Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 in the $500 range...?

1911 in the $500 range...?

So, a good friend of mine has $500 to spend on a handgun. He wants to get a 1911 style handgun in 9mm. I have done some research and have found several that have good quality reviews. Thought I would ask around here and see if anyone has any personal experience/favorites in this price range.
    Thanks in advance!

While I despise a 1911 in anything other than .45ACP, your friend may want to check out Rock Island Armory. They have 9mm offering with that price range. I have two of their 1911s and they have been really reliable. For a little bit more money ($550-600) he could also look into the PT1911 from Taurus. I will vouch for Taurus as well. 1911s are a joy to own. Good luck!!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Correct me if I'm wrong, dont they have barrel kits for 1911s so you could shoot 9mm also?
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    While I despise a 1911 in anything other than .45ACP, your friend may want to check out Rock Island Armory. They have 9mm offering with that price range. I have two of their 1911s and they have been really reliable. For a little bit more money ($550-600) he could also look into the PT1911 from Taurus. I will vouch for Taurus as well. 1911s are a joy to own. Good luck!!
    Yep, the two that you have mentioned are on the short list of options. As far as 9mm vs. 45ACP; he is leaning toward 9mm for the less expense/more shooting aspect though 45ACP is not out of the question. You are right about 1911's though; I recently purchased a 1911-22 from Chiappa and it is a great gun! I am really looking for a "reason" to get another one in a higher caliber for carry! I really can't complain as my M&P 9c has been perfect, still......it's no 1911...
    Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, dont they have barrel kits for 1911s so you could shoot 9mm also?
    True....he could always get a conversion kit down the road...

Banned
    They call it a 1911 because at $1911.oo is where they start becoming worth your money.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 12-29-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Two Tauruses (Taurii?) PT1911, one with plenty of range time, the other newer.

I carry the older one. That alone is my testament to their reliability; that I trust it with my life. Fires anything I feed it.

Had a ParaOrdnance Subcompact 1911 in 40SW, and didn't trust it to open bottles. Likewise a High Standard Compact Crusader 45ACP that has feed issues (at the gunsmith as we speak).

Besides, nothing says manly man like a 1911 in 45ACP!

And nothing says STOP like a 230gn HP at around 900 FPS.

Instead of wasting money on a conversion kit, start reloading for a couple of hundred bucks.
    Last edited by Shadow Bear; 12-29-2011 at 08:29 PM.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Banned
    +1 Reloading pays for itself so fast its ridiculous.

my 9mm PT1911 came NIB.

Safety on -pull trigger -nothing happens - good to go

drop safety -HOLY BAJESUS HAMMER FALLS THANKGODFORDAHALFCOCKPOSITION
    Sent back and returned in a week fixed.

In a gun that requires all the internals to fit together with great precision (1911s) I do not trust Taurus.

Here, enjoy some pictures of the internals of a NIB PT1911 from Taurus. This is a separate pt1911 from the one described above. I've owned 4 PT1911s. Took me a while to learn my lesson about Taurus' terrible quality.

My .02...actually...my $2,100 (appx)
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    +1 Reloading pays for itself so fast its ridiculous.
    Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit...$100
    RCBS Carbide 3-Die Set 45 ACP, 45 GAP..................$45
    Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper 6" Stainless Steel.$25

That pretty much covers 'capital equipment', now on to materials

Brass........... Free, just pick 'em up
    Rainier LeadSafe Bullets 45 Caliber (451 Diameter) 200 Grain Plated Round Nose $18 per 100
    Hodgdon Universal Clays Smokeless Powder...............$22 per pound (over 1000 rounds worth)
    CCI Large Pistol Primers....$3.50 per 100

This should yield a price of about $12/box of 50

Buying bullets in bulk drops it to $8.60, or even less. Get your buddies together on a material buy.

Buy your powder and primers locally. Shipping incurs a hazardous materials fee that negates small volume buys.

Guys, did I miss anything for basic reloading? All the load data is on line, so no sense spending money on books.

Oh, and measure powder VERY carefully. The Lee kit comes with a scale, its pretty good for validating the settings on the powder dropper.

Overcharging a round will ruin your gun, ruin your day, ruin your life. This is MOST CRITICAL. I can never say too much about careful weighing of charges.

Been there, done that. Stings like a bitch, and I got off easy.
    Last edited by Shadow Bear; 12-29-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Additional caveat
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Banned
    Bullet puller 20$

I get wheel weights for 25$ /50 POUNDS, = 2,000 bullets

Add a LEE bullet mold at 30$, a sizer die for 20$, and a casting pot, also by LEE at 55$, and you can save a lot more money.

I pick up the brass at the range, and when I run low on my caliber, you can easily trade with other reloaders for what you have on hand. I just picked up 2000 empties in trade for brass I cant use for the cost of shipping. I spent about 20 bucks in total.

Im averaging 5.25 a box of 100 .40S&W.

When you can, get an RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale (avoid digital) and a powder measure.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 12-29-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Bullet puller 20$

I get wheel weights for 25$ /50 POUNDS, = 2,000 bullets

Add a LEE bullet mold at 30$, a sizer die for 20$, and a casting pot, also by LEE at 55$, and you can save a lot more money.

I pick up the brass at the range, and when I run low on my caliber, you can easily trade with other reloaders for what you have on hand. I just picked up 2000 empties in trade for brass I cant use for the cost of shipping. I spent about 20 bucks in total.

Im averaging 5.25 a box of 100 .40S&W.

When you can, get an RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale (avoid digital) and a powder measure.
    Amen on avoiding digital, at least as your 'gold standard'. It was a digital that taught me what it feels like to have a overcharged load in the palm of your hand. Screwed up the gun, too.

Digitals are nice for a production check, but ALWAYS verify with the beam scale.
    Last edited by Shadow Bear; 12-29-2011 at 09:38 PM.

Banned
    I got a digital with the Lyman T-mag kit (love that press), but I traded the digital for the beam scale. IIRC, I had to throw in some cash, but it was so worth it. That little 5-0-5 has been great.

I got a digital with the Lyman T-mag kit (love that press), but I traded the digital for the beam scale. IIRC, I had to throw in some cash, but it was so worth it. That little 5-0-5 has been great.
    BTW, if you ever need 40SW or 223, I got that stuff in piles. Local LEOs use my club for practice, and they spew brass everywhere. The M4's start rocking, the brass comes knocking.

Banned
    Wish I'd known that last month, I just traded out everything I had to get .40s.

Thanks BTW.

If your friend is open to a .45 1911 have him check out the American Classic line.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Banned
    When MGO gets working, he might do better looking for a used gun in the classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    my 9mm PT1911 came NIB.

Safety on -pull trigger -nothing happens - good to go

drop safety -HOLY BAJESUS HAMMER FALLS THANKGODFORDAHALFCOCKPOSITION
    Sent back and returned in a week fixed.

In a gun that requires all the internals to fit together with great precision (1911s) I do not trust Taurus.

Here, enjoy some pictures of the internals of a NIB PT1911 from Taurus. This is a separate pt1911 from the one described above. I've owned 4 PT1911s. Took me a while to learn my lesson about Taurus' terrible quality.

My .02...actually...my $2,100 (appx)
    I have owned 5 Taurus pistols in my life time. One thing I've discovered, you either hate them, or you love them. I've never owned a PT1911, yet. But I have a PT92AFS, that is nearly 20 years old. It's never jammed, never broken on me and never failed to fire. Of the others I've owned, I had one that gave me any problems at all, and it was just a total mystery. But, if I had the money, I'd buy another Taurus pistol or revolver tomorrow.

That's just my .10. (Inflation)
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 12-30-2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

If you buy a Taurus get a used one. There is no benefit to buying a new one. They are one of the few companies that doesn't limit their warranty to the original owner. We have a Taurus 905 revovler that was purchased used and it started shooting out of time. I sent it in and four weeks later it was returned to me with a new cylinder and the problem was fixed....all covered under warranty.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

They call it a 1911 because at $1911.oo is where they start becoming worth your money.
    Ran into a buddy at a shoot a few weeks ago. I spent $300 on my Rock Island, back before they went up. He had a $3,000 custom job. I watched him shoot a 4-6" or so group at 25 feet. Asked if I could try. Brought over my Rocky, rolled the target back out, and put a magazine through the 1.5-2" brand name logo on the target. Then I put away the Rocky and went back to what I'd been doing.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Buyer beware.....

When MGO gets working, he might do better looking for a used gun in the classifieds.
    MGO has some good sellers, it also has some very slippery ones too. Tell him to asks lots of questions. You'll see adds like this often there, very sparse on info:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For sale like new Glock 17 $499.99
    200 rounds down the pipe works great. No pics (my camera doesn't work) or picture taken from 50ft away.

upon further investigation - what model is it? Well its a..... stutter, stutter a Gen 2 (twenty years old)!
    Are you the original owner? Well no I bought it from a pawn shop 10yrs ago (for $399.99) but his use of it has increased the value I guess? Run of serial number shows he's the 5th owner. So this thing could have 25,000 rounds thought it + plus his 200?
    ================================================== ========
    A new Gen4 for can be found on sale for $500! Why would anyone pay a premium price for someones cast off?

Just a word of caution

Now if your buddy is flexible he might want to check into the SIG P250 Compact, Med. or Full size in 9mm, 357sig 40SW (swap of caliber kits avail) or 45ACP I am told it can be had in his price range new on sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF23KiuZkxI
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 12-30-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: link
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

I have an RIA mid sized 9. Pretty new and still working on getting it to feed JHPs but shoots very good on FMJ. Wife has a Gov sized 9 Tac, shoots very good, son has one like it that never fails. Never had to send any of my Rocks in for repair. Can't say that about some others I paid A LOT more for. My Taurus PT1911 9 (was wife's first) had to be sent in, didn't work well at all, FTF, FTE, threw empties right at your face. After I got it back it's been fine. Very curious about the new officer size 9 from RIA but haven't seen one available for sale yet. Rocks have been great at our house, between the 3 of us we've had 3 9s, 1 45, and now an XT22, all worked perfect right outa the box except the new MS9 which needs break in and a feed ramp polish and I think it'll be just as good. The XT is very new and seems to prefer premium ammo which tics me off but my GSG was the same way till it had 500 or so rds down the tube so I'm not too worried. Buy the Rock, it'll make ya smile!
    Last edited by gasgasmi; 12-30-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks to you all for the info, opinions and ideas so far!

If they decide to go with .45, I second the American Classic line, its my daily carry and its a great gun. I had 2 fail to feeds when I first bought it, but 200+ rounds later I havent had a single problem. I credit my 2 FTFs to shooting the gun right out of the box and not cleaning it before hand.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast