• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should there be a database to track "bogus" OC stops by police?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Reading through some of the recent posts in particular the DOZEN stops of OCer Commander IceMan by DPD, http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?95561-Detroit-Police-Department-stop-12-for-me
I started thinking maybe a thread or a CSV (similar to excel) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values file updated by a chosen person would be a good idea.

This would not be to bash particular officers, it would simply be a useful tool to illustrate potential problems and training deficits to commanding officers. For example if all of the stops were made in the case above by officers of the same precinct, then it would be reasonable to say that intervention and training was needed by commanding officers in that precinct.

If the name of the officer(s), badge #'s and particulars of stops were logged I think this may be useful to us in identifying officers and departments that are having difficulties in upholding the law.

What do you guys and gals think?

Last edited:

Onnie

I think it can be useful, my only worry is that people would add comments that could be used against them or the OC community at large

If the poster stuck to the allowed info, like date, time, place, officer badge and reason for stop, and other FACTUAL information, I say its will act a published archive of the behavior of those LEO's who have a hard time following the law.

Those who post will have to understand that it will need to be heavenly moderated to ensure only facts are put up there and not sarcastic remarks that serve no purpose

but all in all i think it can be a extremely useful tool to prove abuse of power

Paul C

The ability to attach FOIA documents would be a must.

Blasted out with my Photon using Tapatalk

eastmeyers

I like the idea, instead of whomever it happened to posting it, maybe have one person in charge of the thread, or of the spread sheet, and have whomever was involved in the incident contact the person in charge. The person involved in the stop can than email or call the person in charge of the thread, and provide the details of the stop, as well as foward any video or audio that may have been captured as well. This way all info is entered in the same manner everytime. After time, this thread or spread sheet will act as a kind of flow chart for CLEOs, and how to better train. I like it, I love it!

CV67 PAT

...and other FACTUAL information...

That may be the hard part. It took a crowbar to pry the truthful particulars out of the individual involved in the CADL incident. And the same with the one that was charged and convicted of carrying concealed on a school playground.

lil_freak_66

I like the idea, instead of whomever it happened to posting it, maybe have one person in charge of the thread, or of the spread sheet, and have whomever was involved in the incident contact the person in charge. The person involved in the stop can than email or call the person in charge of the thread, and provide the details of the stop, as well as foward any video or audio that may have been captured as well. This way all info is entered in the same manner everytime. After time, this thread or spread sheet will act as a kind of flow chart for CLEOs, and how to better train. I like it, I love it!

i think that should be the way to go, have one person or a small group running it.

perhaps work with the mods, have a thread made, immediately sticky and lock it so that only mods/admins and the OP can modify it, then people submit the info to those people, then its posted, then no comments and bickering and such can derail it all.

CV67 PAT

i think that should be the way to go, have one person or a small group running it.

perhaps work with the mods, have a thread made, immediately sticky and lock it so that only mods/admins and the OP can modify it, then people submit the info to those people, then its posted, then no comments and bickering and such can derail it all.

This is how all the threads should be.

DanM

To be effective with this proposal, suspected unlawful stops (i.e., lacking RAS/PC) should be followed up with written complaints by the subject of the stop. Any database should track those written complaints.

In almost any legal proceeding or complaint process, there is a truism: "If it ain't in writing, it didn't happen." A database which logs suspected unlawful stops probably won't be worth much if there is no paper trail left by the subjects of the stops which PD chiefs, sheriffs, judges, or juries can follow.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Love the idea, though would love to see it for each state.

I think if John/Mike got enough request for a thread in each state they may be open to the idea as long as it was well moderated with no bashing just the officers/departments involved etc...

I really do think, if the few bad apples know the world really is watching they may find other sport to engage in and leave OCers alone.