• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Open Carry Report

pfries

OC'd at the gas station on the way into work nothing to report. Out to lunch at Burger King in Piney Flats, it started a great conversation with a couple of Korean War Vets,they were having a coffee on the way to the VA in Johnson City. That made an OK lunch great, will be meeting them again Friday for lunch.

WCrawford

I open carried today and had a rather unusual occurrence, other than being completely ignored, I had some concealed carry only douche attempt to lecture me on the EVILS of open carry. I was at Cafe Coco on Louise Ave in Nashville (I've OC'd there before). He claimed that in the last month 4 people who worked as armed security guards in the Nashville area (out of uniform) were targeted for assault because of open carry. The claim came with a "Check Drudge."

Needless to say, I checked Drudge and every other internet news source and could find absolutely nothing.

Other than the one person, I had fun meeting some new people at Cafe Coco (it was a meeting of a few Nashville pagans) who could have cared less that I had a gun on my hip.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I open carried today and had a rather unusual occurrence, other than being completely ignored, I had some concealed carry only douche attempt to lecture me on the EVILS of open carry. I was at Cafe Coco on Louise Ave in Nashville (I've OC'd there before). He claimed that in the last month 4 people who worked as armed security guards in the Nashville area (out of uniform) were targeted for assault because of open carry. The claim came with a "Check Drudge."

Needless to say, I checked Drudge and every other internet news source and could find absolutely nothing.

Other than the one person, I had fun meeting some new people at Cafe Coco (it was a meeting of a few Nashville pagans) who could have cared less that I had a gun on my hip.

Antis have been known lie w/o compunction - think it gives them a feeling of moral superiority.

FTG-05

$10 says it was a TGO poster.

:D

RikuNoganashi

OC today.

I OCed to Walmart in springfield, HOC fuel in springfield, and then to McDonalds, also in springfield, No real incidents to report, besides one of the third shift stockers being a ***** about me asking for someone working in Hunting, Told me 'We dont sell f***ing bullets after ten." Even though I was very specific about the multi tool in the glass case being my objective, I think it was because of the Firestar M43 I had displayed rather prominently on my left side, or he could have just been a d**k, either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I OCed to Walmart in springfield, HOC fuel in springfield, and then to McDonalds, also in springfield, No real incidents to report, besides one of the third shift stockers being a ***** about me asking for someone working in Hunting, Told me 'We dont sell f***ing bullets after ten." Even though I was very specific about the multi tool in the glass case being my objective, I think it was because of the Firestar M43 I had displayed rather prominently on my left side, or he could have just been a d**k, either way.

I would have had to report that behavior/language immediately to the store manager and asked the question politely as to whether that restriction was true. BTW - I have purchased ammo after midnight in Wal-Mart locally.

RikuNoganashi

I actually did go look for a manager, and did report it, He told me it was a state law that they couldnt sell ammo or guns, or knives, after ten pm, which I know is wrong because I have bought knives there at two and three am. But here in springfield, No one actually wants to do any work, and walking all the way back to the hunting section would have been work I suppose... Left without the multi tool, and left the seventy five dollars worth of groceries sitting in the cart too.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I actually did go look for a manager, and did report it, He told me it was a state law that they couldnt sell ammo or guns, or knives, after ten pm, which I know is wrong because I have bought knives there at two and three am. But here in springfield, No one actually wants to do any work, and walking all the way back to the hunting section would have been work I suppose... Left without the multi tool, and left the seventy five dollars worth of groceries sitting in the cart too.

I would be inclined to go the next step up the ladder to the regional manager w/copy to corporate headquarters.

I will not tolerate being cursed at by store employees either - I'd make sure that all involved understood that. Of course I would have had a recording of both the cursing employee and the store manager's remarks.

SovereignAxe

Lately I've carried a couple times into Cootie Brown's and once into Chili's in north Johnson City. No problems both times at Cootie Brown's. I made an oopsie at Chili's though. I've been keeping my voice recorder in the key pocket of my jeans (or whatever that tiny pocket is called on the right). As I was walking out the door someone from inside stopped me and handed it to me-apparently it had fallen out of my pocket into the seat! He made no mention of my gun or what he was handing to me-I'm not even sure if he knew what it was. Anyway, I thanked him, we told each other to have a good day, and we parted ways.

edit: FYI, the steak sandwich at Cootie Brown's is delicious but if ask for medium rare you get it medium and it needs A-1.

