• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

going to ohio this week

righttobarearms

im going to ohio this week and ill be bring along my fnh fnp 40 im just wanting to know if there is anything about me owning my gun and going to ohio with it? i wont be ocing but i will have it in the car with me. just want to know if im allowed to do that? or do i have to leave it at home?

righttobarearms

re;

i am 18
not convicted on any crime
i already own the gun
well it was gifted to me from my brother
i live in kentucky going to ohio just as a trip with my girlfriend to see her family.
just want to know if there is a legal problem with that?

if you need more info just let me know and thank you

09jisaac

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?119-Ohio

I am not saying that KY residents don't know OH laws, but you do have a better chance asking someone from OH.

The way I understand it is you can OC at the age of 18 except in certain, limited circumstances. But having a loaded firearm in your car is CC at all times, regardless of where it is at in your vehicle. The only way for it not to be illegal is to either have you a CC permit that OH honors or to have your gun unloaded and stored out of you/any passengers reach or locked open in plain view, or just in plain view if it is not capable of being locked open. Unloaded, according to OH, is no rounds in the gun or the magazines/speed loaders that fit that that gun. Clips are not magazines according to OH law.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Ohio law

Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.16 significantly restricts how firearms may be transported in vehicles. Note that Ohio's definition of an "unloaded" firearm for the purposes of this section requires not only that the firearm itself be unloaded, but also that all magazines and speedloaders capable of being used in that firearm also be unloaded while in a vehicle.