Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: TN Open Carry Report

Well, today was the first time I have been mistaken for a LEO while carrying. When I came out of work this evening, my battery was completely dead. I called my girlfriend to come help me jump start my Jeep, then headed to Walmart to buy a new battery (it was time anyway, mine was almost five years old). When I get to the check out, the guy ringing me up asks if the battery is for a Crown Vic, to which I reply in the negative. I tell him it's for a Jeep and there is a slight puzzled expression on his face. He then asks if I work for the KPD and I say nope, have a nice day. I walked out and he was still scratching his head

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    She then asked me if it was legal to carry it around like that and I said yes, the state doesn't describe any particular way to carry and that I find openly the most comfortable. She said she lives in Erwin and that that wouldn't go over so well over there. I laughed and commented that Erwin is a very different place. I didn't say it, but I accepted that challenge, so now I need to make it over to Erwin to OC
    Hmmmmm, sounds like she told you this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IRWIN TN OC 2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	8652

Well, I say

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IRWIN TN OC 1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	8653

Sorry, couldn't resist
    Last edited by Nascar24Glock; 06-20-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

You misspelled "Erwin"
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    You misspelled "Erwin"
    Oops, I guess I assumed it had the same spelling as Irwin Tools Co. Well, you know what they say when you assume
    Last edited by Nascar24Glock; 06-20-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nascar24Glock View Post
    Oops, I guess I assumed it had the same spelling as Irwin Tools Co. Well, you know what they say when you assume
    That is exactly way I show decided preference to the word "presume" - it get's the same mileage without smoking up the exhaust.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

OC'd to Old Fashioned Upholstery on Central, Holston Hills Country Club, and Panera Bread on North Peters Rd on Tuesday. OC'd to Walmart on Walker Springs today. No issues to report.

Yesterday OCed to Amigo's on People's St. I sat strong side out at our booth and I may have seen someone across the dining room checking it out, but I couldn't say for sure. Other than that, nothing.

Today I OCed to my parents' house where I finally got to shoot my recently acquired Mosin-Nagant 91/30. When I showed it to my dad he got that look that told me he wanted to shoot it too, so that's where I went. That was SO MUCH FUN. The recoil wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd been told, and shooting at 2 liters filled with water at about 50 yards it seemed accurate enough. 10 rounds of steel cored bullets got that barrel BLAZING hot though.

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

No OC for me for a couple days. I'm disarmed while I await the arrival of my daughter at Stonescrest hospital.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk 2

That's the college senior meme, not the "challenge accepted" meme.

Recently I've OCed to Wal-Mart, Which Which, Petsmart and Plaza Liquor with no issue.

I talked to my brother who's started open carrying and he's said he gets people striking up conversation all the time. I don't know what I'm doing wrong (or right lol).

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

OC'd at the gas station on the way into work nothing to report. Out to lunch at Burger King in Piney Flats, it started a great conversation with a couple of Korean War Vets,they were having a coffee on the way to the VA in Johnson City. That made an OK lunch great, will be meeting them again Friday for lunch.

I open carried today and had a rather unusual occurrence, other than being completely ignored, I had some concealed carry only ****** attempt to lecture me on the EVILS of open carry. I was at Cafe Coco on Louise Ave in Nashville (I've OC'd there before). He claimed that in the last month 4 people who worked as armed security guards in the Nashville area (out of uniform) were targeted for assault because of open carry. The claim came with a "Check Drudge."

Needless to say, I checked Drudge and every other internet news source and could find absolutely nothing.

Other than the one person, I had fun meeting some new people at Cafe Coco (it was a meeting of a few Nashville pagans) who could have cared less that I had a gun on my hip.

Quote Originally Posted by WCrawford View Post
    I open carried today and had a rather unusual occurrence, other than being completely ignored, I had some concealed carry only ****** attempt to lecture me on the EVILS of open carry. I was at Cafe Coco on Louise Ave in Nashville (I've OC'd there before). He claimed that in the last month 4 people who worked as armed security guards in the Nashville area (out of uniform) were targeted for assault because of open carry. The claim came with a "Check Drudge."

Needless to say, I checked Drudge and every other internet news source and could find absolutely nothing.

Other than the one person, I had fun meeting some new people at Cafe Coco (it was a meeting of a few Nashville pagans) who could have cared less that I had a gun on my hip.
    Antis have been known lie w/o compunction - think it gives them a feeling of moral superiority.

Yata hey

Quote Originally Posted by WCrawford View Post

$10 says it was a TGO poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Antis have been known lie w/o compunction - think it gives them a feeling of moral superiority.
    This was worse than an anti... He was a concealed only ******!

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05 View Post
    $10 says it was a TGO poster.

I won't take that bet.

OC today.

I OCed to Walmart in springfield, HOC fuel in springfield, and then to McDonalds, also in springfield, No real incidents to report, besides one of the third shift stockers being a ***** about me asking for someone working in Hunting, Told me 'We dont sell f***ing bullets after ten." Even though I was very specific about the multi tool in the glass case being my objective, I think it was because of the Firestar M43 I had displayed rather prominently on my left side, or he could have just been a d**k, either way.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-16-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RikuNoganashi View Post
    I OCed to Walmart in springfield, HOC fuel in springfield, and then to McDonalds, also in springfield, No real incidents to report, besides one of the third shift stockers being a ***** about me asking for someone working in Hunting, Told me 'We dont sell f***ing bullets after ten." Even though I was very specific about the multi tool in the glass case being my objective, I think it was because of the Firestar M43 I had displayed rather prominently on my left side, or he could have just been a d**k, either way.
    I would have had to report that behavior/language immediately to the store manager and asked the question politely as to whether that restriction was true. BTW - I have purchased ammo after midnight in Wal-Mart locally.

