• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Driver charged with pointing gun at truck on I-94, IN & AZ CCL

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/136455033.html
Vielmetti said:
The complaint states that Manning had a concealed carry permits from Indiana and Arizona, either of which makes it legal for him to carry weapons in Wisconsin.

While being booked at the jail, Manning -- who was still wearing a holster -- told other inmates that he was being tailgated by a semi, and that if the trucker hadn't backed off, "I would have put four rounds right in the engine block."
"A cautionary note for legally armed citizens; who will be believed when another driver accuses road rage and you are found to, indeed, be armed? You set yourself up by displaying gun related bumperstickers.

The first element of common-law self-defense is, "Be innocent of instigation!" Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth."

Last edited:

Zeus

Based upon only the reported info, this guy sounds like he's lucky not to be in jail. Anyone, even in the right, is IMO stupid to play games with a semi while driving a Kia. I give all big trucks the right of way all the time and never drive next to one for longer than necessary. That's just asking to be run over, either by accident or on purpose. I don't care if I'm right or not, I would rather concede that and be alive. Also telling the cops anything like that is idiotic. Now if the guy driving the truck was just being an ahole because he could, then that's obviously a different story but I still would have just pulled away and avoided the whole thing altogether. If your car is not fast enough to outrun a semi, then you may want to think about getting a better car and not another pistol.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another example of the perennial discussion about whether slow-and-heavy or light-and-fast is the most effective!

And a hint, for those without direct experience - do not talk with/to your fellow jail residents about what you are charged with, what you did or did not do, or what you said to the cop/victim/other fella just before you were offered the ride in the back seat. Save that for your attorney - they have less reason to lie or mis-state your words for their own benefit.

stay safe.

thieltech

wow instead of pulling the gun , why not just pull over and let the semi go by .... just because you have a gun doesnt mean u need to use it in every situation .. self defense is running or getting out of harms way when ever possiable . :shocker:

ALSO im guessing none of his permits were valid in wisconsin .

Last edited:

protias

wow instead of pulling the gun , why not just pull over and let the semi go by .... just because you have a gun doesnt mean u need to use it in every situation .. self defense is running or getting out of harms way when ever possiable . :shocker:

ALSO im guessing none of his permits were valid in wisconsin .

Both IN and AZ are valid in WI.

E6chevron

i thought wisconsin didnt honnor out of state permits? did they change it ? or am i just miss informed?

Wisconsin doesn't honor out-of-state licenses/permits for Wisconsin residents.
Read my post on the current list of accepted states:

http://forum.opencarry.org./forums/...-New-DOJ-FAQ&p=1669647&viewfull=1#post1669647

- - - - - - - -

People commenting on the JSonline article, did not seem alarmed by the fact that this person from Indiana had a valid out-of-state Drivers License, which would allow that person to do more harm, while driving on the interstate, than just stupidly brandishing a firearm.

To mention only one recent example, the Milwaukee mother who is charged with OWI, and driving on a suspended license, caused the death of one daughter and severe injury to the other, when she hit a parked semi-trailer at 2 AM. A much more serious and common incident than the "Kia driver with a gun".

Badger Johnson

Having a firearm/HG/CC/OC pistol does not 'solve' problems, typically. If you have let your options dwindle to the point where you need to employ a firing solution, you probably have missed a host of opportunities to use other solutions.

What road (rage) situations would be solved -only- by having/using a pistol? Car jackings, or kidnappings where you can't drive away or use your car as a defensive weapon, and that's about it.

I realize I'm saying this from the safety of my computer room, so I'm open to being proved wrong.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Based upon only the reported info, this guy sounds like he's lucky not to be in jail. Anyone, even in the right, is IMO stupid to play games with a semi while driving a Kia. I give all big trucks the right of way all the time and never drive next to one for longer than necessary. That's just asking to be run over, either by accident or on purpose. I don't care if I'm right or not, I would rather concede that and be alive. Also telling the cops anything like that is idiotic. Now if the guy driving the truck was just being an ahole because he could, then that's obviously a different story but I still would have just pulled away and avoided the whole thing altogether. If your car is not fast enough to outrun a semi, then you may want to think about getting a better car and not another pistol.

I was always thought the lug nut law applys the vehicle with the most lug nuts allways wins.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Do not talk to other prisoners about your case: Excellent advice

Another example of the perennial discussion about whether slow-and-heavy or light-and-fast is the most effective!

And a hint, for those without direct experience - do not talk with/to your fellow jail residents about what you are charged with, what you did or did not do, or what you said to the cop/victim/other fella just before you were offered the ride in the back seat. Save that for your attorney - they have less reason to lie or mis-state your words for their own benefit.

stay safe.

Prisoners often know that they can get favors from the authorities for information on other prisoners. Do not be tempted to brag in order to scare them off. Do not talk about events. Assume everything you say is being recorded.

We do not know everything in this case, but I would like to hear from more than one side before passing judgement.