• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bought My First Recorder Today

ManInBlack

After OC'ing for six years, I finally ponied up and bought a recorder (yes, I realize I waited far too long). I have always counted on knowing the law inside and out to keep me safe, but recent events have changed my mind.

I ponied up about $80 for Sony IC Recorder (model PX820). I know I could have picked one up for much cheaper, but this one has some nice features that could come in handy if I need to reproduce a recording for some unfortunate reason.

I just would like to encourage anyone that hasn't already bought a recorder to do it sooner rather than later. The confidence of knowing that every word or sound is being captured accurately, and will not be subject to the dishonest refutations of others (LEO or otherwise) after-the-fact gives me peace of mind that is worth every penny I paid.

Badger Johnson

After OC'ing for six years, I finally ponied up and bought a recorder (yes, I realize I waited far too long). I have always counted on knowing the law inside and out to keep me safe, but recent events have changed my mind.

I ponied up about $80 for Sony IC Recorder (model PX820). I know I could have picked one up for much cheaper, but this one has some nice features that could come in handy if I need to reproduce a recording for some unfortunate reason.

In a few years, I think we'll all have capability to run a remote audio/video through the lenses of our sunglasses and when we put them on, the audio/video will start automatically sensing the heat of our head or something. So it will be transparent. Or we may even have it in the form of a contact lens...

My point is that recording and trying to 'stay safe' and not be harassed is not yet 'transparent', so we do the best we can, try to remember, try to figure out the delivery system to having your recorder and your firearm and your cell phone always with you, and armed, charged up and running (etc.)

Right now, I have:
1. Redundancy;
2. Partnering;
3. Good habits;
4. Best technology I can afford.

If both my partner and I have cellphones, recorders, firearms, SA, and so forth, the chances that both of us will forget all of the above is remote.

That's 'transparency' by brute force. True transparency will occur in something like the auto-sunglasses camera, or in the more distant future, a USB port in your head. (don't laugh!).

$.02

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Glad to hear you took the step. It sucks to believe that we need to protect ourselves like that, but I serve as one of the poster children for why that is in fact the case.

It's never too much trouble to turn around and go get it if you managed to leave the house without it. And with the battery life available, plus rechargable batteries, it's no problem to turn it on as you go out the door and let it run all day long.

stay safe.

Ken56

Definately invest in rechargable batteries. Going through alot of regular batteries will convince you to get the rechargables sooner rather than later too.

Yard Sale

The confidence of knowing that every word or sound is being captured accurately, and will not be subject to the dishonest refutations of others (LEO or otherwise) after-the-fact gives me peace of mind that is worth every penny I paid.
Do not get overconfident. A dishonest person might make that evidence of his dishonesty disappear.

gunns

We all worry about our rights being taken away or stomped on. By what right do we as individuals, get to record everything? Don't we violate others rights by recording everything as we carry? I am not trying to start an argument but I think its worth discussing and considering. While we try to protect ourselves do we violate rights of others? Others that may talk to us in confidence now must worry about recording devices and what we say may now be on someones computer that may be hacked?

For arguments sake, I could see where states start to regulate private citizens recording anything. I am not for it of course but I could see some liberal dem out there go after us in that fashion.

Yard Sale

We all worry about our rights being taken away or stomped on. By what right do we as individuals, get to record everything? Don't we violate others rights by recording everything as we carry? I am not trying to start an argument but I think its worth discussing and considering. While we try to protect ourselves do we violate rights of others? Others that may talk to us in confidence now must worry about recording devices and what we say may now be on someones computer that may be hacked?
I have ears, eyes, and a memory which record everything. I have microphones and cameras and memory cards which record everything. I respect others' privacy by erasing the memory cards when nothing noteworthy takes place. When something noteworthy takes place, I archive it and perhaps even publish it. If innocent bystanders are also recorded, well, I'm sorry, but they were out in public and had a low expectation of privacy. If I can, I'll blur their faces or license plates in still photos. Not so easy with video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSmo94GzhyU

bc.cruiser

Recording can be a good tool of your defense. It can also get you in trouble if you are in one of the 12 states that require permission of everyone affected under guise of the eavesdropping laws. MIB, check ID's laws (not one of the 12); I think Ken56 and YardSale are in affected states. Even in those however, video without audio may be OK.
I mostly go with the way YardSale operates. Non-events gets erased; I publish nothing.:cool:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What is to stop an LEO from simply turning off the device or erasing whatever you recorded ?. Then it's your word against theirs.

This is a good reason to avoid being arrested. A custodial search will certainly lead to its discovery, in which case I would say there is a very good chance the recording would disappear. The only hope would be a cop who was erroneously so sure he was right, he preserved the recording to use as evidence against you.

This is the reason you want to be polite to cops. First, it helps not escalate the situation into an arrest. And, second, if the recording shows you being polite, it will really highlight how ridiculous the cop was if was rude, crude, verbally harsh, or threatening.

Also, for example, I might just give up my ID (while politely verbally refusing consent), if the cop threatened an arrest after an initial refusal to give him my ID.

Preserving the recording is of great importance, right after preserving health and legal position.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Also, for example, I might just give up my ID (while politely verbally refusing consent), if the cop threatened an arrest after an initial refusal to give him my ID. Preserving the recording is of great importance, right after preserving health and legal position.
How can we concisely and clearly differentiate, here on OCDO, between providing oral identification and giving up our Fourth Amen right by surrendering our papers?