• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legally armed Tennessean shocked at NYC 9/11 Memorial arrest, Where can I check this?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Citizen -

Please read Wickard http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0317_0111_ZS.html instead of relying on common (innboth senses of the term) discussion about it. Folks seem to miss the very broad point that he was NOT growing "just enough" wheat to bake his own bread - unless he devoured thousands of loaves a day.

Everybody -

The point has been made and repeated that there are literally thousands of laws regulating guns and that most of the cops do not even know the ones passed by their own jurisdiction, let alone their state. And there are 50 States, 7 Territories and (since PA, KY, VA [and I think but may be wrong one other] were counted as States) 3 Commonwealths where at some time find ourself and our gun, there are literally hundreds of thousands of laws we may be subject to. It is up to the individual to decide how much or how little they want to inform themself about the laws - be it their hometown, their state, or the places tey may sojourn through or visit. But the settled law is that unless you are a LEO, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Learn to live with it. Live with the consequences.

Constitutional scholars -

Thanks to Reconstruction and the 14th Amendment most of the Constitution has been "applied" against the States. SCOTUS has most recently left us with two decisions that say that now goes for the Second Amendment so far as it concerns possessing a handgun in loaded, operable condition in your home for self defense purposes - but they have not yet gone any further.

All this is why IANAL irritates me - most of the time I think folks are trying to say IANAA (I am not an attorney) and thus any opinion I might voice should not be taken as gospel. The reason for the distinction first - a "lawyer" is merely one who has made a study (how deep or how well is never in question) of the law, while an "attorney" is a lawyer who has been admitted to the bar - accepted into the guild and now allowed by his guild brothers and the law to charge money in exchange for giving you his advice on what the law says, means and how it will operate, while being protected by the notion that even an attorney can give bad advice but not be held liable unless it was so outrageously bad that they embarass the guild. The "practice" of law (when are they going to stop practicing and get it right?) is about getting money in exchange for the use of accumulated knowledge and experience. As long as one does not charge or accept compensation for their opinion/advice they should not run afoul of laws against the illegal practice of law. But it is nice and polite to remind people tat they bear the ultimate responsibility for deciding how to proceed - whether it be on the advice you paid an attorney for or on the advice from someone on the internet.

But trying to get back on track - the ownership, possession and use of a firearm is a serious undertaking. Anybody who does so has a better chance of staying out of trouble if they take the time to become aquainted with at least the basic laws they might encounter. That seems to be borne out by most of the folks who populate OCDO - the willingness and desire to learn, exchange valid information, and pass on our accumulated wisdom such as it is. I'd guess that goes for all the folks that populate all the other gun boards or read the gun blogs. But if you consider the number of gun owners compared to the number of folks who even just lurk and read you can see that we who think like that are in the vast minority. Be that as it may, we keep trying.

OK, I've run out of comments for the moment.

stay safe.

paramedic70002

The plot thickens. Another poster child for changing bad laws:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/03/m...ehind-bars-for-unknowingly-violating-gun-law/

Ryan Jerome was enjoying his first trip to New York City on business when the former Marine Corps gunner walked up to a security officer at the Empire State Building and asked where he should check his gun.
That was when Jerome’s nightmare began. The security officer called police and Jerome spent the next two days in jail.
The 28-year-old with no criminal history now faces a mandatory minimum sentence of three and a half years in prison. If convicted, his sentence could be as high as fifteen years.
Jerome has a valid concealed carry permit in Indiana and visited New York believing that it was legal to bring his firearm. He was traveling with $15,000 worth of jewelry that he planned to sell.

OC for ME

Citizen - <snip>
The number of laws relating to the possession of a firearm are few in Missouri. The language used by municipalities that have restrictions on possession are almost identical to state laws. Municipalities here in Missouri follow state law fairly closely to mitigate any legal problems.

There are more laws regarding where you may possess, but the 'state' and private citizens typically post signs. The list of where is not very long and is likely similar to other states.

Rattrapper

This same thing has happen to a Marine, at the empire state building.

It is time to Boycott that whole state until Albany REVOKES, New York City's Home Rule Authority. This means no hunting trips up state, no fishing in Pulaski, and refuse to buy anything from New York Companies.

Radical, Yes. When are we going to excise our ability to be heard? Have you had enough yet?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I did not infer anything about how smart you are but you have inferred that I did not consider others opinions.

It seems that the biggest problem with these forums is that if anyone dares speak out of turn or dare to not agree with the word jujitsu of some that they are to be squashed immediately.

I am not the enemy here.

If you go to the average person and start talking about Supreme Court decisions and using legal terminology that they do not care to learn, you do nothing but exclude them from the fight.

We must phrase the argument in terms that the average person understands.

As I have stated multiple times in this thread, if someone were told that they had to buy a permit from the government in order to carry their King James Bible, they would tell you where to shove your permit.

So, if the government cannot take away our First Amendment right by demanding a fee for a permit to worship via carrying a Bible, how can it charge us a fee and require a permit to exercise our Second Amendment right?

See, it is an argument that the average person can grasp.

Arguments such as that will go far further to turn on light bulbs in our otherwise "government school" educated people.

No, you inferred, he can only imply.

rscottie

Snip

Everybody -

The point has been made and repeated that there are literally thousands of laws regulating guns and that most of the cops do not even know the ones passed by their own jurisdiction, let alone their state. And there are 50 States, 7 Territories and (since PA, KY, VA [and I think but may be wrong one other] were counted as States) 3 Commonwealths where at some time find ourself and our gun, there are literally hundreds of thousands of laws we may be subject to. It is up to the individual to decide how much or how little they want to inform themself about the laws - be it their hometown, their state, or the places tey may sojourn through or visit. But the settled law is that unless you are a LEO, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Learn to live with it. Live with the consequences.

Snip

stay safe.

Skidmark,

I respect your opinion and generally agree with you.

Except for this, "Learn to live with it. Live with the consequences"

Sitting back and just accepting what NY has done is not in my nature. Please tell me that is not how you meant that statement.

We must fight these bad laws with each opportunity that we get. This is a huge chance to convince the "rulers" of NY and NYC that the people are fed up with the gun laws that only effect the law abiding and have zero effect on crime or criminals. Such laws trap people with no intention of committing any crime with their firearm and merely wish to have the means of self-defense.

Now we have two cases of otherwise law-abiding citizens that instantly became criminals for mere possession of a tool. More than one lawmaker and city councilman are questioning whether the laws are too strict.

Average people that are not lawyers, can see the ignorance of these laws. This is a huge opportunity to rile up the people that do not read these forums, are not versed in the law, do not consider themselves gun nuts, and carry for self defense. These people could be a huge voice to help all of us get these bad laws changed.

Also, if people, potential tourists, inundate these people with valid concerns about their self-defense and let them know that this is effecting tourism, they may see the light.

We must fight bad laws that infringe upon our rights and the only recourse we have is our voice. Speaking out and convincing others to speak out is the best thing we can do.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Rscottie -

Maybe it would help if I isolate the thought:

But the settled law is that unless you are a LEO, ignorance of the law is no excuse. Learn to live with it. Live with the consequences.

I agree that we should not tolerate the abuses NYC/NYS imposes on otherwise law abiding citizens. But the only way to remain law abiding is to be aware of and comply with the existing law - unless one is volunteering to be the case that forces the repeal of that law. In the mreantime, activism is needed and to be supported.

But I disagree that "Now we have two cases of otherwise law-abiding citizens that instantly became criminals for mere possession of a tool." They became criminals because they violated a law. Since they are not cops, the fact that thery might not have known what tey did was illegal does not matter.

That more than one lawmaker and city councilman (what is the difference between them?) are questioning whether the laws are too strict is too our favor, as it indicates that they see the law as both inherently bad and the penalty excessive -- or so they would have us believe. The truth is they are scared out of their wits that some activist judge will repeal the entirety of their gun control law before the lawmakers have a chance to tweak it themselves.

stay safe.

rscottie

Rscottie -

Maybe it would help if I isolate the thought:

I agree that we should not tolerate the abuses NYC/NYS imposes on otherwise law abiding citizens. But the only way to remain law abiding is to be aware of and comply with the existing law - unless one is volunteering to be the case that forces the repeal of that law. In the mreantime, activism is needed and to be supported.

But I disagree that "Now we have two cases of otherwise law-abiding citizens that instantly became criminals for mere possession of a tool." They became criminals because they violated a law. Since they are not cops, the fact that thery might not have known what tey did was illegal does not matter.

That more than one lawmaker and city councilman (what is the difference between them?) are questioning whether the laws are too strict is too our favor, as it indicates that they see the law as both inherently bad and the penalty excessive -- or so they would have us believe. The truth is they are scared out of their wits that some activist judge will repeal the entirety of their gun control law before the lawmakers have a chance to tweak it themselves.

stay safe.

Now we have a third case... http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...inal-record-faces-3-years-in-jail-in-new-york

The fact that they would like to tweak the law before it gets repealed means that the more people that phone, email, snail-mail, and talk about this the better.

