Thread: Should there be a database to track "bogus" OC stops by police?

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Lightbulb Should there be a database to track "bogus" OC stops by police?

Reading through some of the recent posts in particular the DOZEN stops of OCer Commander IceMan by DPD, http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...stop-12-for-me
    I started thinking maybe a thread or a CSV (similar to excel) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values file updated by a chosen person would be a good idea.

This would not be to bash particular officers, it would simply be a useful tool to illustrate potential problems and training deficits to commanding officers. For example if all of the stops were made in the case above by officers of the same precinct, then it would be reasonable to say that intervention and training was needed by commanding officers in that precinct.

If the name of the officer(s), badge #'s and particulars of stops were logged I think this may be useful to us in identifying officers and departments that are having difficulties in upholding the law.

What do you guys and gals think?
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 12-29-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Add Iceman thread link
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

It may make 42 USC 1983 cases easier to win.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I think it can be useful, my only worry is that people would add comments that could be used against them or the OC community at large

If the poster stuck to the allowed info, like date, time, place, officer badge and reason for stop, and other FACTUAL information, I say its will act a published archive of the behavior of those LEO's who have a hard time following the law.

Those who post will have to understand that it will need to be heavenly moderated to ensure only facts are put up there and not sarcastic remarks that serve no purpose

but all in all i think it can be a extremely useful tool to prove abuse of power
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Banned
    I LOVE the idea.

Could also be used to show patterns in problem officers/areas/departments/judges or counties.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 12-30-2011 at 01:20 AM.

The ability to attach FOIA documents would be a must.

Blasted out with my Photon using Tapatalk

I like the idea, instead of whomever it happened to posting it, maybe have one person in charge of the thread, or of the spread sheet, and have whomever was involved in the incident contact the person in charge. The person involved in the stop can than email or call the person in charge of the thread, and provide the details of the stop, as well as foward any video or audio that may have been captured as well. This way all info is entered in the same manner everytime. After time, this thread or spread sheet will act as a kind of flow chart for CLEOs, and how to better train. I like it, I love it!
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Banned
    You cant keep your facts straight either Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by eastmeyers View Post
    I like the idea, instead of whomever it happened to posting it, maybe have one person in charge of the thread, or of the spread sheet, and have whomever was involved in the incident contact the person in charge. The person involved in the stop can than email or call the person in charge of the thread, and provide the details of the stop, as well as foward any video or audio that may have been captured as well. This way all info is entered in the same manner everytime. After time, this thread or spread sheet will act as a kind of flow chart for CLEOs, and how to better train. I like it, I love it!
    i think that should be the way to go, have one person or a small group running it.

perhaps work with the mods, have a thread made, immediately sticky and lock it so that only mods/admins and the OP can modify it, then people submit the info to those people, then its posted, then no comments and bickering and such can derail it all.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
    The ability to attach FOIA documents would be a must.
    +1

To be effective with this proposal, suspected unlawful stops (i.e., lacking RAS/PC) should be followed up with written complaints by the subject of the stop. Any database should track those written complaints.

In almost any legal proceeding or complaint process, there is a truism: "If it ain't in writing, it didn't happen." A database which logs suspected unlawful stops probably won't be worth much if there is no paper trail left by the subjects of the stops which PD chiefs, sheriffs, judges, or juries can follow.
    Last edited by DanM; 01-01-2012 at 01:23 AM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CV67 PAT View Post
    This is how all the threads should be.

There wouldnt be anyone there to moderate.

Ask and you shall receive

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/...oard,29.0.html

For people who us the MOC Forum only.....you can't see it unless you're signed in with a valid MOC Forum account.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Love the idea, though would love to see it for each state.
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
    Find businesses that are pro gun and those that aren't. Support Friend or Foe by using it!

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Verd View Post
    I think if John/Mike got enough request for a thread in each state they may be open to the idea as long as it was well moderated with no bashing just the officers/departments involved etc...

I really do think, if the few bad apples know the world really is watching they may find other sport to engage in and leave OCers alone.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Verd View Post
    You could talk to the admin here about doing that -- or your could ask y our state OC rights org to do it on their Forum....?