Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: .38spl & .357mag in long guns

  1. #1
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    DeLand, FL
    Posts
    109

    .38spl & .357mag in long guns

    Sorry if this might be common knowledge, but do rifles chambered in .357 mag also take .38spl?



    Jake8x7

  2. #2
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake8x7 View Post
    Sorry if this might be common knowledge, but do rifles chambered in .357 mag also take .38spl?



    Jake8x7
    I have experience with the Marlin and Rossi lever guns chambered in .357mag and they both fire .38spl and .357mag without issue.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  3. #3
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake8x7 View Post
    Sorry if this might be common knowledge, but do rifles chambered in .357 mag also take .38spl?



    Jake8x7
    Usually. But I have came across a new model gun that was stamped ".357 mag only". It was a winchester or marlin. I believe it would have shot a .38 spl no problem.

  4. #4
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    DeLand, FL
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Usually. But I have came across a new model gun that was stamped ".357 mag only". It was a winchester or marlin. I believe it would have shot a .38 spl no problem.
    Let's just say that I've been wondering that if I walk into a Walmart store and attempt to purchase .38spl ammo, will they agree that it can be used in rifles as well as handguns (making them 18+ FFL rifle ammo) ? Being able to buy .38spl from an FFL would make it so much easier than private party...


    Jake8x7
    Last edited by Jake8x7; 12-29-2011 at 10:23 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake8x7 View Post
    Let's just say that I've been wondering that if I walk into a Walmart store and attempt to purchase .38spl ammo, will they agree that it can be used in rifles as well as handguns (making them 18+ FFL rifle ammo) ? Being able to buy .38spl from an FFL would make it so much easier than private party...


    Jake8x7
    Walmart? Probably not, it is common knowledge that 9mm is also a carbine round and they wouldn't sale me any of that.

  6. #6
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    DeLand, FL
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Walmart? Probably not, it is common knowledge that 9mm is also a carbine round and they wouldn't sale me any of that.
    Do you think we can buy it online? I know interstate firearm trades require an FFL, but what about ammunition? I visited a few of the first sites that appear on google for ".38 special ammunition for sale" and most of them say 18+ (not 21) to buy.


    Jake8x7

  7. #7
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    DeLand, FL
    Posts
    109
    UPDATE: went to my local Bass Pro Shop....I purchased a 130$ beeman .22 air powered hunting rifle, 50 .22 win mag, and 50 .38spl ammo...AND THEY DIDNT ID ME. I could have been 17 easy. Most people would say so what who cares but weve been having problems with Spanish gangs with teens and 20s so I called my local law enforcement but they didnt seem to care lol...all you can do is try.


    Jake8x7

  8. #8
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake8x7 View Post
    UPDATE: went to my local Bass Pro Shop....I purchased a 130$ beeman .22 air powered hunting rifle, 50 .22 win mag, and 50 .38spl ammo...AND THEY DIDNT ID ME. I could have been 17 easy. Most people would say so what who cares but weve been having problems with Spanish gangs with teens and 20s so I called my local law enforcement but they didnt seem to care lol...all you can do is try.


    Jake8x7
    So let me get this straight, you went in and bought .38 ammo like you wanted so you called the cops because they didn't card you? Legally even an FFL dealer can sell you ammo if they have reason to suspect that you are going to be using it in a long gun (ie you tell them you are going to or you don't tell them you're going to shoot it in a handgun).

    Jake, you'll soon learn that in the real world you don't get "bonus points" for being a snitch. If it is hurting exactly NO ONE, why start ****?

    You cannot stop anyone who wants to do something illegal from doing something illegal.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Walmart? Probably not, it is common knowledge that 9mm is also a carbine round and they wouldn't sale me any of that.
    There are several rifles that shoot .45ACP as well. Of course, there are pistols that shoot .223 and 7.62x39.

    "On a scale of 1 to 10, people are idiots."
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •