• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negligent discharge at a Starbucks

FMCDH

O boy, let the media spinning begin. :(

This is yet one more reason why I give woman a hard time for choosing to carry in their purse. Not to mention the obvious poor access and retention of an article that's not attached to your person, but many woman I have met that carry in this style do not put the pistol in a holster, but just toss it in with all the other brick-n-brack.

Commonly carried are small DA revolvers or small SAO pistols with thumb safeties.

For a SA derringer like this to have gone off, she must have been carrying it hammer back. :banghead:

For those whom choose to carry in this manner (this goes for back pack carriers too), PLEASE get a proper carry purse/bag that is designed for CC....PLEASE!!!

PistolPackingMomma

Thumbs down for purse carry!!! Especially without a proper holster to prevent things from finagaling with said firearm.

Metalhead47

O boy, let the media spinning begin. :(

This is yet one more reason why I give woman a hard time for choosing to carry in their purse. Not to mention the obvious poor access and retention of an article that's not attached to your person, but many woman I have met that carry in this style do not put the pistol in a holster, but just toss it in with all the other brick-n-brack.

Commonly carried are small DA revolvers or small SAO pistols with thumb safeties.

For a SA derringer like this to have gone off, she must have been carrying it hammer back. :banghead:

For those whom choose to carry in this manner (this goes for back pack carriers too), PLEASE get a proper carry purse/bag that is designed for CC....PLEASE!!!

Great now can you convince my wife of this? Her excuse is she never wears belts, purse doesn't match, etc etc...

FMCDH

Great now can you convince my wife of this? Her excuse is she never wears belts, purse doesn't match, etc etc...

The only thing could recommend that MIGHT get through to her is have her take a self defense course that includes firearms carry and retention. Such classes normally put purse/bag carry in a pretty bad light, and demonstrate why its a poor, if not dangerous, choice.

Lacking that, you might run through some scenarios with her yourself. Some get "best case" scenarios stuck in their head about how quick they are able (based upon non-stressful, best circumstance, practice) to get to their firearm and deploy it.

I used one high stress scenario to punctuate the point with a co-worker who insisted that she could deploy from a purse fast enough to defend herself. She was quickly shown when pressed, she couldn't defend herself from even a knife attack. It showed how hard it was to defend with one arm, while fishing in a purse with the other, usually the one holding the purse, all while trying to move out of harms way. At best, she was able to deploy the pistol only 4 times out of 10, and ONLY after she had been stabbed and slashed (with a training knife of course) half a dozen times or more. Essentially, it was agreed by all that her wounds were fatal 10 out of 10 times.

Have her watch the videos from this YouTube channel, she has some good insights for woman.
http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife#p/u

Last edited:

boosteddreams

I'm a woman and I OC or CC all the time. I've carried in a fanny pack holster in the past but have also learned to dress around the gun or make my outfit work for carry - hell, a couple weeks ago I managed to wear an inner-thigh holster under a skirt that had no belt loops. If your wife has any questions, feel free to PM me for my email address. Also, point her to this website: http://corneredcat.com/

/threadjack

Whitney

Holsters & Outfits for Women

[video=youtube;ogGBPVk5GQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk[/video]

This may not be exactly what your looking for, but she gives some good insight with regard to unique circumstances when women carry firearms.

~Whitney

hermannr

Part of the problem with most of the Derringer type pistols that I have seen is that they generally lack a full coverage trigger guard. Combine that with a fully loaded purse, dropped from counter top to floor???

Dave_pro2a

Part of the problem with most of the Derringer type pistols that I have seen is that they generally lack a full coverage trigger guard. Combine that with a fully loaded purse, dropped from counter top to floor???

Yeah, but a proper kydex holster is like $15.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I'm a woman and I OC or CC all the time. I've carried in a fanny pack holster in the past but have also learned to dress around the gun or make my outfit work for carry - hell, a couple weeks ago I managed to wear an inner-thigh holster under a skirt that had no belt loops. If your wife has any questions, feel free to PM me for my email address. Also, point her to this website: http://corneredcat.com/

/threadjack

PICS or it didn't happen:D

She's cute enough, I believe her....

boosteddreams

jbone said:
PICS or it didn't happen:D

Oh, it happened!

Camouflaged by my thigh-high stockings:
2011-12-16172609.jpg

Able to draw safely and easily? Check!
2011-12-16172702.jpg

She's cute enough, I believe her....

I will second that. :cool:

Thanks, guys! :)

boosteddreams

I've looked all over with little success. The only ones I found were a leather version from Galco and these: http://chickholsters.com/holsters/, which have a retarded little flower on them. I actually used a belly band that has a strip of velcro in just the right spot. It was a perfect fit and held my LCP securely, though it was not very comfortable after a few hours.

FMCDH

I've looked all over with little success. The only ones I found were a leather version from Galco and these: http://chickholsters.com/holsters/, which have a retarded little flower on them. I actually used a belly band that has a strip of velcro in just the right spot. It was a perfect fit and held my LCP securely, though it was not very comfortable after a few hours.

Was that the same one you were wearing at the last Bothell coffee meet?

You had your LCP just a few inches forward of your XDm if I remember correctly. You kinda had that female gunslinger look going. :cool: