Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Driver charged with pointing gun at truck on I-94, IN & AZ CCL

  1. #1
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest

    Driver charged with pointing gun at truck on I-94, IN & AZ CCL

    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/136455033.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Vielmetti, MJS
    The complaint states that Manning had a concealed carry permits from Indiana and Arizona, either of which makes it legal for him to carry weapons in Wisconsin.

    While being booked at the jail, Manning -- who was still wearing a holster -- told other inmates that he was being tailgated by a semi, and that if the trucker hadn't backed off, "I would have put four rounds right in the engine block."
    "A cautionary note for legally armed citizens; who will be believed when another driver accuses road rage and you are found to, indeed, be armed? You set yourself up by displaying gun related bumperstickers.

    The first element of common-law self-defense is, "Be innocent of instigation!" Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth."
    Last edited by Herr Heckler Koch; 12-31-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: You can lead a blind horse to water but not make him read

  2. #2
    Regular Member Zeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Neenah
    Posts
    194
    Based upon only the reported info, this guy sounds like he's lucky not to be in jail. Anyone, even in the right, is IMO stupid to play games with a semi while driving a Kia. I give all big trucks the right of way all the time and never drive next to one for longer than necessary. That's just asking to be run over, either by accident or on purpose. I don't care if I'm right or not, I would rather concede that and be alive. Also telling the cops anything like that is idiotic. Now if the guy driving the truck was just being an ahole because he could, then that's obviously a different story but I still would have just pulled away and avoided the whole thing altogether. If your car is not fast enough to outrun a semi, then you may want to think about getting a better car and not another pistol.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    --Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Another example of the perennial discussion about whether slow-and-heavy or light-and-fast is the most effective!

    And a hint, for those without direct experience - do not talk with/to your fellow jail residents about what you are charged with, what you did or did not do, or what you said to the cop/victim/other fella just before you were offered the ride in the back seat. Save that for your attorney - they have less reason to lie or mis-state your words for their own benefit.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  4. #4
    Regular Member thieltech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Beaver Dam
    Posts
    92
    wow instead of pulling the gun , why not just pull over and let the semi go by .... just because you have a gun doesnt mean u need to use it in every situation .. self defense is running or getting out of harms way when ever possiable .



    ALSO im guessing none of his permits were valid in wisconsin .
    Last edited by thieltech; 12-31-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__ <<<<<<<<< I like this guys jeep .
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_) INNOvATIONS are what i leave behind for history

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,321
    Quote Originally Posted by thieltech View Post
    wow instead of pulling the gun , why not just pull over and let the semi go by .... just because you have a gun doesnt mean u need to use it in every situation .. self defense is running or getting out of harms way when ever possiable .



    ALSO im guessing none of his permits were valid in wisconsin .
    Both IN and AZ are valid in WI.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  6. #6
    Regular Member thieltech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Beaver Dam
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Both IN and AZ are valid in WI.
    i thought wisconsin didnt honnor out of state permits? did they change it ? or am i just miss informed?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__ <<<<<<<<< I like this guys jeep .
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_) INNOvATIONS are what i leave behind for history

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,321
    Quote Originally Posted by thieltech View Post
    i thought wisconsin didnt honnor out of state permits? did they change it ? or am i just miss informed?
    Misinformed.

    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf

    You are probably confusing how out of state residents cannot get a WI CCL.
    Last edited by protias; 12-31-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by thieltech View Post
    i thought wisconsin didnt honnor out of state permits? did they change it ? or am i just miss informed?
    Wisconsin doesn't honor out-of-state licenses/permits for Wisconsin residents.
    Read my post on the current list of accepted states:

    http://forum.opencarry.org./forums/s...=1#post1669647

    - - - - - - - -

    People commenting on the JSonline article, did not seem alarmed by the fact that this person from Indiana had a valid out-of-state Drivers License, which would allow that person to do more harm, while driving on the interstate, than just stupidly brandishing a firearm.

    To mention only one recent example, the Milwaukee mother who is charged with OWI, and driving on a suspended license, caused the death of one daughter and severe injury to the other, when she hit a parked semi-trailer at 2 AM. A much more serious and common incident than the "Kia driver with a gun".
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

  9. #9
    Regular Member oak1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Not a smart move.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    Having a firearm/HG/CC/OC pistol does not 'solve' problems, typically. If you have let your options dwindle to the point where you need to employ a firing solution, you probably have missed a host of opportunities to use other solutions.

    What road (rage) situations would be solved -only- by having/using a pistol? Car jackings, or kidnappings where you can't drive away or use your car as a defensive weapon, and that's about it.

    I realize I'm saying this from the safety of my computer room, so I'm open to being proved wrong.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

    Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Based upon only the reported info, this guy sounds like he's lucky not to be in jail. Anyone, even in the right, is IMO stupid to play games with a semi while driving a Kia. I give all big trucks the right of way all the time and never drive next to one for longer than necessary. That's just asking to be run over, either by accident or on purpose. I don't care if I'm right or not, I would rather concede that and be alive. Also telling the cops anything like that is idiotic. Now if the guy driving the truck was just being an ahole because he could, then that's obviously a different story but I still would have just pulled away and avoided the whole thing altogether. If your car is not fast enough to outrun a semi, then you may want to think about getting a better car and not another pistol.
    I was always thought the lug nut law applys the vehicle with the most lug nuts allways wins.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,029
    YOU CAN"T FIX STUPID! Forrest Gump

  13. #13
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    Do not talk to other prisoners about your case: Excellent advice

    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Another example of the perennial discussion about whether slow-and-heavy or light-and-fast is the most effective!

    And a hint, for those without direct experience - do not talk with/to your fellow jail residents about what you are charged with, what you did or did not do, or what you said to the cop/victim/other fella just before you were offered the ride in the back seat. Save that for your attorney - they have less reason to lie or mis-state your words for their own benefit.

    stay safe.
    Prisoners often know that they can get favors from the authorities for information on other prisoners. Do not be tempted to brag in order to scare them off. Do not talk about events. Assume everything you say is being recorded.

    We do not know everything in this case, but I would like to hear from more than one side before passing judgement.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •