• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to NOVA

Adenosine

Greetings forum,
I am starting my new career as a public servant in Prince William County next month. My fiance and I are looking for a very OC friendly and safe county nearby to eventually settle down in to. We are interested in anything but Fairfax, or east of there. Right now eying Shenandoah county, Warren, Clarke, and Fauquier. I don't mind the commute, as I'll be doing 24/48 shift work. Any suggestions would be great, as well as known counties in NOVA whom tend to be FFL friendly is a big plus too.

Any other Virginia firearm forum suggestions to get connected with the community here would also be a great help. Thank you!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to the board.

We have a lot of NOVAites here who can help.

Having been born in Shenandoah, I can tell you it's one of the most beautiful places in Va and is definitely NOT NOVA. The commute will be a killer but may be worth it.

Just respect the Heritage and Traditions of Shenandoah please.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO!!!! You may also wish to consider Loudoun County.

If you are not already a member I suggest that you check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in VA. If you go to their website you can sign up for VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. The website is http://www.vcdl.com

NOVA is a great place to live an not all of us are as crazy as Peter might suggest. We have a lot of OC events and I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of good people.

Follow-up question: Where are you moving from?

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

Welcome to OCDO!!!! You may also wish to consider Loudoun County.

If you are not already a member I suggest that you check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in VA. If you go to their website you can sign up for VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. The website is http://www.vcdl.com

NOVA is a great place to live an not all of us are as crazy as Peter might suggest. We have a lot of OC events and I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of good people.

Follow-up question: Where are you moving from?

I second Loudoun, and the commute won't be bad, all the traffic is going north while you go south in the morning. I made that commute for some years, you drive by and laugh at everyone stuck in traffic.

Sent using tapatalk

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Just respect the Heritage and Traditions of Shenandoah please.

Welcome to Virginia and I would expand what peter nap said above by requesting that you both respect and adopt the Virginia culture, heritage, and traditions. While still found in NOVA, it is disappearing into the pages of history in that part of the state.

As for locations, Western Prince William, Loudoun, Fauquier, Frederick (Winchester), Warren, Shenandoah, Culpeper. Any of these counties would be viable choices for you.

Last edited:

t11spanner

Welcome to Virginia and I would expand what peter nap said above by requesting that you both respect and adopt the Virginia culture, heritage, and traditions. While still found in NOVA, it is disappearing into the pages of history in that part of the state.

+1

I am becoming more of a Virginian every day, this website played a part in it!

Carl

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just to give you an idea of what drives Shenandoah, a little clip from the family history:

When the May 15,1864 battle reached the river bluffs across
custer1.gif
from the
house, shells began to fall on their property. Not having seen Jacob for two days and fearing for his life, Lucinda and her four small children rolled down a hillside to safety (as told by Betty, the eldest of the eight children, before her death). The family home and cobbler shop were both raided the following December by a free-ranging party of Federals under the command of General Custer, ending Jacob's chemical process. In addition to seized food and supplies, Jacob lists as missing one of "the best English Patent Lever watches...which cost $35.60".

Some of us still celebrate the death of Custer!

user

Accomplished Advocate
Where you're going to be commuting to in PrWm is kind of important. Are we talking Woodbridge, Manassas, Gainesville, or what? I think that SouthernBoy and I can act as native guides should you desire such services.

hunter45

Try looking at Marshall or Linden. Not a bad commute at all to PW and Fairfax, but you still feel like you're way out in the country. If you want to go a little further west, Front Royal and Strasburg are nice as well.

SouthernBoy

Just to give you an idea of what drives Shenandoah, a little clip from the family history:

When the May 15,1864 battle reached the river bluffs across
custer1.gif
from the
house, shells began to fall on their property. Not having seen Jacob for two days and fearing for his life, Lucinda and her four small children rolled down a hillside to safety (as told by Betty, the eldest of the eight children, before her death). The family home and cobbler shop were both raided the following December by a free-ranging party of Federals under the command of General Custer, ending Jacob's chemical process. In addition to seized food and supplies, Jacob lists as missing one of "the best English Patent Lever watches...which cost $35.60".

Some of us still celebrate the death of Custer!

Custer was an SOB. His actions in the valley were under direct orders from Sheridan and Lincoln. Any wonder these "men" are still held in contempt in these parts?

Uber_Olafsun

What's wrong with NOVA? Oh yeah some of our idiot politicians. Alexandria is nice but anywhere near the beltway expect traffic. I have been driving to Frederick Baltimore and martinsburg. Funny thing was the local trips were during rush hour and took longer than the one to W.VA.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What's wrong with NOVA? .

From another of my posts::uhoh:

"I hate the constant noise and trash. I hate having to constantly watch what others are doing because you can't tell the good from the bad. I hate pavement and pollution and a cop on every corner, drugs, cities within cities of immigrants, City Councils and boards of supervisors that closely resemble the three stooges, high taxes, slums, projects, parking meters, silly regulations, fat women in spandex jogging suits, City Buses that are more dangerous than guided missiles, fancy restaurants with waiters who float and smells that would make a Billy Goat Puke."

Other than that, what's not to like?

TFred

What's wrong with NOVA? Oh yeah some of our idiot politicians. Alexandria is nice but anywhere near the beltway expect traffic. I have been driving to Frederick Baltimore and martinsburg. Funny thing was the local trips were during rush hour and took longer than the one to W.VA.
I think you've overlooked the main point... politicians are employed by the people who live there... the politicians are a symptom, not the problem. Obviously there are still a few good folks around, and every once in a while a good folk will even move into the area... but overall, the majority elect the politicians, (Democratic gerrymandering notwithstanding...) and that's the problem.

TFred

SouthernBoy

I think you've overlooked the main point... politicians are employed by the people who live there... the politicians are a symptom, not the problem. Obviously there are still a few good folks around, and every once in a while a good folk will even move into the area... but overall, the majority elect the politicians, (Democratic gerrymandering notwithstanding...) and that's the problem.

TFred

In my part of western Prince William County, technically my area geographically is not part of NOVA. But the reality of the situation and a lot of the demographics is that it is. The problem is the inundation of foreigners, domestic and international, has diluted the indigenous populants to somewhere around 20-25% of the whole population. So we are in a distinct and shrinking minority. That would be so bad were it not from human nature which is to say that they bring along their baggage with them instead of leaving all of it at the border or better yet, from whence they came.

So they come in with their ideas and belief structure from everywhere else with the expectation that it is WE who should be accommodating and malleable to them... not the other way around. Great way to ingratiate one's self with the locals, wouldn't you say?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
In my part of western Prince William County, technically my area geographically is not part of NOVA. But the reality of the situation and a lot of the demographics is that it is. The problem is the inundation of foreigners, domestic and international, has diluted the indigenous populants to somewhere around 20-25% of the whole population. So we are in a distinct and shrinking minority. That would be so bad were it not from human nature which is to say that they bring along their baggage with them instead of leaving all of it at the border or better yet, from whence they came.

So they come in with their ideas and belief structure from everywhere else with the expectation that it is WE who should be accommodating and malleable to them... not the other way around. Great way to ingratiate one's self with the locals, wouldn't you say?

Glad someone other than me said that for a change.:uhoh:

paramedic

Well I have lived in Shenandoah, Frederick, Warren, and Prince William. I can tell you that Shenandoah is your best bet. It is very beautiful and you can find land and houses decently priced. Although Loudoun county has some beautiful areas, you pay through the nose for it, you can buy 5 acres in Shenanoah for what a half acre in Loudoun would cost. Stay away from Front Royal (Warren County) at all costs.

hunter45

Well I have lived in Shenandoah, Frederick, Warren, and Prince William. I can tell you that Shenandoah is your best bet. It is very beautiful and you can find land and houses decently priced. Although Loudoun county has some beautiful areas, you pay through the nose for it, you can buy 5 acres in Shenanoah for what a half acre in Loudoun would cost. Stay away from Front Royal (Warren County) at all costs.

Why don't you like Front Royal? I'm moving there soon. I love it.

paramedic

Why don't you like Front Royal? I'm moving there soon. I love it.

I found out that the city government is as crooked as the roads, the story is to detailed to put on here. Also, running EMS there I had the opportunity to see the worst side f that area. There are ALOT of bad elements that live within the town. I also had multiple problems with the schools. I hope you had a better experience than I did.