• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Open Carry Report

FTG-05

OC'd to Kroger and Staples today.

Well then, since you didn't get your gun taken away or you didn't get shot first, the only thing left is that you must be an attention whore.

According to TGO anyway.

:lol:

Q-Tip

Saw somebody OCing a Glock 26 or 27 on Music Row in Nashville today. He was doing some grounds work at a business there. Was it any of y'all by chance?

Nascar24Glock

That sounds like the Applebee's on North Roan Street in front of the Mall. Their entrance has a small foyer just past the doors. On the left wall of this foyer (buried in with a bunch of other signs and miscellaneous items, of course) is a sign with just the words: "NOTICE: NO GUNS, KNIVES, OR WEAPONS ALLOWED." It doesn't have the gunbuster symbol and it doesn't have the "substantially similar" language of the statute that would make it a "posted" place where carrying past the entrance could result in automatic arrest. Therefore, carrying there would not technically be illegal until they ask you to leave...

Well folks, I have some good news about this one. I went to this Applebee's this afternoon and noticed that the above listed sign is GONE! I could even spot the old screw holes in the wall where it had been :banana:! Of course, this place has two sets of entrance doors, right and left, at a 90 degree angle to each other. I checked the left doors but not the right doors (wasn't carrying today). Check the right doors before carrying in there.

HvyMtl

I OC'ed at the Wal-Mart in Johnson City today (for that matter, first time I've ever OC'ed). Like you said, it was a completely normal shopping experience. As far as I could tell, no one was giving me the "stink eye" or anything else. Like the other guy said, either: (A) OC is not as big a deal around here as people make it out to be, or (B) people's situational awareness sucks.
Its both (A) and (B), with a little of (C) He must be law enforcement...

SovereignAxe

Well folks, I have some good news about this one. I went to this Applebee's this afternoon and noticed that the above listed sign is GONE! I could even spot the old screw holes in the wall where it had been :banana:! Of course, this place has two sets of entrance doors, right and left, at a 90 degree angle to each other. I checked the left doors but not the right doors (wasn't carrying today). Check the right doors before carrying in there.

That's great news! My sister waits tables at that Applebee's and it's good to know that I wont have to disarm when I go see her.

Bandityo

Carried in Chattanooga...apprently im the only one lol.... At Burns to smoke a cigar...manager didnt say anything

OngoingFreedom

This week: Kroger, Corporate Flight Management at the Smyrna airport, Brass Pro, 109 Wines & Liquors, where the gentleman behind me remarked he had a Glock & holster just like that but that he had painted his Serpa black (didn't like the dark gray).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Tapatalk

SovereignAxe

Having made this thread has made me realize two things: one, I don't get out enough. and two, I must wear a jacket a lot more than you guys. because I OCed at Wal-Mart literally for the first time since I last posted. Even when I would otherwise be OCing, I've had my jacket on.

But what was special about this last OC trip was that it was my first time with my fiancee. She's still a little uneasy about the idea, so I've always CCed every time I've been out with her.

Yesterday I went to the range with her and my grandfather. OCed my Walther the whole time (I forgot to buy/bring ammo, so I didn't shoot it. I mainly went to let her get some range time with the Ruger MkI and to try out a S&W .38 snubnose my grandfather has). Afterwards we went to the Elizabethton Wal-Mart to pick up a few things and we split up so I could check out of a few of my own on things (including ammo, which I should have done BEFORE we drove up the mountain, but I digress).

So anyway, I'm pretty sure she didn't notice me OCing between us getting out of the car, walking in together, going to the bathroom and meeting back up together at the magazine rack, and up to the point we split up around the toy section. It was until we met back up in crafts that I spotted the EXACT moment she noticed. She was explaining something to me and for some reason I raised my arm to either pick something up or scratch something and she looked down at it and without missing a beat replaced some totally inoccuous word like "cake" or "animal" with "gun" and just kept right on talking.

She didn't make a big deal out of it and really just chose to act like she was ignoring it. So I guess that's progress lol

As for everyone else in the store-didn't even notice a look. Not sure if anyone even noticed. People at Wal-Mart are incredibly inattentive-especially when it's busy.

SovereignAxe

Today I open carried to Cook Out and came closest to an actual encounter so far. As soon as the cashier said hello to me her eyes went straight for the Walther and didn't stop glancing at it until after she handed me my receipt. It was pretty comical actually. After I ordered she was fumbling so badly with the entry that she had to re-ask what I wanted for an entree and my sides.

She never said anything about it, but I could tell it tripped her up.

The Airframer

Forgive me if my question was answered already in a previous post, I'm skimming through at work. Here it is: I have a Virginia concealed handgun permit and TN recognizes VA's permits. Does this mean that I can only legally carry concealed in TN? I'd rather OC because its comfortable and the best crime deterrent.

SovereignAxe

Forgive me if my question was answered already in a previous post, I'm skimming through at work. Here it is: I have a Virginia concealed handgun permit and TN recognizes VA's permits. Does this mean that I can only legally carry concealed in TN? I'd rather OC because its comfortable and the best crime deterrent.

When you're visiting another state you have to abide by the laws of that state-not your own. TN law doesn't define the manner in which you can carry-concealed or otherwise-you just have to have your permit on your person while carrying, and present it to any LEO that asks to see it (an affront to the 4th amendment, I know). So carry in whatever manner you wish.

The Airframer

When you're visiting another state you have to abide by the laws of that state-not your own. TN law doesn't define the manner in which you can carry-concealed or otherwise-you just have to have your permit on your person while carrying, and present it to any LEO that asks to see it (an affront to the 4th amendment, I know). So carry in whatever manner you wish.

I appreciate the gouge! May visit Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg sometime this summer, intend to OC anywhere not posted:banana:

Nascar24Glock

It's a little bit off-topic; but, did anybody go to the NASCAR race at Bristol Motor Speedway today? I was on the frontstrech, second row, about 30 feet from the entrance to turn one.

Also, a little bit more on topic, is it illegal to carry a handgun at Bristol Motor Speedway (directly or indirectly)? I know they have signs posted that say "no firearms or other weapons allowed." But, I don't see any signs with a gunbuster or "substantially similar language."

Not that I would carry there. Just wondering.

Oh Shoot

It's a little bit off-topic; but, did anybody go to the NASCAR race at Bristol Motor Speedway today? I was on the frontstrech, second row, about 30 feet from the entrance to turn one.

Also, a little bit more on topic, is it illegal to carry a handgun at Bristol Motor Speedway (directly or indirectly)? I know they have signs posted that say "no firearms or other weapons allowed." But, I don't see any signs with a gunbuster or "substantially similar language."....

Technical legality of sign verbiage has not really been tested by case law. Nobody I know can really find where anyone has been convicted of carrying past a sign period yet, except for one in a park in middle TN (where I think he actually fired the friggin gun) though it may have happened.

Our seemingly anti-gun leaning AG, however, has opined that you could be prosecuted for carrying in a park, even if the park didn't post at all, so who knows. Parks, btw, by statute must have some exact wording and even specify a minimum size.

- OS

SovereignAxe

Yesterday I went out to open up a new checking account with a credit union. I'm tired of Suntrust, who seem to just follow BoA's lead when it comes to making up new fees. I had to downgrade my account a few weeks ago to keep from getting a $17 service fee just to keep my account open. So I had decided to go with Eastman Credit Union because I'd heard so many good things about them, but I get over there, walk up to the door and see it: the gun buster sign. I was more than a little annoyed.

Defeated, I polled a few of my friends for more suggestions and, in addition to ECU, I got Northeast Community Credit Union. I didn't have time today, but I did go by the building and no gunbuster sign! I'll be going tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

Today I also went by Blue Circle in Elizabethton for a sandwhich. I think one person noticed but nobody said anything.

Last edited:

Nascar24Glock

Yesterday I went out to open up a new checking account with a credit union. I'm tired of Suntrust, who seem to just follow BoA's lead when it comes to making up new fees. I had to downgrade my account a few weeks ago to keep from getting a $17 service fee just to keep my account open. So I had decided to go with Eastman Credit Union because I'd heard so many good things about them, but I get over there, walk up to the door and see it: the gun buster sign. I was more than a little annoyed.

Defeated, I polled a few of my friends for more suggestions and, in addition to ECU, I got Northeast Community Credit Union. I didn't have time today, but I did go by the building and no gunbuster sign! I'll be going tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

Today I also went by Blue Circle in Elizabethton for a sandwhich. I think one person noticed but nobody said anything.

Yes, Eastman Credit Union is very good (at least, as far as the banking aspect is concerned). But, that is the one annoyance I have against them :banghead:.

SovereignAxe

Opened a checking and a savings at NCCU and nobody mentioned the Walther. I think we have a winner! :banana:

Also went to:

Food City in Boone's Creek
Michael's
Wal-Mart in North JC
Jason's Deli
Walgreen's on North Roan St.
Crazy Tomato (OCed in, but ended up ordering a beer so I took it back out to the car)

Nothing happened but my fiancee did say that someone at Food City had a really worried looking stare going on when I walked in. I didn't notice and she didn't tell me until we left lol.

ppardue1

Yesterday, a friend and I carried into the Outback Steakhouse on North Peters Rd. in Knoxville. From what I gather this location had been previously posted but has since removed the posting. I expected that we would probably meet resistance; however all went well except for lousy service from a new waiter. :mad:

OngoingFreedom

Yesterday in Gallatin: Kroger, Starbucks. In Hendersonville: Roxanna's to try out the rental tux, Long John Silver's, No issues.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Tapatalk