• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sahara Coin now posting "No Firearms" signs.

Nevada carrier

Over the last year I've visited this business about half a dozen times to buy silver. It's been a few months since I was there but this time, in addition to the sign on the door stating that they will use lethal force to defend their property, there was a new sign that reads "No Firearms, Having a Nevada CCW does not authorise the posession of a concealed firearm on these premises." Interestingly enough I've visited this business while OCing before and no one even looked twice. I simply conducted my purchase and left.

It just so happened that today I had my firearm concealed so I just ignored the notice on the door and made my purchase as usual. I also understand why that don't want armed people, but for the same reason when I'm spending large amounts of money in a business that makes it obvious to anyone looking that I'me likely to enter with a fair amount of cash and might be leaving with something worth a lot of cash. If a crook believes that I'm abiding by the store's rules, It makes me a target.

I was planning to write the store owner or manager to explain my concern, If anyone else transacts this type of business and would like to also write them, perhaps they can change their mind and remove the sign.

Sahara Coin
7293 W Sahara Ave #106 Las Vegas, NV 89117

ManInBlack

Are there no other dealers of silver in the area? I would have explained to them why they lost a regular customer and transacted my business elsewhere...

The Big Guy

Wonder if they got robbed?

Just a note that there is a sponsor on this board that I buy from and highly recommend, APMEX. Have done biz with them for several years.

TBG

Nevada carrier

I always liked Sahara Coin because you can buy locally, take possession instantly and you don't pay shipping. When it's time to sell, they pay you fair market value for your goods. I have an account with Goldline and made a purchase with them before, but they charge you a fee for small orders, charge you for shipping, and it took almost 3 months before I received my coins. I purchased 10 ounces of silver at $35/oz and after shipping and fees I barely broke even when I sold them at $49/oz. So now I'm hesitant to purchase online anymore.

That Said, I'm still going to send Sahara Coin a letter asking them to change their policy to retain my business. Do I think they'll care? Probably not, They don't make a lot of money of my twice monthly purchase of 20 Franklin halves.

Nevada carrier

For rare coins, when the purchase price is determined by the grade of the coin, brick and mortar is the only way to go. Would you pay big bucks on someone's word that the coin you were about to buy was what they said it was? No, you want to see it for yourself. That said, I don't buy rare coins, I buy "Junk" silver coins minted prior to '65. I could care less if it's shiny and new or a date that's hard to find. I'm after the silver (90%) in them. So ling as the edge is reeded all the way around and the entire coin is intact, I'm good with that. The downside of buying through firms like Goldline is they do not accept a credit card. This means I must have money deposited in a trading account with them. What happens when I decide to make a trade, call them up and find the number disconnected because they folded? Not only do I not get my silver (possibly at a crucial low price), but I'm out the fiat money I deposited with them.

When it comes to buying and selling precious metal of any form, brink and mortar > online/mail-order. One of the better places in town to buy precious metal is also the biggest pain in the ass to do business with because of all the tourists; Gold and Silver Pawn.

SovereignAxe

For rare coins, when the purchase price is determined by the grade of the coin, brick and mortar is the only way to go. Would you pay big bucks on someone's word that the coin you were about to buy was what they said it was? No, you want to see it for yourself. That said, I don't buy rare coins, I buy "Junk" silver coins minted prior to '65. I could care less if it's shiny and new or a date that's hard to find. I'm after the silver (90%) in them. So ling as the edge is reeded all the way around and the entire coin is intact, I'm good with that. The downside of buying through firms like Goldline is they do not accept a credit card. This means I must have money deposited in a trading account with them. What happens when I decide to make a trade, call them up and find the number disconnected because they folded? Not only do I not get my silver (possibly at a crucial low price), but I'm out the fiat money I deposited with them.

When it comes to buying and selling precious metal of any form, brink and mortar > online/mail-order. One of the better places in town to buy precious metal is also the biggest pain in the ass to do business with because of all the tourists; Gold and Silver Pawn.

That's the one on Pawn Stars, right?

So the inflated price of the coin itself is still worth it? I mean, if all you want is the raw silver, why not just buy silver? I would think that the fact that it's in the shape of a coin, even one in poor shape, would increase it's price prohibitively for your purposes.

The Big Guy

I always liked Sahara Coin because you can buy locally, take possession instantly and you don't pay shipping. When it's time to sell, they pay you fair market value for your goods. I have an account with Goldline and made a purchase with them before, but they charge you a fee for small orders, charge you for shipping, and it took almost 3 months before I received my coins. I purchased 10 ounces of silver at $35/oz and after shipping and fees I barely broke even when I sold them at $49/oz. So now I'm hesitant to purchase online anymore.

That Said, I'm still going to send Sahara Coin a letter asking them to change their policy to retain my business. Do I think they'll care? Probably not, They don't make a lot of money of my twice monthly purchase of 20 Franklin halves.

I think writing them is important for the sake of open carry and I'm sure you will let us know what or if you get an answer.

APMEX takes plastic (they add a small surcharge), personal check (they hold it for 2 weeks), wire transfer (immediate shipping), or casheirs also shipping immediately. I always send a personal check as I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks. I find them to be very good price wise when compared to others I've looked at. I too buy circulated coins of $100.00 face value bags. The shipping has always been $25.00 insured. Their gold prices seem good as well. The reason I go on about them on OC.org is that they are a sponsor and doing biz with them, if possible, benefits us all.

TBG

Nevada carrier

That's the one on Pawn Stars, right?

So the inflated price of the coin itself is still worth it? I mean, if all you want is the raw silver, why not just buy silver? I would think that the fact that it's in the shape of a coin, even one in poor shape, would increase it's price prohibitively for your purposes.

Yes, that's the same pawn shop.

The price is inflated, but of all the silver bullion products available these "junk" silver coins have the lowest premium mark up. Keep in mind You never use these coins as currency. These coins are called junk only because they have no intrinsic value or rarity associated.

I am buying silver, Each coin is sold based on the current (spot) silver price and their silver content. You never use them for their face value (unless your kids take them to buy ice cream). You buy and hold them to preserve the value of your wealth. US half dollars minted in 1965 and prior contain a little more than .36 ounces of silver There is a small premium attached to the sale price when buying these coins but you also get a premium when you sell. these coins have the lowest premium for silver bullion. The reason for buying these old coins in average circulated condition is to avoid paying for intrinsic value that you will never get back in a total institutional failure of the world's fiat currencies.

When I buy silver, I tend to focus mostly on silver halves, but sometimes I buy silver quarters, nickels and dimes, and occasionally I do buy 1 oz Silver eagles. 40 silver quarters are worth the same amount as 20 silver halves. Today the Spot price for junk silver was just a hair over $20 x Face, so my roll of halves cost me just over $200 before tax. Now imagine this, lets postulate that tomorrow a generic Rx Antibiotic cost me $20 (or about 2 silver halves). Next week the value of the dollar collapses and the same drug now costs $200. Because of the devalued dollar the spot price of my coin will be about 10x what is was the week before ($200x Face or $100 per coin). What does the script cost me in silver after the dollar crashed? The same as it did before, 2 silver halves.

I will grant you that most people today have no idea what a silver half dollar's numismatic value is, but when the manure hits the rotating air circulator, it wont take long for them to figure out.