• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Open Carry Report

SovereignAxe

ok, guys. I realize I started this thread forever ago and basically abandoned it-I'm sorry. Life got busy buying my first house and, if I'm honest, open carry was getting to be a bit boring. But never fear, my local Chili's decided to spice things up the other day and give me a story!

I want to start of by saying that I did everything wrong. Nothing went the way I wanted or imagined it would. But I do count it as a learning experience, and I guess that's what matters.

So anyway, after a long day of new-house maintenance my wife and I stroll into Chili's at 930pm. That's right 9:30. We were starving, she was cranky and I was close to it, it was raining, and our day still wasn't over-I still had one more errand to run on the other side of town before going home. We get to Chili's and it's still raining so I drop her off at the entrance and go park. I make it in and she's already seated. I sit down and realize that I forgot my wallet in the car. So I go back out into the rain, get my wallet, come back to the door, for a 3rd time, and this time I'm greeted at the door by whom I'm assuming was the manager. He opened the door for me and then asked me if I can put the "that" in the car.

OCDO, I wanted so badly to just give him a big nope and walk right out the door. But my wife was across the room, I was tired, borderline cranky, and I just KNEW my wife wouldn't go for it as cranky and as hungry as she was. So I took it to the car, locked it up, and came back into the building for the fourth time to sit down and finally eat. What happened next was the most surprising part.

I told my wife what happened and she was mad. But not at me-at the restaurant! She said that if it ever happens again to come get her and we will leave on the spot. I was so proud! But at the same time I felt like an idiot for not discussing this with her a long time ago.

I haven't had time to follow up with someone in charge since then, but if and when I do I'll give an update.

Nascar24Glock

ok, guys. I realize I started this thread forever ago and basically abandoned it-I'm sorry. Life got busy buying my first house and, if I'm honest, open carry was getting to be a bit boring. But never fear, my local Chili's decided to spice things up the other day and give me a story!

I want to start of by saying that I did everything wrong. Nothing went the way I wanted or imagined it would. But I do count it as a learning experience, and I guess that's what matters.

So anyway, after a long day of new-house maintenance my wife and I stroll into Chili's at 930pm. That's right 9:30. We were starving, she was cranky and I was close to it, it was raining, and our day still wasn't over-I still had one more errand to run on the other side of town before going home. We get to Chili's and it's still raining so I drop her off at the entrance and go park. I make it in and she's already seated. I sit down and realize that I forgot my wallet in the car. So I go back out into the rain, get my wallet, come back to the door, for a 3rd time, and this time I'm greeted at the door by whom I'm assuming was the manager. He opened the door for me and then asked me if I can put the "that" in the car.

OCDO, I wanted so badly to just give him a big nope and walk right out the door. But my wife was across the room, I was tired, borderline cranky, and I just KNEW my wife wouldn't go for it as cranky and as hungry as she was. So I took it to the car, locked it up, and came back into the building for the fourth time to sit down and finally eat. What happened next was the most surprising part.

I told my wife what happened and she was mad. But not at me-at the restaurant! She said that if it ever happens again to come get her and we will leave on the spot. I was so proud! But at the same time I felt like an idiot for not discussing this with her a long time ago.

I haven't had time to follow up with someone in charge since then, but if and when I do I'll give an update.

Wow, looks like you're making progress with her! It will be interesting to see if she eventually takes the plunge and starts OC'ing too.

I've also had a few (good) encounters lately.

At the Food City in Gray, I had just finished checking myself out at one of the self-checkout kiosks. One of the employees walks up to me and says "If you don't mind me asking, what's up with the pistol?" I then proceeded to give him some basic information about OC in general and about some of the states where a permit is not required for OC.

At the Chick-Fil-A in Johnson City near Home Depot, I come in there so often with it that a couple of the employees know me as "the guy who always comes in with a Glock on his hip." I've had one or two people notice it while in there (one time, a small child noticed it and said "look grandma; that man's got a gun").

So far though, I haven't had any more MWAG's, following the Crazy Tomato incident between me, pfries, and the JC PD that SovereignAxe witnessed (see posts 195-197 on this thread).

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

Haha, I try to avoid that Chik-Fil-A on People's St since it's a pain to get in and out of (or anything on People's St. for that matter. It's near impossible to get in and out without having to make a left turn at a busy intersection). I'm sure eventually I may eventually get to be known as the guy that always comes in with a Walther on his hip, though. Now that I live in Elizabethton I might get to be known as that guy in that location. I'm sure I already am at the Blue Circle.

Last edited:

SgtScott31

Disarming the citizen, then providing a lecture where the citizen could not reasonably extricate himself from their clutches is more than voicing their opinion. They did not, if the op is accurate, give the OP his firearm back with a cover it up or get out. Nope, just walked him out. It seems that all of the facts are irrelevant to some folks.

OP, get a new church, and let your preacher know why.

Yea, because it makes a lot more sense to stand him up in the middle of the church and start handling weapons and questioning him about the legality of carrying the weapon instead of being discrete about the situation outside of the church....

WCrawford

Yea, because it makes a lot more sense to stand him up in the middle of the church and start handling weapons and questioning him about the legality of carrying the weapon instead of being discrete about the situation outside of the church....

What makes more sense is for police to stay out of civil matters, *****************

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk 4

Last edited by a moderator:

SgtScott31

What makes more sense is for police to stay out of civil matters, *****************

It was police who were called. Carrying a handgun in TN is illegal until proven otherwise per 39-17-1307. A defense is a valid HCP, so technically it's not a civil matter. If you have an issue with the police dealing with it, talk to the property owners who called them in the first place.

WCrawford

It was police who were called. Carrying a handgun in TN is illegal until proven otherwise per 39-17-1307. A defense is a valid HCP, so technically it's not a civil matter. If you have an issue with the police dealing with it, talk to the property owners who called them in the first place.

I have a problem with morons who must use jack boots because they are too stupid to ask a person to leave themselves. I have a problem with jack boots that cater to morons.

SgtScott31

I have a problem with morons who must use jack boots because they are too stupid to ask a person to leave themselves. I have a problem with jack boots that cater to morons.

I know this may come as a surprise to OCers (insert sarcasm here), but the vast majority of people in this country do not feel too comfortable approaching other people with guns, particularly in public areas. I find it comical that you term those who don't carry a gun or don't feel comfortable approaching people with guns "morons." I guess that means about 90% of the U.S. falls into that category.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know this may come as a surprise to OCers (insert sarcasm here), but the vast majority of people in this country do not feel too comfortable approaching other people with guns, particularly in public areas. I find it comical that you term those who don't carry a gun or don't feel comfortable approaching people with guns "morons." I guess that means about 90% of the U.S. falls into that category.
Cite please.

papa bear

you are right in some ways. the better term may be Sheeple but then i feel that is below morons.

another factor, looking at a generalization. i feel like the number would be in the 5-10%

Ken56

OC'd at the Jefferson City Lowes the other day for some paint. Wife and I went to the paint counter, put in our request and the shopped some while it was mixed. I didn't notice anyone giving me odd looks or anything out of sorts. Nothing said to me at all. I'm just getting used to OC here in TN. Its way screwed up that posession of a firearem is Illegal in TN without a permit. It flies against the U.S. constitution and liberty. I hope that there is an effort to change this.

Nascar24Glock

OC'd at the Jefferson City Lowes the other day for some paint. Wife and I went to the paint counter, put in our request and the shopped some while it was mixed. I didn't notice anyone giving me odd looks or anything out of sorts. Nothing said to me at all. I'm just getting used to OC here in TN. Its way screwed up that posession of a firearem is Illegal in TN without a permit. It flies against the U.S. constitution and liberty. I hope that there is an effort to change this.

There is. I am in talks with my state Rep. He and one other rep are both working on a bill to allow unlicensed open carry.

Nascar24Glock

Is this hush hush super secret, or can we know the names of the reps so we can persuade our reps to help?

Representative Micah Van Huss is the primary person working on it. He's working on it with another (I don't recall the name).

Also, I have talked with Senator Campfield (Knoxville) on his facebook page. He's open to that idea and is willing to be the Senate sponsor. However, he has indicated that he does not wish to be the one to "introduce" it and instead will introduce it in the Senate IF someone introduces it in the House first.

Oh Shoot

Also, I have talked with Senator Campfield (Knoxville) on his facebook page. He's open to that idea and is willing to be the Senate sponsor. However, he has indicated that he does not wish to be the one to "introduce" it and instead will introduce it in the Senate IF someone introduces it in the House first.

Most of us are fond our loon Stacy, that why he's been reelected. But I swear it's better if he doesn't sponsor a bill anymore -- seems to confer instant screwball status to it for many, no matter what it is.

- OS

Rick H

My question to you. Where do you get your info from that the vast majority of people in this country are afraid or not comfortable with us open carriers? Pierce Morgan? I live here in Alabama and open carry every single day no matter where I go. I even go as far as to ask people what they think about seeing or being around people with guns and Not once have I ever received a bad comment. The other day my wife and I were at a local Applebee's and this older couple, mid 60's came up to us and made this statement " Question Sir are you a police officer? No, I stated. that's ok. while we were eating dinner we noticed that you were carrying a firearm and that you were just out with your wife we presume and we had never felt more comfortable and safe while out having a nice dinner our selves, Thank you for being here and have a nice evening." I get this type of response all the time here in Alabama. I also go to Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Ohio. and get the same type of response there too. I have made this an obsession of mine to find the truth of what people really think of firearms and open carry for myself.... now with that said, the people that spew the same old anti-gun liberal garbage that 90 percent of people are scared are full of horse pucky.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Morons" is an unfortunate term, but 90% is ludicrous.

Still waiting on the cite.

marrandy

So the correct thing that should have happened was for the plainclothes officer to say "Excuse me sir, I'm sorry, but the pastor doesn't allow open carry on church property. You will have to go and conceal, put it in your vehicle, or leave".

Pretty simple and straight forward for a professional police officer do whether on or off duty.

But all you can do is make defensive statements to protect the 'thin Blue line' who were borderline incompetent, intimidating and threatening.

independence

I usually CC at church here in TN but this past Sunday I showed up right after the church service was over OCing. I was out of town and the babysitter brought my kids to our church so I was there to pick them up. Anyway, several noted my firearm and talked a bit to me about it in a positive way. My favorite was this guy who felt he needed to make me aware of the fact I was carrying a gun on my hip. He kept pointing his finger and repeating in a loud and excited voice, "You've got your gun! You've got your gun with you! You've got your gun!!" I sat down next to him and said, "Yup. Good to see you, man. How was your week?" He never mentioned the gun again after that.

Last edited: