• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Open Carry Report

Q-Tip

According to Tennessee Law the possession of a firearm in your home, business, or premises is a "defense" to the unlawful carry of a firearm as well....

So then would it be acceptable to you for a police officer to disarm a homeowner and force them to prove that they are at their place of residence by providing a deed, rental agreement or other documentation?

Thank you for mentioning this. I didn't realize it. Somebody should definitely post this on the TN Gun Owners forum.

Kingfish

In Tennessee it is a crime. The state looks at it differently than most other states. The permit is called a "defense"...
This is correct. In Tennessee you can be detained, arrested, booked and charged for carrying a firearm. You can present your HCP in court as a defense to this crime. This does not happen but by TN law LE has the power (constitutionality notwithstanding) to arrest for carrying a firearm permit or not.

Oh Shoot

This is correct. In Tennessee you can be detained, arrested, booked and charged for carrying a firearm. You can present your HCP in court as a defense to this crime. This does not happen but by TN law LE has the power (constitutionality notwithstanding) to arrest for carrying a firearm permit or not.

Of course, the thing that happens more often is that you are confronted by LEO and asked to produce permit.

Unlike in some states, our law means that simply the sight of a handgun on your person is grounds for stopping and interrogating you. In states where you have the right to carry, it is not.

- OS

FTG-05

Well, that won't be me, they banned me for being Leonard Embody (kwikrnu). Of course, I'm not and I really don't have much use for the FUDDS over there anyway.

I haven't been banned over there (yet), but that place is infested with FUDDs. It's disgraceful how they treat OC and more importantly, OCers. :mad:

SovereignAxe

Carried today to the pawn shop downtown on market street, but I was still too cold to take off my jacket, so I wasn't open. Judging by the way shops like that watch their customers I wouldn't doubt if one of them saw my Serpa sticking out the bottom though. I went in to check their gun prices and I wasn't impressed-they were selling used guns at new gun prices. Best deal they had was a Beretta shotgun for $400. They had a Glock 17 going for $475, so I moved right along.

Next up was a trip to the Jonesborough Wal-Mart for some motor oil. Uneventful as usual. No mention of my Walther-nobody even seemed to notice, though I'm sure a few did. Nothing is on rollback so I bit the bullet and bought a 5 qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum for full price. My Subie is past due for a change.

Predator220

First Post

Yeah this is my first post forgive me lol I do read a lot here tho, Im a fairly new permit holder in East TN, Tricities area and so far im agreeing with everything thats been mentioned thus far in this thread. Most of the stores and areas around here that arent posted pretty much people dont even notice and/or care. No problems out of all of the local walmarts for sure. The only thing so far that ive had a issue with is the TWRA boat ramp areas since you cant carry on the ramps according to the signs but yet the water is fair game ... kinda leads to some ?'s there ..... and of course everyone in the tricites is freaked out about the local state and city parks and has put bans in JC parks and Kingsport Area Parks (Wing Deer, Warriors, Bays Mtn)

BTW Hello !

alexander

OC'ed dropping off and picking up my car from Firestone a few nights ago. One man in the garage noticed and told his buddies - who then all peered through the glass waiting for something big to break out. To their surprise, I paid for my new brake pads and rotors, and walked out - and I didn't even commit a crime.

Overall - quite smooth. I OC every night walking the dogs and working my way into feeling confident enough/knowledgeable enough to go into the world. This forum has been hugely helpful!

SovereignAxe

Yeah this is my first post forgive me lol I do read a lot here tho, Im a fairly new permit holder in East TN, Tricities area and so far im agreeing with everything thats been mentioned thus far in this thread. Most of the stores and areas around here that arent posted pretty much people dont even notice and/or care. No problems out of all of the local walmarts for sure. The only thing so far that ive had a issue with is the TWRA boat ramp areas since you cant carry on the ramps according to the signs but yet the water is fair game ... kinda leads to some ?'s there ..... and of course everyone in the tricites is freaked out about the local state and city parks and has put bans in JC parks and Kingsport Area Parks (Wing Deer, Warriors, Bays Mtn)

BTW Hello !

Hello, and welcome! We're up to three in the tricities now. Maybe we should start thinking about planning an OC lunch or something and get to know each other :banana:

Yeah, I've noticed that about parks. I went to walk my dog at one of the parks on Broadway and saw the sign.

Oddly though I've been to Wing Deer a few times and have never noticed. I wonder what the legality is on tiny signs off to the sides of the entrance that you'd never notice unless you stopped your vehicle to read it.

OngoingFreedom

Went a few places this week and had the highest level of others noticing that I've ever, well, noticed.

Kroger: checkout clerk saw it when I maneuvered from front to rear around my cart after unloading it on the belt. She then asked me how I was doing today and did I have a Plus card?

FedEx World Service Center (2x): I had a notice of a missed delivery that needed a signature so I ran over to pick it up. I had to come a second time because it was still on the truck. On visit #1 a guy standing in line behind me asked if you can carry like that with a CWP in TN. I replied yes, with a permit. He explained he was from SC (which explained the permit acronym) and asked about carry prohibited locations . We chatted briefly and I left, packageless.

Grainger (3x): bought fluorescent tubes for the office, returned to get ballasts when new tubes didn't solve all the lighting problems, and returned again to exchange the four lamp ballasts for three lamp ballasts. On visit #1 there was a Davidson County Sheriff's utility van in the parking lot. When I went inside the driver was apparently a mechanic for the Sheriff's Office but gave me a long look anyway. Guess he was trying to figure out who I worked for, I dunno.

Anyway, no issues.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using Tapatalk

OngoingFreedom

According to Tennessee Law the possession of a firearm in your home, business, or premises is a "defense" to the unlawful carry of a firearm as well.

So then would it be acceptable to you for a police officer to disarm a homeowner and force them to prove that they are at their place of residence by providing a deed, rental agreement or other documentation?

I haven't responded to this for awhile for a few reasons.

WCrawford I say this without judgement, sarcasm, or derision. You are caustic. Not always, but when you respond to something or someone you disagree with you are unnecessarily abrasive. I decided I did not want to immediately reply because I would have added to the level of emotion in this line of discussion in an unhelpful way.

I also wanted to consider and study what you brought up. You are right. In the State of TN it is illegal to be armed. Simple. Period. I didn't know this. Sure, there are "defenses", but being armed is flat-out illegal. As I said earlier, due to the way the law is written law enforcement may challenge an armed individual wherever they may be found.

Why do you, and the others who feel as you do, feel the need to be angry or irritated with me? With the exception of saying that the law should be changed I have not revealed how I feel about this but instead responded in a factual manner.

Art. I, Section 26 of the Constitution of the State of Tennessee states, "That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have the power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime."

Pretty awkward to combine this with making it unlawful to be armed. Regardless, it bears repeating that TN law enforcement do not, as a rule, challenge the sight of our weapons. They can, but they don't. So despite OC being rare in TN I am impressed with the professionalism and respect that I have experienced from TN LEOs.

OngoingFreedom

Just fought through a throng of anti-gun boycotters in front of Starbucks to enjoy a caramel macchiato while OC'ing.

Well, that's not entirely true. Two of those three facts were correct. Cold drizzle DOES make a soggy mess out of a protest sign :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ppardue1

Today was my first day carrying (I received my permit on Saturday and Monday I was at school.). My day went somewhat as follows:

I walked into Regions bank (Posted, I will be closing my account after locating a more carry-friendly bank.) with my holster on. I was intercepted by one of the employees.
"Hi, how are you?"
"Quite well, thank you."
"Can I help you?" (Be it noted that I was less than half-way across the lobby floor, headed for the teller's desk.)
"Well, I just wanted to cash this check, but usually I have to go over there (pointing toward teller) to do it."
"Oh, well, yeah..."
The employee walks away and I go to the teller. The employee returns with someone else and they stand behind me, silent, watching me. The teller (who knows me) was quite cordial.

From there I walked into Wal-Mart. Nothing to report. I could not discern that a single person noticed my gun which, in itself, is not very discreet.

On to Home Depot where, again, not a soul noticed and/or cared. I had interaction with several employees as I had them help me put a load of MDF into my truck.

Then, of course, to Starbucks. I live in Loudon so the scenery is fairly rural and, for the most part, everyone is a farmer. This might account, somewhat, for the gun being a non-issue. My nearest Starbucks, however, is in West Knoxville. I met a friend (who was also open carrying) and we proceeded inside. Outside sat a group of young women. As we walked in the door one exclaimed to the others, "Oh #%^!, they've got guns!" The young girls behind the counter almost froze when they saw us. They couldn't make eye contact and stammered in trying to talk. We gave our orders, they kept their eyes on our guns, and, otherwise, everything was normal. We enjoyed our beverages and left.

So, more-or-less, it was completely uneventful. I was pretty nervous at first but after the sky didn't fall I became much more comfortable.

SovereignAxe

Went to Starbucks (for the first time ever) yesterday. Didn't OC because it was too cold (jacket was covering). Paid with $6 in $2 bills, and the guy said I was the first person to do so (at about 530pm), which was a little disappointing.

Today was a very nice day and didn't wear my jacket at all. OCed today to Krispy Kreme (my pastry and coffee joint of choice-I don't drink coffee, but their hot chocolate is DELICIOUS), Cook Out, and the State of Franklin road Shell station in front of ETSU. Not a word was spoken at any place, but I thought I was going to at Cook Out...

At Cook Out for whatever reason their charge card readers are notoriously slow, and today was no different. It timed out once and then rejected my card the second time. I gave up and decided to use cash. My total was $4.81 and I only had $4 in cash on me. So I went out to my car to get the change, came back, and paid with exact change, including my very last $2 bill. So after all this, I take my food (which you normally have to wait for. It was brought out before I could finish paying), and go to fill my drink. It's at this point that I hear behind me, "SIR!?"

I'm thinking uh oh, what now? Today I was wearing a grey long sleeve shirt and khakis, with my full size black P99 in a black Serpa. So it doesn't exactly blend in with my clothing, and at this point, between going to my car, coming back, and going to get my drink, they've seen all sides of me at least twice. So there's no way they haven't noticed. I go back to the cashier and she just wanted to make sure I got the right food. Normally they have to call out the order number when it's read, but I just took mine when it came, so she didn't have to.

Nobody cares-at least not enough to make a fuss, and that's the way it should be.

WCrawford

I haven't responded to this for awhile for a few reasons.

WCrawford I say this without judgement, sarcasm, or derision. You are caustic. Not always, but when you respond to something or someone you disagree with you are unnecessarily abrasive. I decided I did not want to immediately reply because I would have added to the level of emotion in this line of discussion in an unhelpful way.

I'm a person who speaks his mind with confidence, this can come off as abrasive or arrogant to some people. This is not intended, usually (when it is intended, I will tend to insult them as well).

I also wanted to consider and study what you brought up. You are right. In the State of TN it is illegal to be armed. Simple. Period. I didn't know this. Sure, there are "defenses", but being armed is flat-out illegal. As I said earlier, due to the way the law is written law enforcement may challenge an armed individual wherever they may be found.

Why do you, and the others who feel as you do, feel the need to be angry or irritated with me? With the exception of saying that the law should be changed I have not revealed how I feel about this but instead responded in a factual manner.

I don't think anyone is angry or irritated at you. With the idiots who write the laws, sure. With the cops who rarely even know the laws they are paid to enforce, certainly. But not you.

Art. I, Section 26 of the Constitution of the State of Tennessee states, "That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have the power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime."

Pretty awkward to combine this with making it unlawful to be armed. Regardless, it bears repeating that TN law enforcement do not, as a rule, challenge the sight of our weapons. They can, but they don't. So despite OC being rare in TN I am impressed with the professionalism and respect that I have experienced from TN LEOs.

I used to be "impressed with the professionalism and respect that I have experienced from TN LEOs" until I experienced their lack of professionalism, respect, knowledge, and abject disregard for civil rights. I hope you never get to experience that side.

Now, I did pose my question to you as a way to get you to think about the "problem" in a different way. And it appears that it accomplished the goal.

Last edited:

WCrawford

Went to Starbucks (for the first time ever) yesterday. Didn't OC because it was too cold (jacket was covering). Paid with $6 in $2 bills, and the guy said I was the first person to do so (at about 530pm), which was a little disappointing.

I went to a Starbucks on Wednesday (inside a Target). Since I never pay for anything with cash anymore, I personally thanked the server for Starbucks' policy (of which she wasn't aware), when I paid with my Walmart debit card (is that legal?).

Overtaker

I didn't see any news report about a massacre at kroger or staples I assume everything went okay?

What's really going to surprise you is that I recently OC'd to Chili's restaurant, and before we were seated we hung out at the bar. But the unbelievable part is that I did not drink, I did not become intoxicated, and all the terrible things that the Tennessean and Randy Rayburn dreamed up never occurred!