• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Open Carry Report

Ken56

I honestly don't understand why this thread has so little interest and activity. As for Taco Bell, oh well, I never could stomach their "food" as they call it. Here in my part of the state I have not noticed many gun buster signs on businesses and I carry OC and CC in this weather. Coat on.....CC.....coat off.....OC. I don't make any extra efforts to hide my pistol. We need legislation introduced to repeal the signs have weight of law in the state thing and carry by permit only thing. I believe they are infringements on the 2A. The issue of a property owner posting a gun buster sign is fine, I don't have to shop there. The issue of me walking past said sign and thus breaking the law is a problem that needs corrected. With Haslem having been reelected I don't have any hope that will be tackled any time soon anyway.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Anyway, I did some googling after I got home to see if anyone has had negative experiences lately, and what I've found is that Taco Bell corporate policy states that carry is prohibited on their property except for LEOs.
Cite please.

I have never had the first problem with OC at any Taco Bell and none had a gun buster sign.

SovereignAxe

I would have thought the picture would be enough citation, but... http://www.2acheck.com/the-boycott-list/

It's not on the list, but a contributor commented in October that he'd spoken with a "Donna from, Taco Bell Corp Headquarters @ 417-781-7800. She called me after I e-mailed her do to Taco Bell in my town supporting the 2nd amendment. She was very respectful but said their corp. policy does not allow firearms unless you are law enforcement."

ctrl+f "taco bell" and it's the one at the bottom of the page.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I would have thought the picture would be enough citation, but... http://www.2acheck.com/the-boycott-list/

It's not on the list, but a contributor commented in October that he'd spoken with a "Donna from, Taco Bell Corp Headquarters @ 417-781-7800. She called me after I e-mailed her do to Taco Bell in my town supporting the 2nd amendment. She was very respectful but said their corp. policy does not allow firearms unless you are law enforcement."

ctrl+f "taco bell" and it's the one at the bottom of the page.
Anyone can put up a sign - does not make it corporate policy though..........that plus your link above does not list Taco Bell.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Anyone can put up a sign - does not make it corporate policy though..........that plus your link above does not list Taco Bell.

From your link:
"I talked with Donna from, Taco Bell Corp Headquarters @ 417-781-7800. She called me after I e-mailed her do to Taco Bell in my town supporting the 2nd amendment. She was very respectful but said their corp. policy does not allow firearms unless you are law enforcement. Taco Bell with Kentucky Fried Chicken is owned by a different corp. and they did allow me, without incident to open carry in their story(sic)."

Actually Taco Bell, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Pizza Hut are owned by the same corporation = Yums! Brands. Greg Creed is the Chief Executive Officer
http://www.yum.com/brands/

Just as anyone can post a sign, anyone can make a claim, but that does not make it corporate policy. Also using such as a cite is less than reliable. To that regard, I am pursuing a definitive response as to what is officially Yums! Brands position on this. Will let you know what I receive.

As a practical matter, I have and continue to OC in Taco Bell, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Pizza Hut w/o any negative incident.....not one, not ever.

RikuNoganashi

Can't believe its been almost a year since anyone posted on this thread.

Been a while, hasnt it? Almost a year since anyone posted anything. Guess that's a good thing, right? I've had some interesting experiences here lately, thought I would share. I was pulled over on the interstate near Cookeville just two weeks ago, and of course, the first thing the trooper asked was if there were any weapons in the vehicle. I was of course carrying, and informed him of this, as we are forced to. He responded by putting a hand on his gun, unsnapping the holster, and telling me to keep my hands on the ceiling of the vehicle. He returned to his car, ran our ids, and then used his loudspeaker to tell me to stick both hands out the side window before he would approach the vehicle again. All in all it took about forty five minutes for him to issue me a "Verbal Warning" for going seventy six in a seventy. Aside from that, I was stopped in the Algood walmart by an officer who demanded my carry permit, and then drawn down on for "Moving too fast" when I reached for my wallet, even though my firearm was in a shoulder holster at the time.

Edit: My digital recorder crapped out on me, the batteries exploded and corroded the circuit board. Therefore, I have been meaning to get around to replacing it, but havent yet...

Last edited:

HPmatt

Met a local motorcycle cop yesterday (here in Dallas) going to my gun club - he didn't bat an eye when I told him I was armed - he did tell me he would go to the range everyday if he could.

I did see a Maclin & Son 18 wheeler from Memphis - maybe that distracted me from seeing I was 13 over posted[emoji853]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nshaw65

Had a great day open carrying

I did some shopping today and open carried my Ruger SR9c with a 17 rd mag. on my right hip and (2) 17 rd mags on my left hip. Stopped in at Lakeway Auto Parts in Bristol, TN., nobody noticed. Picked up a prescription at CVS on Virginia St., bristol, TN., again nobody noticed. Did some grocery shopping at Kroger in Bristol, VA and the manager walked up and asked me what I was carrying. He was interested to know more about the Ruger American pistol that recently came out and said he has a XDS 45. We had a great conversation about firearms and couldn't have had a better day.

nshaw65

Open Carry Report in Bristol, TN/VA

OC'd Saturday in Tri-Cities Flea Market, Lowe's, Bristol, TN., K Mart, Bristol, TN., Andy's, Bristol, VA., and Kroger, Bristol, VA. Not one issue. On the way out of Kroger I passed 3 LE and not one even noticed.

Ken56

OC'd at Carvers Orchard in Cosby yesterday. No comments, no issues. Great place to go for a wide selection of apples and some other produce still. Nice restaurant on premises along with a candy store with fresh hand made candies and barrels of the old fashioned ones.

papa bear

Thanks for the thread, guys
I occasionally cross over into TN, every once in a while. I was just curious, if you still have to have government permission to carry in TN. THANKS

OngoingFreedom

Thanks for the thread, guys
I occasionally cross over into TN, every once in a while. I was just curious, if you still have to have government permission to carry in TN. THANKS

For now, yes. The good news is TN recognizes everyone else's permits. The bad news is you do need a permit to carry, whether concealed or open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

papa bear

For now, yes. The good news is TN recognizes everyone else's permits. The bad news is you do need a permit to carry, whether concealed or open.

You can now have a loaded firearm in your vehicle in TN without a license. Check TN.gov

Thanks for the response guys. I have more question I couldn't find the answer to. Do you have to submit to a search at the authority demand? I have a permit due to the racist NC PPP law. What if you refuse search?
About the car, is it any thing like NC or VA? In NC out of site, out of reach, in sight in reach both OK. Of course without permit. But you have to break 4thA, by having to tell authority you are armed (concealed)
In VA, you can have it in a closed container,aka glove box

OngoingFreedom

Thanks for the response guys. I have more question I couldn't find the answer to. Do you have to submit to a search at the authority demand? I have a permit due to the racist NC PPP law. What if you refuse search?
About the car, is it any thing like NC or VA? In NC out of site, out of reach, in sight in reach both OK. Of course without permit. But you have to break 4thA, by having to tell authority you are armed (concealed)
In VA, you can have it in a closed container,aka glove box

You have the same rights to refuse search as you do anywhere I imagine.

There is no requirement that you have to inform law enforcement that you are armed. Your call if asked, you could just stay silent. This is moot of course if your firearm is visible.

You can keep a loaded handgun anywhere, openly or concealed in your vehicle. You can also keep a loaded (but not chambered) long gun in the same manner in TN in your vehicle.

You can not leave your vehicle armed with a handgun unless you are defending yourself, are on private property or you have a permit to carry. You cannot be armed with a loaded long gun outside your vehicle unless you are on private property, you are defending yourself or you are hunting.

papa bear

Thanks ONGOINGFREEDOM. Just to clarify though, you do not need a permit to have a gun in your car?

Do you need a permit to carry openly a long gun? ( hope that doesn't break forum rules)

Fallguy

Actually long guns can have chambered rounds now too. At one time only those with Handgun Carry Permits could have loaded long guns in their vehicle (without one in the chamber) but after the law change if you can legally posses the firearm (handgun or long gun) you have have it in your vehicle, loaded (including a round in the chamber) without a permit.

In general there is no legal way to openly carry a loaded long gun on your person unless it is incidental to hunting or one of the other listed activities in the law.