• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah permit question

gdyslin

Just wondering about the Utah CCW license. I noticed that on the Utah app it has a question about drug convictions. I was convicted on a petty misdomener back in the 70's when i was 18 for small amount of MJ. Should I even bother taking a Utah class since I have to anwser yes to that question on application?

Packfanatic

Depends ..

Just wondering about the Utah CCW license. I noticed that on the Utah app it has a question about drug convictions. I was convicted on a petty misdomener back in the 70's when i was 18 for small amount of MJ. Should I even bother taking a Utah class since I have to anwser yes to that question on application?

When you fill out the application check yes* add a letter explaining how it was a minor infraction and that you have not been near the stuff since.... years and that you are married and have _ kids. Honesty is the best policy. For events that happened a long time ago they are somewhat lienient < you could also call the BCI and speak with an agent upfront and tell them the story before you spend the time and money as well.

that above statement worked for someone I know personally and he got his Utah CCL

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Use the email address and ask them. They reply within a couple days.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

bforn

You should be just fine. Come clean about it on your application and attach a separate sheet of paper explaining the conviction. See the attached pdf of denial, supsension, revocation criteria and the "recommended" guidelines.

Something minor from the 70s is not going to be a problem.

This list was good as of the last time I went down to Utah for training Nov. of '10

Attachments

• Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Den.Sus. Criteria.pdf
    145.7 KB · Views: 107

jpm84092

@gdyslyn:

I agree with the advice given so far. "Fess Up" even though UT and WI do not share trivial information. It is better to establish your level of honesty than to have it called into question later. I also agree with the advice to call and speak with a BCI Investigator before going too much further.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Not DIRECTLY related to the OP but,

Utah has changed its law and now that Wisconsin has a permit available to Wisconsin residents Utah will require that you obtain a Wisconsin permit BEFORE they will issue that person a Utah permit.

Don't like how they have done that but they did it anyway.
-- just making sure that this "set back" is known to the OP.

Outdoorsman1

I had a similar concern with a long time ago one time OWI... I was advised by my instructor to handle it exactly like the advise given here. Honesty is the best policy... Fess up, include a second sheet explaining the situtation as you explained it here and you should (will) be good to go. I did all of the above in regards to my OWI concern and got my permit without any questions asked.

Excellent point (reminder) that Utah now requires a WI resident to obtain the WI License before applying for a Utah Permit. When I got my Permit, this new requirement was not yet in effect.

Outdoorsman1