• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Open Carry Report

Z1P2

Because that is the law in your state.

Doesn't the constitution trump state law just as it did in DC with the eventual overturning of their anti-gun legislation in the courts? I'm not complaining, but just wondering why this restriction hasn't been challenged in court yet?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Doesn't the constitution trump state law just as it did in DC with the eventual overturning of their anti-gun legislation in the courts? I'm not complaining, but just wondering why this restriction hasn't been challenged in court yet?

In a perfect world things might be that simple.

Heller determined that a D.C. resident had the right to possess a handgun in their home. Not much more. As a practical matter, that hasn't happened yet. The process for even that is almost insurmountable due to the extensive requirements.

Laws have been and are continuing to be challenged from the local level through SCOTUS, but it is hardly free - how much money do you wish to contribute? Get involved, learn the history and current status, join your local state RKBA group(s), become an informed participant.

WCrawford

I OC here and there around Nashville when I'm not going to campus which, unfortunately, isn't often. But I've gone in a few different Wal-Marts a couple of times, Qdoba, and Radnor Lake once or twice (yes, it was holstered, lol). I also make the occasional stop in Columbia or Collinwood when traveling back home. So far no positive or negative encounters of any kind. Maybe a curious glance at most.

I OC all over Nashville (when not working), too.

Oh Shoot

What Grapeshot said.

The Supremes have ruled both in DC and Chicago that the public has the right to "keep" guns but they stopped short of ruling on being able to "bear" them, leaving that to the states. So they have only partially given lip service to 2A.

Of course, so far the hoops that DC and Chicago have set up for ownership to comply have been anything but reasonable just for the "keeping" part.

- OS

SovereignAxe

Made a few OC trips recently. A couple days ago I went to the State Line Market on US-19E in Elizabethton to get some of their no-ethanol gas. I make it a point to stop there whenever I'm in the area and low on gas because I get the absolute best mileage from their fuel. One guy in a white pickup waiting for a pump seemed to eyeball me for a moment as I walked in the store, but on my way out he seemed more focused on getting around the car that didn't pull forward to the first pump. No one inside seemed to notice.

Today I ran into Carter County Bank on Broad Street in Elizabethton to make a sizeable withdrawal from savings (gotta take care of some wedding expenses) and to change my address (the statements have been going to my parents house-which I moved out of over a year ago. I'm lazy, I know lol). The tellers sit behind tall desks, so I don't think they saw it, but there were two or three customers that walked in behind me. Not a one of them seemed to notice.

After that I headed over to the Blue Circle Market to patronize Poor Trav's Deli, also on Broad Street. I had to stand around in the store for about 5 minutes while they made my sandwhich, and there were a handful of other customers that came and went as I was waiting. Nobody seemed to notice there either, or didn't care enough to even give it more than a glance.

I'm starting to think that most peoples' SA is even worse than I thought it was (and I thought it was pretty bad). That or OC is more accepted around here than I thought.

Law_Abiding_Citizen

It sucks that my home state has permit for OC. I hope and wish for the day to come when it will not require a permit. Glad to see some ETSU guys on here, my bro went there mid 90s. I have yet to OC in TN cause I don't have the permit needed, can anyone let me know what I have to do to get it and how much it costs?

DeeGee

I grew up in Bluff City & went to ETSU. I had no idea TN issues permits for OC. I also use the same paddle holster with great success.

Oh Shoot

It sucks that my home state has permit for OC. I hope and wish for the day to come when it will not require a permit. Glad to see some ETSU guys on here, my bro went there mid 90s. I have yet to OC in TN cause I don't have the permit needed, can anyone let me know what I have to do to get it and how much it costs?

You have to get your VA carry permit. It's good here for open or concealed carry.

- OS

WCrawford

TN charges $115 for the initial 4 year permit and $55 for each 4 year renewal. The training required varies by company.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk

Law_Abiding_Citizen

TN charges $115 for the initial 4 year permit and $55 for each 4 year renewal. The training required varies by company.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk

Thanks, this was very helpful, now to save up haha. As I said earlier I often come back to TN, I will have to get them there due to keeping my TN license/ID and all. Still have residence in Rogersville. Always back and forth between the two states and on the border of NC, but VA and NC don't require OC permits.

Kingfish

Thanks, this was very helpful, now to save up haha. As I said earlier I often come back to TN, I will have to get them there due to keeping my TN license/ID and all. Still have residence in Rogersville. Always back and forth between the two states and on the border of NC, but VA and NC don't require OC permits.
Except that Tennessee does not issue to non residents unless you work full time in TN. You will need to either get a permit from your state or a non resident from another state which Tennessee honors (which is ALL of them.)

Oh Shoot

Except that Tennessee does not issue to non residents unless you work full time in TN. You will need to either get a permit from your state or a non resident from another state which Tennessee honors (which is ALL of them.)

I suggested that too, but said (in response you quoted) he has TN drivers license and an address in Rogersville, his official residence.

As far a TN is concerned, he's still a resident.

- OS

Last edited:

Kingfish

I suggested that too, but said (in response you quoted) he has TN drivers license and an address in Rogersville, his official residence.

- OS
Stessful day. Guess I should go back and reread these contracts before I send them off.

OngoingFreedom

I don't see a lot of OC experiences yet on this thread (hint hint) so I'll add some of mine.

OC when I can and have only experienced the following reactions:

Hendersonville Target: bicycle cop leaning against front outside was doing a Roger Rabbit (according to DW walking about ten feet behind me) but did nothing.

Another day at the same Target I was assisted by a male associate, who exclaimed "Oh, you're packing," which led to a brief discussion how he's had to explain to other associates in the store how it's legal. Overall a good encounter.

Gallatin Lenny's Sub Shop (great subs): manager was super nice and had a nice chat with her. During the discussion her eyes dropped several times (hey, eyes up here!) but otherwise ignored it.

Burgess Falls State Park: starting down at the top of the largest falls I met a ranger and an assistant walking up on the narrow stairway. The ranger seemed to be looking for me because once he saw me his eyes never left me. Once he looked down at my Glock he stopped (too close, tactically, it felt), unsnapped and placed his hand on his weapon, stopping me. He said "I'd like to see your ID and permit." I replied "as I would expect you to (or something else as stupid), drew my ID wallet that had them both in windows and presented it. He gave a cursory glance, thanked me by name and returned it. And that was all the longer it lasted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Law_Abiding_Citizen

- OS

Lol thanks for adding that, just now got a few minutes to log on see how stuff is going. =P

"Stessful day. Guess I should go back and reread these contracts before I send them off. "

Had plenty of those, yeah actually reading and taking it all in would help haha.

But yeah state of residence as far as any state is concerned would be TN so it wouldn't be a problem to get my permit there and it would be honored as CC as well by the states I frequent as well. Prolly is cheaper in TN than it would be VA or NC either one, don't quote me on that cause I haven't really checked, if things don't work out here I will be back in TN and not going to many other states anytime soon haha.

No one seems to have even taken notice of me OCing yet, that I have actually noticed myself, but could just not be paying too much attention. Need to start paying better attention, would be a wise move.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

Burgess Falls State Park: starting down at the top of the largest falls I met a ranger and an assistant walking up on the narrow stairway. The ranger seemed to be looking for me because once he saw me his eyes never left me. Once he looked down at my Glock he stopped (too close, tactically, it felt), unsnapped and placed his hand on his weapon, stopping me. He said "I'd like to see your ID and permit." I replied "as I would expect you to (or something else as stupid), drew my ID wallet that had them both in windows and presented it. He gave a cursory glance, thanked me by name and returned it. And that was all the longer it lasted.

Threat of deadly force force because he wanted to see your permit? Waaay over the top and I'd have to file a complaint/report.

Oh Shoot

.... Prolly is cheaper in TN than it would be VA or NC either one, don't quote me on that cause I haven't really checked, ,,,

Actually, I don't know of any other state that is MORE expensive than TN. Around 175-210 clams. ($115 to state + whatever the course you find costs).

- OS

Last edited:

papa bear

[/QUOTE]

you have to have a permit in KY to OC ?