• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun fires from girl's purse in Wyoming Starbucks

ManInBlack

allow me to provide a reminder....

quote: perhaps there is a different culture and mentality towards firearms in WY that easterners do not appreciate. unquote

that provide appropriate clarification to my statement?

wabbit

PS: the news article also does not specifically mention who the family is...e.g., largest landowner in the area; or wheel in the judical or LE arena; or any of those of privilage exercise in their daily lifes.

PSS: still think it is comical the easterners are excited about this situation...lol

This.

The police conducted their investigation in a prompt and efficient manner, decided the appropriate charge, and released the property because it had no further evidentiary value. Seems well-handled to me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not so much being critical of the end result as much as being surprised at the immediacy of it. Wouldn't say that I was "excited" by the events either - more that the circumstances were interesting and different.

Not everyone on this coast would consider themselves "easterners", particularly those of us in Virginia - some of whom were born and raised in more western environments. To imply a lack of understanding or appreciation for their cultural ideologies is hardly appropriate.

Gunslinger

Let me count the ways...........

First such is virtually unheard of this early in the sequence of things.

The gun is evidence pertaining to a possible crime - reckless endangerment, providing a gun to an unsupervised minor, illegal discharge, etc. - not intending to say this is the case with WY law, but rather that which is often the case.

Should the gun have been returned to the owners at some time - probably. There are still a lot of unanswered questions though.

The pistol was the property of the parents, not the minor. The facts are clear, an appropriate charge (misdemeanor, probably class three against a juvenile) was filed and property was returned to the legal owner. In VA, she would have been charged with a more serious offense as it is not a constitutional carry state. The same would hold true in NH--neither of which state is exactly unfriendly to the 2nd Amendment, but neither of which is the true West where attitudes about gun rights are far more in line with liberty. It appears to me that this was an exercise of appropriate response by the police and the girl will undoubtedly be doing community service. And, hopefully, has learned a valuable lesson.

rodbender

All of my derirngers have about a 20-25 lb trigger pull, exactly as it should be because they have no trigger guard. I mean it is really hefty. How did it go off without her pulling the trigger, unless somebody was stupid and did a trigger job on it. Also, every derringer I have ever seen is single action only, which means (I'm sure you probably already know this) that the hammer has to be cocked before it will fire. "Stupid is as stupid does." Dad needs to keep her away from firearms until she grows a few more gray cells. Maybe dad needs to stay away as well.

MatieA

Wyoming has constitutional carry for residents, which is why she was only charged with underage possession.

Wyoming DOES NOT have "Constitutional Carry" You must still meet ALL requirements to get a conceal-carry permit to carry without said permit.

nobody from the great state of WY has commented whatsoever? could it be their mentality towards the severity of this is not quite as grand as those from the east feel it is?

perhaps there is a different culture and mentality towards firearms in WY that easterners do not appreciate. I always appreciated that mentality while i was there...

wabbit

ps: why wouldn't they give the firearm back to owners?

This person from Wyoming had not commented because I have not been near a computer for a week.

As for the OP; I believe that if the pistol had been in some kind of holster this could have been prevented. I believe that any pistol being worn/carried should be in a holster. As for the parents allowing her to carry? I allow my 13 year-old daughter to carry when she is with me (open-carry only), although we don't go into town.

MKEgal

Redbaron007 said:
My wife's friend commented a month or so ago about how she tried to pull my CCW info and couldn't find me (in MO it is not public record) so she tried to tell me I wasn't legal to carry, since she couldn't confirm my training and permission from the State Troopers!
Wow. In WI she'd be in trouble. That's a misdemeanor - accessing cc license records w/o cause (& 'cause' is stated very clearly in statutes). IIRC it's up to $500 fine & up to 30 days in jail.

ManInBlack said:
The police cited her for the underage possession and released the property in question. So what? Do you think police should be able to seize a person's vehicle after a citation?
Again, the laws may be different there...
Here in WI if property is used in a crime (& the person is convicted) it is seized or kept by the gov't & destroyed. I've seen some judges who had quite the loose interpretation of "used in a crime", as in "it was in the car & you were DUI". Not that the pistol was used or even handled while intoxicated, just that it was in the car.

"Crime", however, is clearly defined as an act for which the statutory punishment may include time in jail or prison.

ncwabbit

ya and IF OR occurred wherever else other than WY...a lot of different things w/could be done against this juvie...but she was charged w/underage possession not anything to do w/CC...therefore, my premise stands...

there is a different firearm culture in WY as evidenced by MatieA's post...:D

also nobody has commented on the concept this juvie could be some WY wheel's daughter and everything has been smoothed over with a wink and a nod and everyone is back in time for dinner!

wabbit

PS: there are 57 states, TRULY?

PSS: you learn so much on this forum: according to the highly informative and reliable Wikipedia:
(quote) The Eastern United States, the American East, or simply the East is traditionally defined as the states east of the Mississippi River. The first two tiers of states west of the Mississippi have traditionally been considered part of the West, but can be included in the East today; usually in regional models that exclude a Central region. (unquote)

Last edited:

Redbaron007

[snip]
My wife's friend commented a month or so ago about how she tried to pull my CCW info and couldn't find me (in MO it is not public record) so she tried to tell me I wasn't legal to carry, since she couldn't confirm my training and permission from the State Troopers! View attachment 7683

Wow. In WI she'd be in trouble. That's a misdemeanor - accessing cc license records w/o cause (& 'cause' is stated very clearly in statutes). IIRC it's up to $500 fine & up to 30 days in jail.
[snip]

According to her, her effort to verify this was to check the public court records on the interweb and asked the State Troopers what was my score on the training test. rofl.gif

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
1. Don't give a gun to your kid/teen who can not even legally possess it.

Shouldn't a 14 year old girl defend herself against a rapist?

Underage girls should never be equipped to defend themselves against pedophile sexual predators, never ever, and those who do, should be sent to prison and never be allowed to protect themselves again!

Last edited:

William Fisher

All of my derirngers have about a 20-25 lb trigger pull, exactly as it should be because they have no trigger guard. I mean it is really hefty. How did it go off without her pulling the trigger, unless somebody was stupid and did a trigger job on it. Also, every derringer I have ever seen is single action only, which means (I'm sure you probably already know this) that the hammer has to be cocked before it will fire. "Stupid is as stupid does." Dad needs to keep her away from firearms until she grows a few more gray cells. Maybe dad needs to stay away as well.

That's where my thinking was going (yes sometimes I think), "Please tell me she didn't have the dang thing cocked".

William Fisher

ya and IF OR occurred wherever else other than WY...a lot of different things w/could be done against this juvie...but she was charged w/underage possession not anything to do w/CC...therefore, my premise stands...

there is a different firearm culture in WY as evidenced by MatieA's post...:D

also nobody has commented on the concept this juvie could be some WY wheel's daughter and everything has been smoothed over with a wink and a nod and everyone is back in time for dinner!

wabbit

PS: there are 57 states, TRULY?

PSS: you learn so much on this forum: according to the highly informative and reliable Wikipedia:
(quote) The Eastern United States, the American East, or simply the East is traditionally defined as the states east of the Mississippi River. The first two tiers of states west of the Mississippi have traditionally been considered part of the West, but can be included in the East today; usually in regional models that exclude a Central region. (unquote)

That was 60 states. He had been to 57, had one to go and his staff Wouldn't let him go to (I believe) Alaska and Hawaii