting range/ Gun store will not allow carry

JamesB

So I finally made it to the Blu Core shooting range on the corner of Wadsworth and Jewell. That's the one that used to be Lakewood Family, and K2 before that.

There are signs all over the parking lot and outside of the building that say ALL GUNS BROUGHT INTO THE RANGE MUST BE SECURED IN A CASE. Now I can almost understand this safety precaution. I'm not sure I would like to have everyone walking into my store with an AR in thier hands and not know how to practice good muzzle control.

My rifle was on a sling, over my shoulder. I didn't bring a case. I went to the door anyway. When I opened the door they assured me that I must trun around and not be allowed in unless it was cased. When I explained that I didn't have one, they said they would be happy to sell me one.

Then they said that even the handgun on my hip would have to be unloaded and cased. I wanted to be clear about their requirements, so I clarified, "A holster doesn't count as a case?" "No, it does not." Then he said, "We even require our concealed carrier customers to unload and case before they come in. Otherwise I'd have to draw down on everyone that walked in the door."

So, I can't give you a review of thier range. I left without using it. I have no idea how thier prices stack up against other shops, I never saw any of them. I can't tell you what products they sell there. I left.

I have called them to confirm that they will not allow individuals the right to defend themselves while on thier property. They were very polite about it on the phone but yes that is the policy. You can contact them yourself as well.

Blu Core contact information: http://www.blucoreshootingcenter.com/contact.htm
303-988-5587

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"We even require our concealed carrier customers to unload and case before they come in. Otherwise I'd have to draw down on everyone that walked in the door."

Really?

Wonder how they'd respond to a cop, in uniform, on duty, coming in to investigate a complaint of a threat of death or serious bodily harm having been made.

Seriously, anybody that paranoid needs to be working at just about any place except a place that deals with firearms.

And just how do they know which of their customers are carrying concealed, if the customers are indeed carrying concealed?

Some might :banghead: and :cuss:, while going :uhoh: and :eek:. But I think your response was by far better - just walk out and let everyone else know that not only do the proprieters not want or business, but that they are making dangerous threats to the safety of anyone who sets foot in there.

stay safe.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yeah, that sounds like a silly policy. I never understand ranges that trust you to shoot at the range but won't let you carry into the range or store. It's as if you magically can't do any harm on the actual range, but if you carry in the store you'll kill everyone. Riddle me that one.

Keens

I regret spending my hard earned $$$ to become a member at BC. I got into trouble there for OC'ing my holstered sidearm. The guy there even went as far as tapping my sidearm with his finger which is a big mistake. The customer next to me had his CCW and was concealing when he went to get some range time. They even told him he could not conceal there. Their signs at the time said must be "cased or holstered." If you look at the signs closely, you can see the "holstered" part is painted over. Needless to say, I'm not renewing my membership nor supporting a business who doesn't respect my rights.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I regret spending my hard earned $$$ to become a member at BC....

Is there a membership agreement? There's a good chance they might be in violation of it, or you can argue enough of it for a refund. In either case, they need to hear WHY you will not be renewing.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Then he said, "We even require our concealed carrier customers to unload and case before they come in. Otherwise I'd have to draw down on everyone that walked in the door."

Wait a minute. So the owner's two options, as he sees them, are either to ban carry and have a terse but polite conversation informing violators of his rules, or to allow carry and draw down on all of his carrying customers? Does...not...compute...

Blu Core's owner sounds like a real loon.

Sig229

I wouldn't go there anymore.

Hell, go out to the Pawnee grasslands and shoot for free and OC anything you want legally.

There are some spots off of Rt 14 you can shoot nearly 500 yards.
Another option is the Roosovelt National Forest west of Ft. Collins.
I used to hike those parts with my M4 slung across my chest and my Sig on my side.

