Thread: Utah permit question

Utah permit question

Just wondering about the Utah CCW license. I noticed that on the Utah app it has a question about drug convictions. I was convicted on a petty misdomener back in the 70's when i was 18 for small amount of MJ. Should I even bother taking a Utah class since I have to anwser yes to that question on application?

Depends ..

Quote Originally Posted by gdyslin View Post
    Just wondering about the Utah CCW license. I noticed that on the Utah app it has a question about drug convictions. I was convicted on a petty misdomener back in the 70's when i was 18 for small amount of MJ. Should I even bother taking a Utah class since I have to anwser yes to that question on application?
    When you fill out the application check yes* add a letter explaining how it was a minor infraction and that you have not been near the stuff since.... years and that you are married and have _ kids. Honesty is the best policy. For events that happened a long time ago they are somewhat lienient < you could also call the BCI and speak with an agent upfront and tell them the story before you spend the time and money as well.

that above statement worked for someone I know personally and he got his Utah CCL
    Last edited by Packfanatic; 12-30-2011 at 06:40 AM. Reason: spelling ugh
    May I see your First, Fourth And Thirteenth Amendment Permits, please?

Guns do not make you a killer. I
    think killing makes you a killer. You can kill
    someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is
    trying to ban you from driving to the ball game. (Andy Rooney RIP)

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Use the email address and ask them. They reply within a couple days.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

You should be just fine. Come clean about it on your application and attach a separate sheet of paper explaining the conviction. See the attached pdf of denial, supsension, revocation criteria and the "recommended" guidelines.

Something minor from the 70s is not going to be a problem.

This list was good as of the last time I went down to Utah for training Nov. of '10
    Attached Files Attached Files

@gdyslyn:

I agree with the advice given so far. "Fess Up" even though UT and WI do not share trivial information. It is better to establish your level of honesty than to have it called into question later. I also agree with the advice to call and speak with a BCI Investigator before going too much further.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Centurion
    Not DIRECTLY related to the OP but,

Utah has changed its law and now that Wisconsin has a permit available to Wisconsin residents Utah will require that you obtain a Wisconsin permit BEFORE they will issue that person a Utah permit.

Don't like how they have done that but they did it anyway.
    -- just making sure that this "set back" is known to the OP.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

I had a similar concern with a long time ago one time OWI... I was advised by my instructor to handle it exactly like the advise given here. Honesty is the best policy... Fess up, include a second sheet explaining the situtation as you explained it here and you should (will) be good to go. I did all of the above in regards to my OWI concern and got my permit without any questions asked.

Excellent point (reminder) that Utah now requires a WI resident to obtain the WI License before applying for a Utah Permit. When I got my Permit, this new requirement was not yet in effect.

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Go here

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/concealedfirearms.html

There is an email address. Email them the graphic details. They will respond within a day or two. Take that response, answer honestly on the actual application and attach the email response as your explanation.

That worked for me.