• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun fires from girl's purse in Wyoming Starbucks

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
So, the gist of the article is that a girl under the age of 18 had a gun in her purse that resulted in a negligent discharge.

http://usat.ly/tZtSbj

A few conclusions I draw from the article.

1. Don't give a gun to your kid/teen who can not even legally possess it.
2. Don't give a gun to a kid/teen who has had no firearms training.
3. If you're going to carry in a purse then use a purse specifically designed for carry.

ManInBlack

So, the gist of the article is that a girl under the age of 18 had a gun in her purse that resulted in a negligent discharge.

http://usat.ly/tZtSbj

A few conclusions I draw from the article.

1. Don't give a gun to your kid/teen who can not even legally possess it.
2. Don't give a gun to a kid/teen who has had no firearms training.
3. If you're going to carry in a purse then use a purse specifically designed for carry.

I agree with the spirit of what you are saying, but in regards to #2, the story said she had "no formal firearms training." She may have had training at home. Apparently it wasn't sufficient in this case, but I am 100% opposed to mandatory formal training.

Badger Johnson

Oddly, and I'm spitballin' here, I don't think it will affect handguns at all, or in Starbucks.

The reason I say 'oddly', is that a lot of (non gun fanciers) people don't consider a 'derringer' two-shot an actual firearm. I know that sounds silly, but I bet it won't be an issue.

I hope not. It really goes to show us, and one thing I learned being here is that we must present an over all good image to the public, because it's all too easy for a 'headline' to undo all the good that law-abiding people do in the name of SD and protecting their families.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I agree with the spirit of what you are saying, but in regards to #2, the story said she had "no formal firearms training." She may have had training at home. Apparently it wasn't sufficient in this case, but I am 100% opposed to mandatory formal training.

Ah, thanks for catching that. I agree with you as well.

ManInBlack

The reason I say 'oddly', is that a lot of (non gun fanciers) people don't consider a 'derringer' two-shot an actual firearm. I know that sounds silly, but I bet it won't be an issue.

Um really? Any evidence, cite, forum post, or even online article comment for that?

HighFlyingA380

Um really? Any evidence, cite, forum post, or even online article comment for that?

I have to agree. If anything, most 'non-gun' people will definitely view that as a gun, even tho we know it's not a 'real' or at least practical firearm. Hell, I know several of those types in my old neighborhood that think air-soft guns are real guns and can't figure out why the sell them at Walmart and why you don't need to register it. I used to work at Sbux, so I kinda know the mentality of them. I have met and had lunch with CEO Howard Schultz. Now, we didn't discuss firearms, but he does seem like a really down-to-Earth guy.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
As the OP alludes to, we have the mythical event of gun (regardless of type or caliber) just suddenly deciding all on its own to go shoot itself without any human intervention.

Although with many derringers not having trigger guards it is much easier to get purse detrius and the trigger in contact with each other.

However, most of those derringers have a stiff and heavy trigger pull that only works when the hammer has been pulled back to the full-cock position.

Which leads me to thinking that the most likely scenarion involved the placement of a boogerhook on the bangswitch while the derringer was inside the purse.

But the icing on the cake is the implication that firearms training is somehow recorded by the police who can then retrieve that data when it becomes necessary to determine if one has has any training, be it formal, informal, or nonexistent. It's not just that the reportologist does not know how to construct a simple declaratve sentence - there is quite a bit of politics and prejudice within that statement.

stay safe.

Gunslinger

Oddly, and I'm spitballin' here, I don't think it will affect handguns at all, or in Starbucks.

I hope not. It really goes to show us, and one thing I learned being here is that we must present an over all good image to the public, because it's all too easy for a 'headline' to undo all the good that law-abiding people do in the name of SD and protecting their families.

The Remington type deringers can be up to .357 or .45 Colt caliber. Even with their short barrels--although some are as much as 3", at close range, they can be very effective. Check Bond Arms. They make serious close range guns, plus .410 snake killers. But they don't magically fire themselves, as they are single action only. Would be curious to know what make the pistol was.

Marco

The reason I say 'oddly', is that a lot of (non gun fanciers) people don't consider a 'derringer' two-shot an actual firearm. I know that sounds silly, but I bet it won't be an issue..
Where do you get this stuff from?????

It really goes to show us, and one thing I learned being here is that we must present an over all good image to the public, because it's all too easy for a 'headline' to undo all the good that law-abiding people do in the name of SD and protecting their families.

This young lady isn't part of the we as I see it.
She and possibly her parents are irresponsible and she broke the law carrying underage.
I not familiar with WY CC laws but I DON"T see CC'ing w/o a permit a violation of law, (could almost never find someone guilty of a CC violation if on a jury)

Last edited:

ManInBlack

I not familiar with WY CC laws but I do see CC'ing w/o a permit a violation of law, (could almost never find someone guilty of a CC violation if on a jury)

Wyoming has constitutional carry for residents, which is why she was only charged with underage possession.

Marco

Wyoming has constitutional carry for residents, which is why she was only charged with underage possession.

Thanks, that's what I thought but wasn't sure and I didn't want to research it right now.

When I worked PT in a GS I had a customer come in with a revolver that was cocked and in her purse, she drove across town like that. :shocker:
Her husband hadn't shown her how to properly use it.
I got her to sign up for our basic firearms class, I had words with her husband.

Last edited:

Yance

This just shows extreme irresponsibility on the part of the parents. First of all, they should know the firearm laws and that by having their underage daughter carry the gun she would be in violation of a law or two. Second they probably didnt teach her nearly as much as she should have been when it comes to carrying a firearm.

Redbaron007

As the OP alludes to, we have the mythical event of gun (regardless of type or caliber) just suddenly deciding all on its own to go shoot itself without any human intervention.

Although with many derringers not having trigger guards it is much easier to get purse detrius and the trigger in contact with each other.

However, most of those derringers have a stiff and heavy trigger pull that only works when the hammer has been pulled back to the full-cock position.

Which leads me to thinking that the most likely scenarion involved the placement of a boogerhook on the bangswitch while the derringer was inside the purse.

But the icing on the cake is the implication that firearms training is somehow recorded by the police who can then retrieve that data when it becomes necessary to determine if one has has any training, be it formal, informal, or nonexistent. It's not just that the reportologist does not know how to construct a simple declaratve sentence - there is quite a bit of politics and prejudice within that statement.

stay safe.

I don't disagree, in fact concurr. However, my simply thought was she was playing with the pistola in her purse. Depending on the derringer, they have to be cocked and ready to fire.

My wife's friend commented a month or so ago about how she tried to pull my CCW info and couldn't find me (in MO it is not public record) so she tried to tell me I wasn't legal to carry, since she couldn't confirm my training and permission from the State Troopers! faint.gif

ncwabbit

interesting to note..

nobody from the great state of WY has commented whatsoever? could it be their mentality towards the severity of this is not quite as grand as those from the east feel it is?

perhaps there is a different culture and mentality towards firearms in WY that easterners do not appreciate. I always appreciated that mentality while i was there...

wabbit

ps: why wouldn't they give the firearm back to owners?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
---snip----
why wouldn't they give the firearm back to owners?

Let me count the ways...........

First such is virtually unheard of this early in the sequence of things.

The gun is evidence pertaining to a possible crime - reckless endangerment, providing a gun to an unsupervised minor, illegal discharge, etc. - not intending to say this is the case with WY law, but rather that which is often the case.

Should the gun have been returned to the owners at some time - probably. There are still a lot of unanswered questions though.

ncwabbit

perhaps the second paragraph escaped your read of my post...

allow me to provide a reminder....

quote: perhaps there is a different culture and mentality towards firearms in WY that easterners do not appreciate. unquote

that provide appropriate clarification to my statement?

the individual is being charged for underage carry...only.

wabbit

PS: the news article also does not specifically mention who the family is...e.g., largest landowner in the area; or wheel in the judical or LE arena; or any of those of privilage exercise in their daily lifes.

PSS: still think it is comical the easterners are excited about this situation...lol

Last edited: