• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Share Free State Project Experiences

carsontech

Activist Member
I'm curious to see if there any active OCDO members that have moved to NH because of the Free State Project. Specifically, I want to hear about the experiences of how open carry compares/compared in NH to the participants home state. Maybe even post some other relevant stories about the liberty movement going there that would be good info for like minded liberty folk. Also, how's the fight for constitutional carry going?

I'm very interested in an organized liberty movement aimed at local and state level government, but it seems the most active movement is in NH. Its way too cold there for my family in the winter, but I'm still very interested.

I know I could ask this on a few different NH forums related to the liberty movement and Free State Project. I thought a thread like this might help make people aware of the project or jog their memories. Maybe it will get people motivated to start a movement where they live.

Last edited:

Joshua Liberty

I'm a Free Stater living in Manchester since 2009.

The laws about open carry are completely relaxed, although I do recall that a couple of years ago the legislature had enacted a ban against open carry within the State House. I never go to the State House so I'm not up on whether that was lifted.

The legislative activism has definitely been effective, in addition to Jenn Coffey's repeal of all knife laws the legislature has passed forms of stand your ground/castle doctrine, one of them in response to the arrest and conviction of a man named Ward Bird for using a weapon to remove an unwelcome visitor from his property. (He is now free.)

We aren't perfect, Vermont-carry is still in the works (again, I don't spend any time at the State House myself so I'm not up to date) but the dozen or so Free Stater Reps in the House have had an easy time connecting and working with the existing legislature to ensure the protection of personal defense rights.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

In September I visited friends near Norwich, VT, near Hanover, NH and Lake Willoughby, NH. I said that 'If I was not so happy here in Wisconsin, I could be very happy there."

One of the topics of conversation was of roads and bridges not repaired/replaced after the 1929 floods. Good people, principled, conservative and frugal.

jrd929

I'm a Free Stater living in Manchester since 2009.

The laws about open carry are completely relaxed, although I do recall that a couple of years ago the legislature had enacted a ban against open carry within the State House. I never go to the State House so I'm not up on whether that was lifted.

The legislative activism has definitely been effective, in addition to Jenn Coffey's repeal of all knife laws the legislature has passed forms of stand your ground/castle doctrine, one of them in response to the arrest and conviction of a man named Ward Bird for using a weapon to remove an unwelcome visitor from his property. (He is now free.)

We aren't perfect, Vermont-carry is still in the works (again, I don't spend any time at the State House myself so I'm not up to date) but the dozen or so Free Stater Reps in the House have had an easy time connecting and working with the existing legislature to ensure the protection of personal defense rights.

Yes, the ban on the state house was repealed back in January.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ne...04/nh_gop_leaders_meet_on_statehouse_gun_ban/