• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Open Carry Report

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yesterday, a friend and I carried into the Outback Steakhouse on North Peters Rd. in Knoxville. From what I gather this location had been previously posted but has since removed the posting. I expected that we would probably meet resistance; however all went well except for lousy service from a new waiter. :mad:

It is my understanding that Darden Restaurants have become gun friendly or at least gun neutral by following the recommendations inherent in the laws of each state in which they are located.

These include Outback Steakhouse where we have had OC dinners and Red Lobster where my SO and I have dined.

See list of their restaurants:
http://www.darden.com/restaurants/

SovereignAxe

It is my understanding that Darden Restaurants have become gun friendly or at least gun neutral by following the recommendations inherent in the laws of each state in which they are located.

These include Outback Steakhouse where we have had OC dinners and Red Lobster where my SO and I have dined.

See list of their restaurants:
http://www.darden.com/restaurants/

We've got an Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Smokey Bones, and Bonefish Grill all right next to/across from each other, and I'm pretty sure they're all owned by Darden.

I'd been avoiding all of them (90% because I can't afford to eat out very often, 10% because of their gun policy), but that's good to know!

SovereignAxe

Open carried today for the first time in several days to the Arby's on North Roan St. I had almost forgotten that it was Easter Sunday, and the church crowd was out in force when we arrived.

I guess all of the families were paying too much attention to each other to notice me. I don't think anyone did until I was on my way out: as I was emptying my trash I noticed a little girl, couldn't have been more than 10, trying to get a better look at it.

jt59

Open carried today for the first time in several days to the Arby's on North Roan St. I had almost forgotten that it was Easter Sunday, and the church crowd was out in force when we arrived.

I guess all of the families were paying too much attention to each other to notice me. I don't think anyone did until I was on my way out: as I was emptying my trash I noticed a little girl, couldn't have been more than 10, trying to get a better look at it.

Cool, actually though, I think today is Palm Sunday....So, you still have time to make the early service For Easter....next week.

images[1].jpg

Last edited:

edc

I was in Kroger today and while walking down an aisle I knew that a stock boy was trailing behind me. The manager was also at the end of the aisle talking to another employee. The stock boy behind me started calling out to his manager and then the manager look directly at me and my gun then back to the stocker. I'm guessing the stock was pointing at me or something. As I passed I heard the manager tell the employee that it is OK and allowed there.

I understand that the kid probably had no idea and is never around guns except for movies/TV. Good job for the manager knowing it was good to go.

Q-Tip

Had my first encounter today. Very positive. I had to make a quick Auto Zone run, and I saw the parts guy glance at it when I walked up to ask for what I needed. He asked if it was a .40, and I said it was a 9mm. He also asked if i was a cop, and I replied that I carried for personal defense. Had a brief conversation about the cost of a TN HCP, our mutual admiration for 1911's, etc. Very good encounter/conversation, and definitely a confidence builder for me.

Coltman151

It wasn't me, but I noticed an open carrier in Lowe's where I work today. I looked at the doors and there's no gunbuster, so I would say Lowe's seems gun friendly.

SovereignAxe

Cool, actually though, I think today is Palm Sunday....So, you still have time to make the early service For Easter....next week.

View attachment 8247

lol I'm atheist so I don't keep up with those things too well.

I was in Kroger today and while walking down an aisle I knew that a stock boy was trailing behind me. The manager was also at the end of the aisle talking to another employee. The stock boy behind me started calling out to his manager and then the manager look directly at me and my gun then back to the stocker. I'm guessing the stock was pointing at me or something. As I passed I heard the manager tell the employee that it is OK and allowed there.

I understand that the kid probably had no idea and is never around guns except for movies/TV. Good job for the manager knowing it was good to go.

was this in TN? I just noticed your location says MS.

SovereignAxe

You're the first southern gun-owning atheist I've ever heard of lol.

On a side note, US Cellular seems to be a no go.

I know of at least two others, so we do exist lol

Back on topic, carried into:

Intimate Treasures on Market Street
Amigo's in Elizabethton, where I saw a female plainclothes officer (with very nice clothes, I'm guessing detective) on her way out as I was walking in. She didn't notice.
Advance Auto in Elizabethton

no issues, not even any weird looks

Last edited:

SenfgasTN

It's a little bit off-topic; but, did anybody go to the NASCAR race at Bristol Motor Speedway today? I was on the frontstrech, second row, about 30 feet from the entrance to turn one.