Last edited:

pfries

Off to Wally world today, I noticed a gentleman with an empty holster???

Later he caught up with me and asked if anyone there had ever said anything to me about it. I told him I had not had any problems to point, we had a short discussion and were on our separate ways.

Stopped at the Scotchman on the way home (beer for marinade) one of my regular stops.

The assistant store manager inquired about the laws, he and his wife who do own and shoot recreationally are looking in to carrying in light of many of the recent events including several recent local armed robberies.

A few other customers got involved in the conversation, many questions answered and a few misnomers put to rest. All in all a good outing in my book.

SovereignAxe

The last few days I've OCed to Ingle's in Elizabethton, the Feed n Seed in Roan Mountain (looking for a galvanized tub), someone's house in Kingsport I found on Craigslist that I bought a set of galvanized tubs from, and the classic car Cruise-In in downtown Elizabethton. Not a word said at any location.

I also wanted to mention I made it over to Cracker Barrel in Boone's Creek. I was concealed because of the large shirt I was wearing (I don't like large shirts draped over the holster), but my brother open carried and didn't have any problems at all, despite some OCer's problems in the past. Although, with as crowded and busy as it was, I'm not sure anyone even noticed.

pfries

Wal-Mart managment encounter good or bad depends on your view

Well had an encounter at Wal-Mart this evening (Century drive Bristol TN location). Me the misses and the kids went to do the big monthly shopping trip and grab some more school supplies, we had been there about two hours and were almost done shopping when I was approached by store management. I see them come around the corner, we about ¾ of the way down the aisle. I went about my business as I was not aware they were there for me.

“Sir, Sir” I hear and turn to address the voice. The lady manager approached and the gentleman that had come with her stayed about 25’ back looking like his interest was elsewhere.

“Yes” I replied, she was very careful in choosing her words opening with “I know you have a constitutional right to carry a gun that is a real gun correct Sir?”

Me “Yes of course it is mam.”

Her we have had a customer voice their concern and I am only approaching you to do my due diligence, I grew up around guns and have several in my home and it does not bother me. I do wish to clarify that you are permitted to carry that here in Tennessee.

I let her know that I was, by this time my misses who was at the corner of the aisle is right behind me and not too happy. As the conversation progresses and the manager keep reiterating the fact that a customer was concerned and not her wife steps in and said ”So what exactly are you asking or wanting?” The manager re stated that she fully appreciated ones right to bear arms, by this time the young gentleman that was keeping his distance was upon us and had several questions. We covered the fact that in light of recent events this is in the public eye more so than normal. He was quite obviously not as well versed in the law as his counterpart and I explained some of it to him. I let them know that one of the reasons I patronize Wal-Mart is because of corporates stand to follow state law regarding our second amendment rights.

I preceded to hand the manager a few of the cards I have made up and my misses again asks ”So what exactly are you asking or wanting?” The manager replied that she only wanted to make sure everything was on the level we shook hands and took to our separate ways.

My wife was much more bent out of shape than I was; she was asking me if we should just leave the three shopping carts full of groceries and school supplies grab the kids and take our business elsewhere. Did I mention I love my wife even if she did steel my Browning?

Any way an encounter good or bad is up for grabs I guess, I for one did not see it as bad, a hassle maybe.

The wife was willing to take the cash we dropped, and all business elsewhere, it was her first encounter with me while OC’ing.

Thanks for reading
Pat

Last edited by a moderator:

SovereignAxe

Since my last post, IIRC, I've carried into Kroger on State of Franklin Rd, Arby's in Elizabethton, Barberito's, and Wal-Mart at least twice, and a friend of a friend's house for a poker game.

I got my first compliment on OCing by someone in Arby's. He even identified my Walther correctly, which I'm pretty sure was also a first. At that poker game a had a guy ask if it was a .22. I corrected that quickly lol

Jeff T

I OCed all over Mt. Juliet in the following places with no issues:
  • Men's Warehouse
  • Belk
  • Best Buy
  • TJ Maxx
  • Red Lobster
  • Logans
  • Red Robin
  • Pet Smart

The only place that I had a problem was Books-A-Million but it wasn't with the staff it was with some of the customers. As I was walking in, they have a patio by the doors that people can sit and read or enjoy food from the cafe. I could hear one guy say (gay voice) "hhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuu, he has a gun". I just ignored it and went about my business of looking for a new book to read. I found one and sat down inside to check it out. While I was reading "American Sniper" by Chris Kyle, they came in from the patio. First the girl walked in and didn't even look at me. The two gay guy's then came in but one at a time. The first one looked and me and said "hello" with a very nervous voice and I said "Oh, hello buddy" and went back to reading. The last guy came in the door and stopped and said "Just so you know, we are only leaving because of you. You scared my frat brother with your gun." I said "Oh, I'm sorry about that." As he walked away he then said "It's ok, no worries."

This place isn't posted and everyone else didn't seem to mind or even notice my gun. I would have tried to help them understand that I'm not here to hurt anyone but to protect my self and others from harm. But I didn't think they would want to even attempt to chat about it.

Good news, is that I bought the book and it's really great.

SovereignAxe

In the few couple of days I've carried to:

One 12 Downtown for half-priced sushi Wednesday (VERY busy, at least one person noticed-nothing was said to me)
Auto Zone in Elizabethton
Lowe's hardware in Elizabethton
Ingle's in Boone's Creek
Jason's Deli in Johnson City
Target in Johnson City

So far the biggest issue I've been having with open carry has been remembering to turn off my voice recorder when I get home. More than a couple time's I've left it running overnight, only to find that I've just about killed my batteries the next day. It's good to know a pair of AAAs will last all night and then some, though.

Nightmarehour

Went to Starbucks (for the first time ever) yesterday. Didn't OC because it was too cold (jacket was covering). Paid with $6 in $2 bills, and the guy said I was the first person to do so (at about 530pm), which was a little disappointing.

Today was a very nice day and didn't wear my jacket at all. OCed today to Krispy Kreme (my pastry and coffee joint of choice-I don't drink coffee, but their hot chocolate is DELICIOUS), Cook Out, and the State of Franklin road Shell station in front of ETSU. Not a word was spoken at any place, but I thought I was going to at Cook Out...

At Cook Out for whatever reason their charge card readers are notoriously slow, and today was no different. It timed out once and then rejected my card the second time. I gave up and decided to use cash. My total was $4.81 and I only had $4 in cash on me. So I went out to my car to get the change, came back, and paid with exact change, including my very last $2 bill. So after all this, I take my food (which you normally have to wait for. It was brought out before I could finish paying), and go to fill my drink. It's at this point that I hear behind me, "SIR!?"

I'm thinking uh oh, what now? Today I was wearing a grey long sleeve shirt and khakis, with my full size black P99 in a black Serpa. So it doesn't exactly blend in with my clothing, and at this point, between going to my car, coming back, and going to get my drink, they've seen all sides of me at least twice. So there's no way they haven't noticed. I go back to the cashier and she just wanted to make sure I got the right food. Normally they have to call out the order number when it's read, but I just took mine when it came, so she didn't have to.

Nobody cares-at least not enough to make a fuss, and that's the way it should be.

I live in Bristol TN, are the law enforcement bad about OC? in the Tri Citites

SovereignAxe

I haven't had an LEO encounter while OCing yet. The closest I've come is walking by a couple of police officers in downtown Elizabethton, but I don't think either of them paid any attention to me.

But AFAIK, most of the police around here know the gun laws. They haven't changed in a really long time, and I'm sure the police are all pretty familiar that TN doesn't specify OC or CC in them.

Carry on, but I strongly advise you to carry a voice recorder anywhere you go-even an OC friendly place.

pfries

Most Law enforcement officers in Bristol, Bluff City, Piney Flats and the respective counties are up to speed on the laws;
I have had a few encounters with them but none that would qualify as negative.

I did have to guide one into doing a little research on AG opinion 05-154,
a Bristol Officer but the encounter was overall pleasant enough. I do not expect that all officers will be thoroughly versed in the laws.
They are most familiar with the codes they deal with daily.

On a side note went down to Webb’s Store (now Price’s Store) for Breakfast with my youngest son this morning and 2 other OC’ers passed through while we were there,
it was nice to see.
Pat

Last edited: