• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

had my first negative OC encounter

cotillion

Not a big deal, just an anti with a big mouth. I was patiently waiting for stoner bob to get off the phone at blockbuster video for roughly 10 minutes before a lady walked up behind me in line. About 2 minutes pass when I hear a noise come from her, which I assumed was a complaint about waiting so long. So i turned to her and smiled and she said,

Lady- you're carrying a gun!?

Me- for my protection yes I am

Lady- ( about a minute later ) I think I'm going to have to call the police

Me- well, just like its my right to carry a firearm its also your right to call the police. I can assure you however that what i am doing is 100% legal

Lady- I'm going to call the cops and let them decide. You need to stay here and talk with them

Me- (at this point I'm finally being helped so i turned and answered yet again ) I'm sorry miss but I've been here long enough as it is

Lady- if you have nothing to hide then why leave!

Me-if I had something to hide my firearm wouldn't be out for the whole world to see. I would ask you to please look into the laws so that the next time you see an armed citizen simply following his constitutional right you don't harass him also. Have a nice day

At that point she finally shut her yap. She never even reached for her phone. What bothers me most is if she felt intimidated then why confront me? This is the first negative I've had, most people just make friendly comments. Sometimes I really wonder how we have survived this long with the stupidity that flows through so many!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. How long have you been OCing? Are you going to circle the date on your calendar or otherwise memorialize it?

Good job on discussing the matter with Mrs. That's-Probably-Illegal. I do love folks that tell you they are going to call the cops to come and straighten things out but spend all the available time telling you they are going to call instead of dialing.

As for your question - we have never been able to come up with a reasonable answer. We have, however, loads of variations of the unreasonable answer that you must be nuts to confront someone carrying a gun over the fact they are carrying a gun - especially if you keep repeating how afraid you are of guns and how they (we think they are referring to the gun but may be referring to the carrier) can "just go off" at any moment.

stay safe.

Operator_223

yeah, and when that lady gets robbed in the parking lot she's gonna say to herself "gee I wish that guy with the gun was around....."

Hey lady If you hate guns so much, when you call the police, make sure you specifically ask for an un-armed officer to respond" !!

otherwise...... your response was professional and utterly brilliant !!

Im gonna use this !!

cotillion

yeah, and when that lady gets robbed in the parking lot she's gonna say to herself "gee I wish that guy with the gun was around....."

Hey lady If you hate guns so much, when you call the police, make sure you specifically ask for an un-armed officer to respond" !!

otherwise...... your response was professional and utterly brilliant !!

Im gonna use this !!

That's funny that you brought up her getting robbed, my wife said the same thing when I told her the story. Just like in that 20/20 video in the general forums I just watched, when criminals are out cruising for a victim, they tend to walk right passed the guy with the gun!

Lord Sega

If I had something to hide my firearm wouldn't be out for the whole world to see. I would ask you to please look into the laws so that the next time you see an armed citizen simply following his constitutional right you don't harass him also. Have a nice day.

This is a great response, use it for your signature quote.

Last edited:

BadMoon Risin68

Great way to stay calm though, and setting yourself to a higher standard. There are probably a lot more things you could have said to piss her off. But great job on sticking to the facts of how its legal and why you do it. If anything this lady is probably reading our forums right now going "oh... maybe it is legal." who knows it could have been a positive encounter. good job though

hermannr

Actually, you obviously were not intimidating her, but she was trying to intimidate you with her threat to call the cops. You handled it well.

Reminds me of an encounter I had with a restaurant owner once...right after telling me I couldnt carry in her establishment...she followed with "where were you yesterday when there was a Bear in our dumpster out back?"

Last edited:

cotillion

Great way to stay calm though, and setting yourself to a higher standard. There are probably a lot more things you could have said to piss her off. But great job on sticking to the facts of how its legal and why you do it. If anything this lady is probably reading our forums right now going "oh... maybe it is legal." who knows it could have been a positive encounter. good job though

Contrary to my typical grumpy attitude I always try to be as pleasant as possible to everyone around me, which is what started all this with me turning to smile at her. I could tell by her demeanor however that she could go from 0 to irate very quickly so I kept it short and to the point with her. Even if you're 100% right sometimes words can give people the ammo they need to feel justified

Judge.410

Nice

Good job ! Hope I can do as well. Only looks so far , except for a reserve sheriff deputy, that looked at my sidearm and said , "I didn't know any hunting season's were going on ? I just smiled and got in my truck and drove off. He wasn't in uniform , but I recognised him from my CCW class several years back. This has been some time ago now.

WHEN A MAN LOSES EVERYTHING...THEN HE LOSES IT. Semper Paratus (Always Ready) U.S.C.G.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Hey lady If you hate guns so much, when you call the police, make sure you specifically ask for an un-armed officer to respond" !!...

I hope I remember this one when the time is right.

I'm always amazed that a uniform suddenly makes one more responsible with firearms, when the opposite is often demonstrated. I can be wearing a tailored suit, making my usual big cash deposits at the bank (this is my story, and that's how I'm telling it...) and someone will always be thinking that the $7/hour security guard trying to stay awake in the corner has more right to carry a gun than me.

Badger Johnson

If I was feeling mean, I'd be tempted to say (in a loud voice) to the clerk:

"Sir, I don't want to cause a problem, but I think I saw this lady behind me conceal some items from your makeup department in her purse, I'm not sure, you might want to check".

Then get your stuff and leave and let her and the loss prevention officer do the tango.

I mean, yeah, she was trying to intimidate you.

(no I'd never actually do the above, for comedic purposes only)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
This is yet another example of an anti objecting to gun arry on ideological grounds, an dNOT because they are alarmed, afraid, etc.

Always mention this talking point when discussing the issue of open carry with the press, social media, political reps, etc. - the myth that the public or even anti-gunners are placed in a state of fear or panic by open carry is exactly that - a myth; even when they speak up against the gun owner or call the police, it;s not becasue they are in fear or panicing - they are either just curious, or trying to cause a problem - if they were panicing they would leave the area, not hang around to see what will happen or try ot cause a problem.

MKEgal

hermannr said:
Reminds me of an encounter I had with a restaurant owner once... right after telling me I couldnt carry in her establishment... she followed with "where were you yesterday when there was a bear in our dumpster out back?"
:facepalm:
"If I'd been here yesterday, you would have refused my business then & I would have left then."