Also, a little bit more on topic, is it illegal to carry a handgun at Bristol Motor Speedway (directly or indirectly)? I know they have signs posted that say "no firearms or other weapons allowed." But, I don't see any signs with a gunbuster or "substantially similar language."

Not that I would carry there. Just wondering.

Acoording to the HCP class at Coal Creek Armory I took two weeks ago, a business can post in any way they see fit, even if it's construction paper with "no guns" written in pencil. Is this the case or was I misled? Also, after looking over this entire thread, it seems to me that most people (at least on this forum) would prefer that no one notice their sidearm. I think I would feel comfortable knowing that people are okay with it and not calling local LEOs, but I have to say that I always notice when someone is carrying. Maybe because of military background in the U.S. Army, but I can't help but feel that it's better that people do recognize who is carrying around them. I think it's always beneficial to know if SHTF who's got firepower and who doesn't. So, I think it's a good thing that the cashier may peer down at your holster, or the barista at Starbucks might stare at your handgun. It lets them know what's up, and if they're educated in any way on handgun laws in TN will let them know you are a law abiding citizen with no criminal background. LEOs are another issue completely. I tend to agree with grapeshot in that not all of them will act with respect and decency. In that case it's time to go through the proper channels (formal complaint) so that they can get remedial training from their organization on the law in TN. Referring specifically to the instance where a LEO began to draw on a citizen OCing. In my encounters with Knoxville Police Dept., most are hard working constitution respecting professionals, but you never know when you're going to encounter a boot cop looking for his first big bust. Otherwise, great thread and looking forward to OCing when my HCP lands in my mailbox.

Oh Shoot

Acoording to the HCP class at Coal Creek Armory I took two weeks ago, a business can post in any way they see fit, even if it's construction paper with "no guns" written in pencil. Is this the case or was I misled? ...

To be statutorily compliant (39-17-1359, which I will paste in below), must be either gunbuster sign (any size or type, not specified) or verbiage that is substantially similar to what is set in the statute.

"no guns" doesn't cut it for example.

However, we can find no cases of anyone charged under this statute yet, nor any case to test the letter of the law regarding signage.

Our illustrious DA has, for example, has opined that one may be charged with carry in a prohibited park, even if there is no signage at all, which of course is mandated in another statute.

Though the penalty for "carrying past a sign" is a Class B Misdemeanor punishable by a "$500 fine only", there is another statute that says one's HCP will be suspended or revoked for a 1359 violation: again, this seems to have not been tested either.

Also, carry in city/county parks is another statute, and signage is exactly mandated as to wording and size, unlike the general prohibition of carry set forth below.

- OS
---------------------------------------------------
39-17-1359. Prohibition at certain meetings -- Posting notice.

(a) (1) An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person who is at a meeting conducted by, or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business entity or government entity.

(2) The prohibition in subdivision (a)(1) shall apply to any person who is authorized to carry a firearm by authority of § 39-17-1351.

(b) (1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be accomplished by displaying one (1) or both of the notices described in subdivision (b)(3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.

(2) The notice required by this section shall be in English, but a duplicate notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited.

(3) (A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

(B) As used in this section, "language substantially similar to" means the sign contains language plainly stating that:

(i) The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law;

(ii) Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the property or building that is posted; and

(iii) Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.

(C) A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited:

(i) The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or

(ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (b)(3).

(c) (1) It is an offense to possess a weapon in a building or on property that is properly posted in accordance with this section.

(2) Possession of a weapon on posted property in violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only of five hundred dollars ($500).

(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to alter, reduce or eliminate any civil or criminal liability that a property owner or manager may have for injuries arising on their property.

(e) The provisions of this section shall not apply to title 70 regarding wildlife laws, rules and regulations.

(f) This section shall not apply to the grounds of any public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof. The carrying of firearms in those areas shall be governed by § 39-17-1311.

Last edited:

Q-Tip

I didn't realize this was the "tell everybody that you're not a Christian" thread.

OCed in Collinwood briefly, then at Wal-Mart this morning. All was well.

SovereignAxe

haha, the thing about being an atheist in the South is that you kindof need to keep your mouth shut about it. that is, if you want to have any semblance of a normal relationship with most of the people around you.

OCed to Crazy Tomato the other day with my fiancee and her sister. IMO it's the best italian food in Johnson City.

edc

My first "negative" experience by some random person.

My girlfriend and I were in a Chinese Buffet. I come back to the table and girl seems a little upset. She didn't tell me until we left, but while I was getting food, a guy at the other table pointed at me and said to his buddies "Look at that dumbass open carrying!"

Hah, oh well.