Yata hey

I actually did go look for a manager, and did report it, He told me it was a state law that they couldnt sell ammo or guns, or knives, after ten pm, which I know is wrong because I have bought knives there at two and three am. But here in springfield, No one actually wants to do any work, and walking all the way back to the hunting section would have been work I suppose... Left without the multi tool, and left the seventy five dollars worth of groceries sitting in the cart too.

Quote Originally Posted by RikuNoganashi View Post
    I actually did go look for a manager, and did report it, He told me it was a state law that they couldnt sell ammo or guns, or knives, after ten pm, which I know is wrong because I have bought knives there at two and three am. But here in springfield, No one actually wants to do any work, and walking all the way back to the hunting section would have been work I suppose... Left without the multi tool, and left the seventy five dollars worth of groceries sitting in the cart too.
    I would be inclined to go the next step up the ladder to the regional manager w/copy to corporate headquarters.

I will not tolerate being cursed at by store employees either - I'd make sure that all involved understood that. Of course I would have had a recording of both the cursing employee and the store manager's remarks.

Yata hey

Lately I've carried a couple times into Cootie Brown's and once into Chili's in north Johnson City. No problems both times at Cootie Brown's. I made an oopsie at Chili's though. I've been keeping my voice recorder in the key pocket of my jeans (or whatever that tiny pocket is called on the right). As I was walking out the door someone from inside stopped me and handed it to me-apparently it had fallen out of my pocket into the seat! He made no mention of my gun or what he was handing to me-I'm not even sure if he knew what it was. Anyway, I thanked him, we told each other to have a good day, and we parted ways.

edit: FYI, the steak sandwich at Cootie Brown's is delicious but if ask for medium rare you get it medium and it needs A-1.
    Last edited by SovereignAxe; 07-17-2012 at 07:36 PM.

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Off to Wally world today, I noticed a gentleman with an empty holster???

Later he caught up with me and asked if anyone there had ever said anything to me about it. I told him I had not had any problems to point, we had a short discussion and were on our separate ways.

Stopped at the Scotchman on the way home (beer for marinade) one of my regular stops.

The assistant store manager inquired about the laws, he and his wife who do own and shoot recreationally are looking in to carrying in light of many of the recent events including several recent local armed robberies.

A few other customers got involved in the conversation, many questions answered and a few misnomers put to rest. All in all a good outing in my book.

The last few days I've OCed to Ingle's in Elizabethton, the Feed n Seed in Roan Mountain (looking for a galvanized tub), someone's house in Kingsport I found on Craigslist that I bought a set of galvanized tubs from, and the classic car Cruise-In in downtown Elizabethton. Not a word said at any location.

I also wanted to mention I made it over to Cracker Barrel in Boone's Creek. I was concealed because of the large shirt I was wearing (I don't like large shirts draped over the holster), but my brother open carried and didn't have any problems at all, despite some OCer's problems in the past. Although, with as crowded and busy as it was, I'm not sure anyone even noticed.

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Wal-Mart managment encounter good or bad depends on your view

Well had an encounter at Wal-Mart this evening (Century drive Bristol TN location). Me the misses and the kids went to do the big monthly shopping trip and grab some more school supplies, we had been there about two hours and were almost done shopping when I was approached by store management. I see them come around the corner, we about ¾ of the way down the aisle. I went about my business as I was not aware they were there for me.

“Sir, Sir” I hear and turn to address the voice. The lady manager approached and the gentleman that had come with her stayed about 25’ back looking like his interest was elsewhere.

“Yes” I replied, she was very careful in choosing her words opening with “I know you have a constitutional right to carry a gun that is a real gun correct Sir?”

Me “Yes of course it is mam.”

Her we have had a customer voice their concern and I am only approaching you to do my due diligence, I grew up around guns and have several in my home and it does not bother me. I do wish to clarify that you are permitted to carry that here in Tennessee.

I let her know that I was, by this time my misses who was at the corner of the aisle is right behind me and not too happy. As the conversation progresses and the manager keep reiterating the fact that a customer was concerned and not her wife steps in and said ”So what exactly are you asking or wanting?” The manager re stated that she fully appreciated ones right to bear arms, by this time the young gentleman that was keeping his distance was upon us and had several questions. We covered the fact that in light of recent events this is in the public eye more so than normal. He was quite obviously not as well versed in the law as his counterpart and I explained some of it to him. I let them know that one of the reasons I patronize Wal-Mart is because of corporates stand to follow state law regarding our second amendment rights.

I preceded to hand the manager a few of the cards I have made up and my misses again asks ”So what exactly are you asking or wanting?” The manager replied that she only wanted to make sure everything was on the level we shook hands and took to our separate ways.

My wife was much more bent out of shape than I was; she was asking me if we should just leave the three shopping carts full of groceries and school supplies grab the kids and take our business elsewhere. Did I mention I love my wife even if she did steel my Browning?

Any way an encounter good or bad is up for grabs I guess, I for one did not see it as bad, a hassle maybe.

The wife was willing to take the cash we dropped, and all business elsewhere, it was her first encounter with me while OC’ing.

Thanks for reading
    Pat
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 08-05-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Formating

Since my last post, IIRC, I've carried into Kroger on State of Franklin Rd, Arby's in Elizabethton, Barberito's, and Wal-Mart at least twice, and a friend of a friend's house for a poker game.

I got my first compliment on OCing by someone in Arby's. He even identified my Walther correctly, which I'm pretty sure was also a first. At that poker game a had a guy ask if it was a .22. I corrected that quickly lol

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast