• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got my Glock 19 mu first day O.Cing have some questions

NewGeorgian

Hello eveyone im new to this state been down two years from NJ and purchased my first hand gun today went with the gen3 glock 19.

I went out today i opened carried and went to a few places around smithfield and clayton had no probs. But i carried an empty mag. Was to nervous to carry loaded in case i got stopped or something. Im still learning my right mabey you guys can give me some do's and donts. I live in smithfield but work in raleigh can i just oc in smithfield? Also is there a prefered dress code i normally wear dress panta and a shirt and tie being a big black guy with a gun on his hip may draw attention even tho side note ive experienced waaaay more rascism up north and virtually none on the south so far so yay dixie for that. but back on subject NJ has absolutley no rights for citizens to carry conceled or otherwise unless youre LEO. So any advice would be welcomed.
And i have to give a very big thanks to Mr. and Mrs.Wilder of Pawn and Gifts in Clayton they have been soooo helpful with guiding me on choosing a correct firearm and just great advice in general.
Thanx ladies and gents have a great new year.

Carry24/7

The first DON'T is don't ever carry an empty weapon. What's the point? If you have never shot a handgun or not proficient with one put in some range time before carrying it. IMO you're more of a danger if you can't hit what your aiming at. Study the laws and know them.

Dreamer

An empy Glock isn't even a good bludgeoning tool (unlike an empty Sig or Colt or Para--which are made of all-metal and at least have some heft to them...)

If you're going to OC, you need to AT LEAST carry with a loaded mag in the gun--if not a round "in the pipe". Some people advocate carrying "condition 3" (full mag in the gun, empty chamber) but generally, that is probably not a good idea unless you are REALLY proficient at carrying and operating a handgun "Israeli style"...

In my opinion, OCing an empty Glock is WORSE than OCing a toy gun. At least if some psychotic thug decided to jump you and steal a toy gun, they wouldn't get anything dangerous off your hip--with an empty Glock, not only would you get jumped and beat up, but now some thug has a REALLY nice, REAL gun from the deal.

Oh, and PLEASE invest in some high-quality self-defense ammo like HydraShoks or PDX-1s. Hollow-points are 100% legal in NC (unlike the state you came from--NJ--which apparently doesn't care if the the FMJ round you shoot at an attacker goes TOTALLY THROUGH HIM and hits the baby carriage behind him down the block...) Expandable ammo is actually a SAFETY FEATURE, making it MUCH less likely to have over=penetration or a "through-and-through" sot threaten an innocent bystander behind your target.

OCing loaded and with "one in the pipe" is 100% legal in NC (with certain restrictions). If you are going to carry, you need to FIRST gain proficiency with your particular firearm---GET THEE TO A RANGE, and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. You might even consider taking some formal training. It can be pricey, but IMO, quality self-defense training is truly an investment you cannot put a price tag on. A good instructor is worth EVERY PENNY.

Get trained. Get proficient. Get educated on the law. And then CARRY ON!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Open Carry!

Last edited:

chiefjason

First advice, if you have not already done it match that G19 with a good holster and a good belt. It makes a world of difference.

And everything Dreamer said.

Know where you can legally carry your gun. Those places do not change, they are legal throughout the state. And if the town of Cary's website is to be believed, they have even loosened their restriction for OC on city property. At least sidewalks and streets.

A good knowledgable local gun shop is a great thing. Help keep them in business.

spiderjohn

A good knowledgable local gun shop is a great thing. Help keep them in business.

Unfortunately those are hard to find. :cry: The ones in my area are not knowledgeable at all when it comes to open carry and the law. Especially the one that I used to get my CHP training.

Dreamer

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but what "restrictions" on chambered rounds? thanks.

The restrictions are on WHERE and under what circumstances you may OC, not how. I guess the wording I used was a little vague.

Places like establishments that serve alcohol, courthouses, and places that charge admission are prohibited, for OC AND CC, even if you have a permit...

2005futch

carry on my friend!!! i live in smithfield too, and never had a promblem when i oc. i dont think you will have any promblems, but if you do, please let me know.

importinvasion

Please please please carry loaded....your playing with your life otherwise.... carry on

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

bc.cruiser

The restrictions are on WHERE and under what circumstances you may OC, not how. I guess the wording I used was a little vague.

Places like establishments that serve alcohol, courthouses, and places that charge admission are prohibited, for OC AND CC, even if you have a permit...

Thanks, Dreamer. I was overthinking the post.