These kinds of cases speak to the non-gun-nut that does not read these forums or get in to the politics of firearms. They have Concealed Carry Permits and cannot fathom that their Civil Rights are ignored in certain parts of the country.

I know it is scary to think, but these types of people far outnumber us. If they start speaking up, it could help everyone.

taurusfan

stupid

Stupid is as stupid does.

If they don't know it's illegal to carry in NYC then I doubt they know anything else about carrying a gun.

Aknazer

Stupid is as stupid does.

If they don't know it's illegal to carry in NYC then I doubt they know anything else about carrying a gun.

Being ignorant doesn't make one stupid. Unless my wife has picked it up from myself or my dad talking about how stupid NY is, she likely would not know that it is illegal to carry there even though she has been trained on how to fire a gun and has taken a CCW class. While I don't think she would go to a state w/o looking up at the very least if it is legal for her to carry there on her CFP, I can see how a person could do so.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Citizen -

Please read Wickard http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0317_0111_ZS.html instead of relying on common (innboth senses of the term) discussion about it. Folks seem to miss the very broad point that he was NOT growing "just enough" wheat to bake his own bread - unless he devoured thousands of loaves a day.

I skimmed it; no time to read right now. But, thanks. It sorta confirmed my understanding that he was using the wheat the feed his own chickens or something.

The key point is that SCOTUS confirmed that even if something is not moving in interstate commerce, it is still subject to regulation if it affects interstate commerce. Absurd.

I'll read it entirely later. Thanks nonetheless.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
What do you understand mens rea to be? I think that it is the classical element of a crime.

Seemingly, only in Fantasy Court. Have not people been convicted of firearms offenses because the plane they were on needed to make an emergency stop in an anti-gun state that the gun possessor never even intended to enter?

Last edited:

KBCraig

In re Wickard v. Filburn:
I skimmed it; no time to read right now. But, thanks. It sorta confirmed my understanding that he was using the wheat the feed his own chickens or something.

The key point is that SCOTUS confirmed that even if something is not moving in interstate commerce, it is still subject to regulation if it affects interstate commerce. Absurd.
The true evil of the ruling in Wickard is that it supported the government's position that they don't have to demonstrate interstate commerce, nor even intrastate commerce: they need only claim that an activity could affect interstate commerce by third parties.

Firedawg314

Why I hate traveling to places that don't "like you"

In general, I have meet some nice people from New York. But after reading the story... you mean no one could tell the differnce in a person who was being honest and trying to obey the laws vs. a person trying to sneek a gun in to use it in harm??? Have we forgot... that the laws are basically made up to punish the bad people? Think about it... there's no laws on walking on the side walk... but there are laws for "J-walking". I would hate to see a person to be acused of taking "X" when they where taking a P.M. type medican for a headache. Really... where is the common sense?

IN my opinion, this is why I don't spend my money in places that doesn't honor our rights. Such as Illionis. After I got my CCW, I stop buying things from the state. I refuse to visit any landmarks etc. After I notice places like, NY, NJ and others that does not recongize my Missouir CCW... I have no intentions on spending 1 cent there. I would love to visit the 911 memorial, but after reading that post... I'll watch it on History Channel. I a true believer of carrying my firearm everywhere I go. I respect the laws of private places such as hospitals, government places, etc. I just lock it up in my valut in the car. And from my understanding... if you make a mistake and carry it... you are 1st, asked to leave. If you don't you will be fined and reported to the police. I just wished that she would have just went back to the car and locked it up. But from what I know of being in NYC... there's a 99% chance she taken a cab.

What happen here? You had a "smart azz" renta cop stating "law enforcement day"? Then taken her to a place where she could be arrested. If I where the owner or manager... I would request that gaurd to be fired.

Really do we have the rights of 2A or its just an illusion? In my opinion... this is just my own little thought...everyone who supports 2A need to stop supporting those companies, states etc that are against CC and or OC. Just think about it... what if a state or company stood up and said ,they are against gays... there would be a number of people boycotting the place. In general everything is about the "all mighty dollar". I'm sure going to the 911 memorial wasn't free. Nor free to park, nor free cab fares, etc. Heck that's probably why so many people who love 2A also love places like Texas Even I, love to visit the city of St. Louis... but they do not accept OC... I'm willing to believe that CC may be a problem there too. So in short... the city receives NOTHING FROM ME... sorry Rams and Cards (even though I know you can't bring it in a place that seats over 5,000 people)