• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marine shot in Florida over Craigslist meet.

tim12232

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-marine-veteran-shot-craigslist-robbery-used-fingers-172856828.html

When I meet with a craigslist sale, I carry.
Brought his kids with and then chased the guys, leaving them a block away.
Thought that they were meeting at a well populated center, instead apartments.

I am very happy that this Marine is going to be ok, and I wish a him a speedy and full recovery.

But what would have happened if he had been OC, or even CC during the event?
And maybe used better judgment?

Tim

MamaLiberty

"Instead of dropping the necklace, the two men took off running and Trenker pursued them for several blocks before one of the suspects, Jeff Steele, "turned and fired several shots at him,"

I'm glad he's going to be ok too. And I hope he learned a lot of good things from the experience.

First one: Don't chase after criminals. This was stupid, whether or not he had been armed himself.

el rompe toto

Wow over a chain. I'm from Florida and I live in one of the worst places in fl and the stupidity I c and here from pplz it's just crazy. How u try 2 kill some one over a chain

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
how about the fact that he left his children in the car in this bad area while he is 'blocks away' chasing MULTIPLE criminals.

edit
Brought his kids with and then chased the guys, leaving them a block away.
I'm dumb. You already brought this point up...sorry...I lower my head in shame

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Rule # 1 also applies to returning combat vets since America nowadays isn't any safer than most other places: Carry a gun ON you at ALL times, no excuses.

Especially meeting strangers who say they want to buy something you're selling -- especially GOLD for gosh sake!

This sounds like that OC guy in the conveneice store a while back who ran after the street-punk who stole the guy's OC gun...then turned on the OC guy and shot him. Maybe because the Marine was a big strong-looking guy, he thought he could handle the situation physically. No matter how big and strong though, no one is bullet-proof. :-(

He's lucky to be alive. If you're going to chase after a criminal, only do so if you are armed (and your gun is OUT)!

I hope the Marine wised-up...too bad it was a lesson learned (IF learned) the HARD way.

Last edited:

Dreghorn

The few times I have met anyone for a Craigs List deal I have met them at, or across the street from a police precinct. And once at the shopping mall. Armed every time. I learned early, see a fella I knew, when Craigs List was fairly new, was selling his car, unfortunately he had the buyer meet him at his house. He was found sitting at his dining room table shot dead, car and most anything of value, gone.