Last edited:

JamesB

And the part I really don't understand is that according to the website, the place is owned and operated by former SEALS. To think that they are afraid of guns that aren't in cases... I think that makes me a little concerned about thier PTSD.

ncwabbit

there is a similar gun store in goldsboro nc

big, and i mean huge signs, by their doors stating no weapons allowed in their store/range unless unloaded or cased. i asked if they meant ccw and was told yes...they also teach ccw classes.

i just spent 1.5K in the last month on firearms and not one penny at this store...

wabbit

Last edited:

Deserteagle8338

Wow thanks for the info. Im not taking my business there, ever.

If you really want a shooting range, the Silver Bullet shooting range is in the general area. Its expensive but they didnt care that the gun I would be shooting was loaded and concealed. I walked in there with only a few targets and ear/eye protection so it was obvious the gun was under my shirt.

press1280

Believe it or not this place is not alone in these kinds of policies. A gun store/range near me(not CO) also doesn't like any form of loaded carry in their store, and also teaches CCW classes. They don't go quite so far as to require everything cased though.

ncwabbit

firing line? really...

when i personally asked the various members of the staff and finally the sales manager about their sign, i was told it was not meant for cc holders...they did quantify that statement by saying they didn't want me flashing my firearm around and not pull it until i was in the range lane...

really miss gang there as well as the range...good group of ppl...

wabbit

Beau

I definitely will not give them my business or send any their way. Thanks for letting us know.

As to the Firing Line. Their sign bothers me also. It states "No Loaded Firearms". I guess somehow it is safer to have customers standing in the parking lot unloading their weapons than to have them left in a secure holster. I was OC'ing one day when I stopped by there. I unloaded but reholstered and went in. I thought the guy behind the counter was going to pop a vessel.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was OC'ing my usual Kimber, cocked-and-locked, at a range one day for a rifle competition. The sidearm never left my side. The match director asked me to remove the magazine, though. So I reached around my back and took the magazine out of my holstered cocked-and-locked .45. Believe it or not, that satisfied him! I thought he was smarter than that...

Sig229

Believe it or not this place is not alone in these kinds of policies. A gun store/range near me(not CO) also doesn't like any form of loaded carry in their store, and also teaches CCW classes. They don't go quite so far as to require everything cased though.

The store your talking about wouldn't by chance be located in Morgantown, WV would it?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Yeah, that sounds like a silly policy. I never understand ranges that trust you to shoot at the range but won't let you carry into the range or store. It's as if you magically can't do any harm on the actual range, but if you carry in the store you'll kill everyone. Riddle me that one.

+1

I refuse to support businesses who refuse to support our Constitutional rights.

Iluvguns

Cased firearms at shooting range policy.

Actually, those signs are up for a reason. It's not only for the safety of employees but for fellow shooters as well. If you don't abide by the posted signs then you could be charged with trespassing. Scenario (which has happened), somebody comes in the door with a loaded weapon in holster, sling or hand and has intent to rob the place or possibly commit murder. Would you, a customer, want that to happen? That is why employees AND uniformed officers are allowed to open carry on the premises. At BC you are allowed to CCW on the premises but if you want to use that firearm on the range you must case it. The reason is to avoid AD's on the line while unholstering. Also, you CAN draw from OWB holster with permission from the range master. They will ask you to clear it and perform a DRY draw to make sure presentation is safe and finger is at rest before firing. These rules and policies are not in place to piss off people. They are enforced for EVERYONE'S safety. So don't take it personally. If other ranges don't have a similar policy or enforce them, they are sitting ducks and have less time to react to deadly situations.

If you can't respect a business policy especially when firearms is the nature of the business then don't waste your time. When you walk in the door with a weapon on your back admitting you read the signs, what do you expect to happen? People need to take it seriously.

ManInBlack

If you don't abide by the posted signs then you could be charged with trespassing. Scenario (which has happened), somebody comes in the door with a loaded weapon in holster, sling or hand and has intent to rob the place or possibly commit murder. Would you, a customer, want that to happen?

And you honestly believe that someone who would come in with the intent to use a weapon in a violent felony would abide by the posted signs?

Bye, troll.