• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Audio / Video recording & uploading

G22

I apologize if this is posted elsewhere.

I just got my first Andrioid phone & was wondering what app's people use for recording.

The phone I have only records voice notes no longer than 1 min. I didn't notice that when i picked it out.... Samsung Exhibit II
My only other resource is an actual video recording with sound which is limited only by memory and battery power time.

So, Im looking for an app to record lengthy audio, and the app that uploads audio/video real time to youtube or some online place.

Also an app that would record phone conversation because sometime I suffer from CRS (can't remember ****!)

So what do you all use?

Thanks

TheQ

Qik for real time video recording/Internet upload.

If the cop takes your phone and the video on the phone comes up missing, you just got evidence to hand to the DA about "destruction of evidence". Last I checked it was a felony!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Qik for real time video recording/Internet upload.

If the cop takes your phone and the video on the phone comes up missing, you just got evidence to hand to the DA about "destruction of evidence". Last I checked it was a felony!

+1

However as we know the Courts and DA's that are charged with upholding the law turn a blind eye when the police are the criminals; unless the evidence is so overwhelming they have no choice. Video is the best defense against a rogue cop.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I'm kind of partial to the RCA VR5320R Digital Voice Recorder; has a built in (retractable) USB connection.

Gaines-20111231-00250.jpg

Just leave it running constantly from the time you leave home....

Last edited:

CV67 PAT

Keep this in mind about recorders and recordings.

The first thing that is going to happen is a Motion for an Evidentiary Hearing on the recording. It will be claimed that the "copy" is not complete or accurate. The device with the original recording still contained thereon is going to be needed. And the judge will undoubtedly order that it be presented to the court for review.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator

The first thing that is going to happen is a Motion for an Evidentiary Hearing on the recording. It will be claimed that the "copy" is not complete or accurate. The device with the original recording still contained thereon is going to be needed. And the judge will undoubtedly order that it be presented to the court for review.

Excellent point! I know for one, I had not considered that.

Any recommendations for chain of custody to assure its admissibility?

CV67 PAT

Excellent point! I know for one, I had not considered that.

Any recommendations for chain of custody to assure its admissibility?

The time I used mine, the judge asked if anyone other than myself had custody of the device. The judge took it into chambers. Listened to the recording. And then ruled on it's admissibility.

Of course, this meant that I did not use that recorder again until the case was adjudicated.

As a side note. At no time was it ever challenged based on the fact that the other party did not have knowledge that I was doing the recording.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
The time I used mine, the judge asked if anyone other than myself had custody of the device. The judge took it into chambers. Listened to the recording. And then ruled on it's admissibility.

Of course, this meant that I did not use that recorder again until the case was adjudicated.

As a side note. At no time was it ever challenged based on the fact that the other party did not have knowledge that I was doing the recording.

Good to know! We should all take heed....

G22

Agreed.

That's why I have a backup.

;)

My only problem with the backup is that I want something that uploads to the internet in real time. So my primary device will be my cell phone with app's.

Last edited:

fozzy71

I have one of those video recorders and cant use it because of the poor battery life. I just throw my olympus vn-6200pc into one of the safariland 77 mag pouches. I figure the chances I need an audio recording are greater than me needing a 2nd spare mag so I opted to carry my recorder and 1 mag there instead of 2 mags and a recorder on my neck or in my pocket.

G22

I have one of those video recorders and cant use it because of the poor battery life. I just throw my olympus vn-6200pc into one of the safariland 77 mag pouches. I figure the chances I need an audio recording are greater than me needing a 2nd spare mag so I opted to carry my recorder and 1 mag there instead of 2 mags and a recorder on my neck or in my pocket.

My experience with the mini recorder is about 45-50min. I've never had it on longer than that. I'll have to do a test.
I mounted the bracket it comes with to my dash & use it as a dash cam on my way to and from work. It works surprisingly well for that.

B

Bikenut

Gentlemen.. a friendly reminder that this forum is NOT a private place to BS amongst ourselves but is closely watched by LE, governmental agencies, and anti gun groups. While I understand wanting to discuss all aspects of OC... in the area of recorders it might be better to go to PM's when discussing specific models of stealth recorders.... simply because there is no need to point out to our opponents what to look for and what to "accidentally" drop/step on.

HKcarrier

Pat is right... there are some circumstances where someone may think their recordings are rock solid, when in reality, they could get thrown out of court!!! Always keep the original device in tact... but also make digital copies (in their entirety) for back up.. Also, if something really big goes down, probably should have it transcribed by a court reporter as well.

Super Trucker

Gentlemen.. a friendly reminder that this forum is NOT a private place to BS amongst ourselves but is closely watched by LE, governmental agencies, and anti gun groups. While I understand wanting to discuss all aspects of OC... in the area of recorders it might be better to go to PM's when discussing specific models of stealth recorders.... simply because there is no need to point out to our opponents what to look for and what to "accidentally" drop/step on.

On the other hand if the criminals wearing a badge "accidentaly step" on a product that stores the record elsewhere, why keep that quiet? I would think the more people that know the better. This is the sort of stuff that should be on the 5:00pm news. One these thugs are aware they can not do that sort of thing, the abuse of power might slow down a little.

B

Bikenut

On the other hand if the criminals wearing a badge "accidentaly step" on a product that stores the record elsewhere, why keep that quiet? I would think the more people that know the better. This is the sort of stuff that should be on the 5:00pm news. One these thugs are aware they can not do that sort of thing, the abuse of power might slow down a little.
I understand what you are explaining but some recorders do not store the recordings elsewhere but store them in the unit itself.... and the truth is for any thuggery (by anyone LE or anti gun individual(s)...) to be addressed in court... first the recording must survive.

G30Mike

I use Tapeatalk on my Android for audio and QuickCam for Video. Both of these apps will continue to record with the screen off. I just use a pattern lock so nobody has access to my phone. So until the battery gets pulled it will continue to record. I have a 16 gig SD card so I should have plenty of space. The only thing I worry about is if someone would be smart enough to find the card slot and destroy the card if they knew it was recording.
The nice thing about QuickCam is you only have to press the icon on the screen and it activates the cam in record mode.
My girlfriend used her Tapeatalk after some guy hit her in my car. Good thing too because without that recording, the guy had a decent case for injury and or damage. Since she recorded it, my insurance company was not liable for anything. :)

Onnie

I apologize if this is posted elsewhere.

I just got my first Andrioid phone & was wondering what app's people use for recording.

The phone I have only records voice notes no longer than 1 min. I didn't notice that when i picked it out.... Samsung Exhibit II
My only other resource is an actual video recording with sound which is limited only by memory and battery power time.

So, Im looking for an app to record lengthy audio, and the app that uploads audio/video real time to youtube or some online place.

Also an app that would record phone conversation because sometime I suffer from CRS (can't remember ****!)

So what do you all use?

Thanks
cop recorder if no one else has mentioned it

Super Trucker

I understand what you are explaining but some recorders do not store the recordings elsewhere but store them in the unit itself.... and the truth is for any thuggery (by anyone LE or anti gun individual(s)...) to be addressed in court... first the recording must survive.

Got ya.
The recorder that TheQ mentioned for an android phone sends the recording elsewhere, so I was thinking that was what we were discussing. I was just thinking if more folks had (or even knew about) a device that sent the recording elsewhere then the "oops I dropped it" would slow way down.

Last edited: