Thread: Loudoun firearms discharge... Again?

Loudoun firearms discharge... Again?

So im considering 3acres in loudoun county. I would really like to be able to shoot; even just 22lr but i cannot figure out the ordinances.

Loudoun 684

684.06 Discharge of Firearms

a. (1) The Board of Supervisors prohibits the discharge of firearms, except for certain hunting activities provided herein, in the following area of the County:

//not applicable im not in this area//

b. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 50 yards of a highway in the primary or secondary system of state roads.

c. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of any public park or school. Nothing in this section shall be enforced within a national or state park or forest or wildlife management area.

d. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of a building with a current occupancy permit unless the owner or authorized agent has given permission.

//

I meet these requirements but i seem to remember loudoun also having some sort of zoning requirements as well but i cant find them?

Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by conhntr View Post
    So im considering 3acres in loudoun county. I would really like to be able to shoot; even just 22lr but i cannot figure out the ordinances.

Loudoun 684

684.06 Discharge of Firearms

a. (1) The Board of Supervisors prohibits the discharge of firearms, except for certain hunting activities provided herein, in the following area of the County:

//not applicable im not in this area//

b. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 50 yards of a highway in the primary or secondary system of state roads.

c. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of any public park or school. Nothing in this section shall be enforced within a national or state park or forest or wildlife management area.

d. The discharge of firearms is prohibited within 100 yards of a building with a current occupancy permit unless the owner or authorized agent has given permission.

//

I meet these requirements but i seem to remember loudoun also having some sort of zoning requirements as well but i cant find them?

Anyone know?
    Look here http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=1384 . Have fun!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Skid the anove quote was from there but i also found this apparent "catchall"

654.02 UNREASONABLE NOISE.
    (a) Purpose. The making, creation or maintenance of excessive, unnecessary or unusually loud noises which are prolonged, unreasonable or unusual in their time, place and use, affect and are a detriment to the public health, comfort, safety and welfare of the County and its inhabitants. It is therefore hereby declared that the provisions of this section are enacted in pursuance of and for the purpose of securing and promoting the public health, comfort, safety and welfare of the County and of its inhabitants.
    (b) Prohibition. No person shall make, continue, or cause or permit to be made or continued, any excessive, unnecessary or unusually loud or otherwise unreasonable noise, which annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of other persons in the County.
    Acts in violation of this section include, but are not limited to, the following:

//
    Include but not limited to; firearm discharge is not listed. But i dont think shooting for a couple hours saturday afternoon would be unreasonable but who knows

If you have the $$, get supressors for your firearms. If not, shoot "CB-shorts" in your .22 cal. They're very quiet and you can shoot them all day long on just a few $.

A few years ago, we had a troublesome oppossum in our backyard in Norfolk. He very nearly bit one of my dad's Labradors. My younger brother dispatched the critter with "CB Shorts" after the dogs had "tree'd" him. It took several rounds before the critter fell out of the tree, but they worked and we didn't even bother the neighbors! :-X
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

I second that, my cousin use to shoot ravens in his back yard in Santa Ana, CA. a very condensed residential area south of Disneyland. The birds were keeping hom awake during the day and the neighbors never knew.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

I would just shoot sub somics. My concern is legality, im oretty sure ill have a 911 call. So being quiet wont help need to be legal. Its zoned "ar-2" if that helps

CCI quiet 22

CCI claims a 75% reduction in noise.
    The Quiet-22 uses a 40 grain round nose bullet and creeps along at only 710 fps.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...quiet-22-ammo/

I would just shoot sub somics. My concern is legality, im oretty sure ill have a 911 call. So being quiet wont help need to be legal. Its zoned "ar-2" if that helps
    Just don't be SEEN doing it. They are NOT going to hear it at all... and even if they do, they won't recognize the sound for what it is. The sound of your bolt (if using a semi-auto) will be louder than the round's progress.
    Subsonic means what it says...
    A long-barrelled bolt-action rifle is your best bet... I'm NOT suggesting you break the law of course. We are all responsible citizens here. :-)
    Last edited by MSC 45ACP; 01-02-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Skid the anove quote was from there but i also found this apparent "catchall"

654.02 UNREASONABLE NOISE.
    Since discharge of firearms is not listed, do try not to use the term "pound sand" when discussing the issue with any deputy that comes to tell you someone has complained about the noise.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Well i was out looking at the property and heard someone target shooting within a mile so i guess they are used to it. I have a marlin 39 with a looonnnngggg barrel it is nice and wuiet with subsonics.

I realize i shouldnt blast away with my m1 garand but i think the 22 should be fine.

Have you read the stories of the guys who sit at their kitchen table, looking out an open window? What sound there is seems to be swallowed up inside.

And AR-2 zoning gives you a whole lot more leeway than Residential or Commercial would. And a lot more protections - remember to plant your garden in front of the backstop and then apply for your nuisance abatement permit. (Just remember that while neighbors may be a nuisance they canot be abated the same as starlings.)

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Just remember that while neighbors may be a nuisance they canot be abated the same as starlings.)

stay safe.
    How about Dog Hunters?

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    How about Dog Hunters?
    I know some folks who would pay you for the privilege of hunting without dogs on your property.
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ught_was_deer/

And you would not need to import them from Yankeeland!

Just thinking out loud here, boss. Just thinking out loud.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I know some folks who would pay you for the privilege of hunting without dogs on your property.
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ught_was_deer/

And you would not need to import them from Yankeeland!

Just thinking out loud here, boss. Just thinking out loud.

stay safe.
    Yeah but then I'd have people around. I don't need money, I need solitude.

Ive been reading about your problems with the dog hunters for some time. I really hope i dont have those problems!

Our old farm in pa had lots of city folk come by and just dump unwanted pets! But this place is more out of the way