• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two follow up gun-return tales from Milwaukee

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/135118673.html
Vielmetti said:
He said police asked if they could check his Glock to make sure it wasn't involved in the shooting, and he voluntarily turned it in for inspection, and never got it back. [ ... ]"I kind of lost my respect for (police)," Simmons said. "It will take a while to earn that back after what I went through."

thieltech

wow that judge is a dope . " telling people u should get rid of your guns " .. YEA OKAY JUDGE>>> THAT WAY WE HAVE NO WAY TO PROTECT ARE FAMILY WHEN SOME IDIOT BREAKS IN TO ARE HOME AND STARTS SHOOTING ARE FAMILY ... i thinkin he might be on drugs .

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
"Here you go officer, take a look at anything you want, I've got nothing to hide..."

I bet they never do that again.

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
As Long As There Is "Qualified Immunity" They Will Do Whatever They Want...

Qualified Immunity is used countless times to support an officers actions. There are many things wrong with police tactics that the courts uphold as legal over and over.

"As long as it isn't happening to "me" why do I care?" That seems to be the most common reason for these events continuing to happen in our society. The mass majority of people just don't care...it didn't happen to "them".

If history is followed then the people will revolt after the "people" are in rail cars heading to unknown destinations. By then it is usually a bit late.

The best I can suggest to all of us on this forum is to invest in at least one good video recorder (handheld) and keep it with you at all times. Not just for when you are open carrying but ALL THE TIME. When you need it, you will have it....turn it on and record.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualified_immunity
Wikipedia said:
Qualified immunity is a doctrine in U.S. federal law that arises in cases brought against state officials under 42 U.S.C Section 1983 and against federal officials under Bivens v. Six Unknown Named Agents, 403 U.S. 388 (1971).

Qualified immunity shields government officials from liability for the violation of an individual's federal constitutional rights. This grant of immunity is available to state or federal employees performing discretionary functions where their actions, even if later found to be unlawful, did not violate "clearly established law." The defense of qualified immunity was created by the U.S. Supreme Court, replacing a court's inquiry into a defendant's subjective state of mind with an inquiry into the objective reasonableness of the contested action. A government agent's liability in a federal civil rights lawsuit now no longer turns upon whether the defendant acted with "malice," but on whether a hypothetical reasonable person in the defendant's position would have known that his/her actions violated clearly established law.

As outlined by the Supreme Court in Harlow v. Fitzgerald, 457 U.S. 800 (1982), http://supreme.justia.com/us/457/800/case.html qualified immunity is designed to shield government officials from actions "insofar as their conduct does not violate clearly established statutory or constitutional rights of which a reasonable person would have known."

In 2001, the Supreme Court in Saucier v. Katz established a rigid order in which courts must decide the merits of a defendant's qualified immunity defense. First, the court determines whether the complaint states a constitutional violation. If so, the next sequential step is to determine whether the right at issue was clearly established at the time of the official's conduct. The Court subsequently overruled Saucier in Pearson v. Callahan, holding that the two-step procedure was no longer mandatory.
http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1033&context=mulr
REVISING WISCONSIN'S GOVERNMENT IMMUNITY DOCTRINE
[... ]
[FN]2. In Wisconsin, the concept of government immunity is "sometimes referred to as
,municipal' or 'governmental' immunity, or 'public officer' immunity, or even 'discretionary
act' immunity." Hoskins v. Dodge County, 2002 WI App 40, 13, 251 Wis. 2d 276, 642
N.W.2d 213.
Wisconsin Statutes CHAPTER 893 - LIMITATIONS OF COMMENCEMENT OF ACTIONS AND PROCEEDINGS AND PROCEDURE FOR CLAIMS AGAINST GOVERNMENTAL UNITS

893.80  Claims against governmental bodies or officers, agents or employees; notice of injury; limitation of damages and suits.
(3) Except as provided in this subsection, the amount recoverable by any person for any damages, injuries or death in any action founded on tort against any volunteer fire company organized under ch. 181 or 213, political corporation, governmental subdivision or agency thereof and against their officers, officials, agents or employees for acts done in their official capacity or in the course of their agency or employment, whether proceeded against jointly or severally, shall not exceed $50,000. The amount recoverable under this subsection shall not exceed $25,000 in any such action against a volunteer fire company organized under ch. 181 or 213 or its officers, officials, agents or employees. If a volunteer fire company organized under ch. 181 or 213 is part of a combined fire department, the $25,000 limit still applies to actions against the volunteer fire company or its officers, officials, agents or employees. No punitive damages may be allowed or recoverable in any such action under this subsection.

Last edited: